Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

Anyone else see this damaged lens up forsale?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I saw this lens up for sale Sigma 8-16mm(pentax mount) for a steal of a price ~$225 USD. I was instantly like, wait what is wrong with it. It is now ended only two days after initial listing.

Sigma 8 16mm F 4 5 5 6 HSM DC Lens for Pentax 085126203610 | eBay

The description says:

"Still possible to take photographs but has been dropped. Metal rose petal on lens front is dented but glass is in good condition with no markings at all (front and rear). Zoom ring 'turns and turns' and the focal length is stuck on about 9mm (out of the 8mm to 16mm setting). I could sell this for spares or repair but it is still working though on one focal setting. This is an ultra wide angle lens - actually the widest angle lens on the market. When shook the lens makes a rattling sound as though a small part has come loose inside BUT it does still work as an amazing high resolution/high contrast sharp ultra wide angle lens!Please note I have 100% positive feedback"

Not sure if this was anyone on here but seemed odd it was not shown as for repair or parts. The owner later revised it to a lower price (~$165 USD) but insist it is a useable lens stuck at 9mm. Is it me or is that kind of pointless?

11-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Once upon a time I had a Tokina 12-24mm lens repaired. Tokina charged me $100 to fix drop damage that is probably similar to the damage described here.

If you got this for 165 and paid 100 for repair, you might still get a good deal.

This is anecdotal and so forth. You might also get screwed.
11-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The condition of the lens was clearly stated, so I don't see any issue with not putting 'parts or repair' other than possibly wasting peoples time who clicked on the title expecting a mostly functioning lens.

Whether it's worth it or not is up to the buyer to decide.
11-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think that's a great deal as long as it stops down and AF correctly. How often do you see a good 9mm AF prime for $170? Shipping to my place is insane for the price though, and the lens is gone anyway.

11-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I got my dropped 10-17 for $225. Just had to take it apart and straighten out the hood. Works like new :-)

Got my dropped 55-300 DA-L for about $50. Had to buy a new mount for it which was about $7 plus shipping.

Got my DA 50 1.4 for $50 and the only problem was a small amount of fungus behind the front glass.

If I would have seen that lens before it was gone, I might have just picked it up myself. Really sounds like it would have been a super simple fix.
11-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Once upon a time I had a Tokina 12-24mm lens repaired. Tokina charged me $100 to fix drop damage that is probably similar to the damage described here.

If you got this for 165 and paid 100 for repair, you might still get a good deal.

This is anecdotal and so forth. You might also get screwed.
I called up sigma they said it would be $200-300. If you go with a non-manufacturer that's a different story. It may be less. There's no way to tell if it will be back to original though either way. That is the risk anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The condition of the lens was clearly stated, so I don't see any issue with not putting 'parts or repair' other than possibly wasting peoples time who clicked on the title expecting a mostly functioning lens.

Whether it's worth it or not is up to the buyer to decide.
87.5% of the range is not functional. I passed it up even after it was reduced. Didn't seem worth it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I think that's a great deal as long as it stops down and AF correctly. How often do you see a good 9mm AF prime for $170? Shipping to my place is insane for the price though, and the lens is gone anyway.
I'll pass. No AF but Samyang 8mm for $299 new. A lil more than double and get sigma 10-20 new. Shipping was another down portion. Not paying $55 for shipping from CA to USA. Owner wouldn't budge either.

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
I got my dropped 10-17 for $225. Just had to take it apart and straighten out the hood. Works like new :-)

Got my dropped 55-300 DA-L for about $50. Had to buy a new mount for it which was about $7 plus shipping.

Got my DA 50 1.4 for $50 and the only problem was a small amount of fungus behind the front glass.

If I would have seen that lens before it was gone, I might have just picked it up myself. Really sounds like it would have been a super simple fix.
Those that are willing to DIY, then it may have been more worth it.
11-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
I'll pass. No AF but Samyang 8mm for $299 new. A lil more than double and get sigma 10-20 new. Shipping was another down portion. Not paying $55 for shipping from CA to USA. Owner wouldn't budge either.
Samyang is a fisheye, there are lots of options in that range (I think the best is actually Pentax's own DA 10-17), and they all tend to be cheaper that rectilinear ones.

I had the Sigma 10-20 and 90% of the time it was stuck at 10mm anyway. I paid $350 for it. If this was an option when I was in the market, I'd jump on it (as long as the AF works).

But I agree with you that the shipping is killer. I think the owner realized it was priced a little low for what it is and refused to change shipping.

11-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I had the Sigma 10-20 and 90% of the time it was stuck at 10mm anyway. I paid $350 for it. If this was an option when I was in the market, I'd jump on it (as long as the AF works).
I had a bad copy of a tamron 10-24 and need a new UWA..
This is the exact reason I want the 8-16mm. I feel as though I'll be around 10mm too but I know the edge of the FL is not usually the best for that particular lens. On the 8-16, 10 is close to midrange and should be pretty sharp. Do you have the sigma 10-20 f3.5 or f4-5.6. (I presume the latter due to the price you got it at.) How is the image quality? That lens is the runner up.
11-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
I had a bad copy of a tamron 10-24 and need a new UWA..
This is the exact reason I want the 8-16mm. I feel as though I'll be around 10mm too but I know the edge of the FL is not usually the best for that particular lens. On the 8-16, 10 is close to midrange and should be pretty sharp. Do you have the sigma 10-20 f3.5 or f4-5.6. (I presume the latter due to the price you got it at.) How is the image quality? That lens is the runner up.
I had the f/4-5.6 version. Interestingly the 10-20 (including my copy) is actually at its best at around 10mm, similar to what photozone reported. Sigma did a great job choosing their battles on that lens, they know that people buy it for the 10mm, not the rest of the zoom range. Imo it is the best value UWA. The 10-20/3.5 is slightly less sharp at 10mm, but sharper at the rest of the range, or so I heard.

Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis