Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA HD vs SMC built quality

Has anyone observed a difference in the built quality between the two series? I happened to fiddle a DA40 HD and was surprised how damped and smoothed the focus ring is. The whole lens seems to be built to tighter tolerances with little wobble if any. My good old DA40 SMC felt altogether looser (even when it was newly bought), similar to the rest of the SMC bunch. I am wondering if it is an issue with batch variation or that the HD's manufacturing process was indeed improved. I did recall going through three copies of the DA70 SMC to find a copy that has minimal wobble to the lens barrel though.

Last edited by scorpioh; 11-01-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Lens barrel rather than focusing ring of the DA70
11-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
Has anyone observed a difference in the built quality between the two series? I happened to fiddle a DA40 HD and was surprised how damped and smoothed the focus ring is. The whole lens seems to be built to tighter tolerances with little wobble if any. My good old DA40 SMC felt altogether looser (even when it was newly bought), similar to the rest of the SMC bunch. I am wondering if it is an issue with batch variation or that the HD's manufacturing process was indeed improved. I did recall going through three copies of the DA70 SMC to find a copy that has minimal wobble to the focusing ring though.
Really interesting... for me the one of the values of DA ltd is the intangible fun I have while using it. Might be a worthwhile upgrade if focusing ring is dampened!
11-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone observed a difference in the built quality between the two series? I happened to fiddle a DA40 HD and was surprised how damped and smoothed the focus ring is. The whole lens seems to be built to tighter tolerances with little wobble if any. My good old DA40 SMC felt altogether looser (even when it was newly bought), similar to the rest of the SMC bunch. I am wondering if it is an issue with batch variation or that the HD's manufacturing process was indeed improved. I did recall going through three copies of the DA70 SMC to find a copy that has minimal wobble to the focusing ring though.
This wasn't my impression after playing with the lenses, but then again, the demo models tend to get abuse. I'll have all 10 SMC/HD limiteds in hand next week to do some testing

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This wasn't my impression after playing with the lenses, but then again, the demo models tend to get abuse. I'll have all 10 SMC/HD limiteds in hand next week to do some testing
I see. I only had a brief touch on a relatively new demo copy of the HD40 and was immediately surprised by the apparent tight tolerances. Do keep us posted. Thanks!

11-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

My 40 Limited SMC and 70 Limited SMC are beautifully damped and smooth. Construction is of a very high standard on both. I bought both of them...new... within the past 18 months.
11-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My 40 Limited SMC and 70 Limited SMC are beautifully damped and smooth. Construction is of a very high standard on both. I bought both of them...new... within the past 18 months.
I see. I got my mine like 4-5 years ago. Then Pentax could likely have improved their manufacturing and probably not due to the HD and SMC differences. Ok, apart from the subjectivity of "beautifully damped and smooth" though.
11-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I see. I got my mine like 4-5 years ago. Then Pentax could likely have improved their manufacturing and probably not due to the HD and SMC differences. Ok, apart from the subjectivity of "beautifully damped and smooth" though.
First thing I noticed when I got my 40 and 70 Limited was how tight they were.

Photo quality is very sharp with both my 40 and 70.

11-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just to clarify, I only accept Takumars as the gold standard of "Dampened"

Compared to Taks the only AF lenses that I'd even consider decently "dampened" is Sigma 10-20mm and Nikon AFS 85mm 1.8.

DA 40 while not as bad as pentax's cheaper lenses, are nowhere close to taks.
11-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Maybe ur da 40 smc is not ok cos my da 40 is very smooth and well made lens...
11-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I could compare the 21 and 40 first hand at the Québec city photo expo yesterday and there was absolutely no difference between the two versions. The rep said only the coating and looks were different
11-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Maybe ur da 40 smc is not ok cos my da 40 is very smooth and well made lens...
X 2...good point
11-02-2013, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

You could as well do something else with those ten baby's

11-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'll have all 10 SMC/HD limiteds in hand next week to do some testing
:O
Pleaase take a bunch of photos of them all lined up, that sounds really amazing

Last edited by Na Horuk; 11-03-2013 at 03:46 PM.
11-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
:O
Pleaase take a bunch of photos of them all lines up, that sounds really amazing
Will do The DA 70mm (SMC) is still on back-order but I'm hoping it'll be in before the HD's get here next week.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #15

now that will be a comparison test I'm looking forward too!