Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #1

Waiting for Ricoh built 60-250....

OK, in another thread, I asked if a red ring 60-250 was in the offing any time soon. General consensus, NO. I had asked that after reading of another forum member buying the 60-250 from B&H and having SDM problems from the get go. Funny thing, the poster said it was labeled as Hoya being the parent company. This indicates to me the there are still a lot of old Hoya period lenses still on shelves waiting to be bought then sent in for SDM replacement maybe or more likely maybe not under warranty,

Since Pentax supposedly corrected the problem, I would suspect that any lens bearing Ricoh on the box should be a safer bet to not eventually get a frozen SDM module. So where can someone buy a 60-250 that was produced in the last year and labeled Ricoh. If B&H is still selling old Hoya stock, then who would have a more recently produced model. Is Rocoh even making any of the DA* lenses at this time? Has anyone bought a DA* lens that had Ricoh on the box? I would love to get this lens paired with a K-3 but only if I know I am getting a lens that has not languished on someone's shelf for a few years. Yes many have bought DA* lenses that were and still are problems free but why play Russian roulette if you don't have to.

11-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buy a 60-250 and then immediately send it in for SDM replacement?
11-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Wow, that is almost the only viable solution. I know it is not just Pentax. Nikon sold all those problematic D600s only to put the fix in a new model. At least with the SDM situation, you can get it fixed. It seems that it would be worth the trouble to recall the unsold stock, fix them and say so. I would expect new sales would more than offset the cost of the fixes. The other tacked is to let your questionable stock sit and hope that they work while people like me start to look elsewhere for my birding and tele needs.
11-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Wow, that is almost the only viable solution. I know it is not just Pentax. Nikon sold all those problematic D600s only to put the fix in a new model. At least with the SDM situation, you can get it fixed. It seems that it would be worth the trouble to recall the unsold stock, fix them and say so. I would expect new sales would more than offset the cost of the fixes. The other tacked is to let your questionable stock sit and hope that they work while people like me start to look elsewhere for my birding and tele needs.
While I understand that you are concerned to spend a lot of many I don't think there is a reason to assume "questionable stock" or that an immediate replacement of SDM may be needed. Yes, one forum member had a bad experince and this is very embarrasing and unfortunate for him. But as far as I can see the general SDM reliabilty in the DA 4/60-250 has been good. At least nothing for example in the user reviews here in the forum is indicating any major risk. I am using this lens since years also under tough conditions and never had any issues. I would not hesitate to buy again.

11-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK there have been very few issues with 60-250 SDM. I believe there was an interview with Pentax engineer at one point that said the 60-250 used a different SDM component than the 16-50 and 50-135.

Also, if I remember the post you mention that was not at all a typical SDM failure. The lens died suddenly, "with a burnt smell", not the way the usual SDM problems show up which is a gradual decline in performance and getting 'stuck' and then eventually not working anymore.

As to when you might see Ricoh boxed 60-250? Who knows, maybe never. We have no idea how much product was in the pipeline when Ricoh took over and the 60-250 is not a fast seller. It could be replaced by HD version next month or could be old stock for years.

If you want the lens get it and don't worry about it. Anything you buy can break, if you second guess things so much you never get anything. Buy the extended warranty if you think you should. SDM repairs seem to run maybe $200 (out of warranty) so get a 7 year Mack warranty if it costs less than that, or put $200 in your piggy bank 'just in case'.

I know, it's expensive and you don't want problems, but balance that with not having the lens, what joy are you going to get from that?

My k-5 died with a stuck mirror at 40,000 actuations. I knew that was a potential problem and it might have to get fixed at some point, but that did not stop me from making 40,000 exposures (one or two of which I think are quite nice)
11-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

You understand that the new red ringing it is deployed as a symbol for the new HD coating generation? Which is inferior to the coating used in the DA* lenses, and all importantly have nothing to do with autofocus motors.

Fear mongering appart, SDM failure nowadays is only a bad moment since component are always replaced with the (less failure proof) new generation. Of course, they will fail in time, this is the drawback to enjoy fast and silent focusing, just ask Nikon/Canon users that have 10 years lenses.
11-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
You understand that the new red ringing it is deployed as a symbol for the new HD coating generation? Which is inferior to the coating used in the DA* lenses, and all importantly have nothing to do with autofocus motors.

Fear mongering appart, SDM failure nowadays is only a bad moment since component are always replaced with the (less failure proof) new generation. Of course, they will fail in time, this is the drawback to enjoy fast and silent focusing, just ask Nikon/Canon users that have 10 years lenses.
This is the first time I've read that the HD coating is inferior to the SMC one.
11-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
This is the first time I've read that the HD coating is inferior to the SMC one.
Dont know what the 60-250 has specifically, but I believe the reference was to the Aero Bright coatings that are used on some * lenses.

11-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the pep talk. I received one of the first K-3s shipped in the US and right off the diopter adjustment did not work. It went back so waiting on refund from Pentax to order from B&H. Will order both at same time with fingers crossed. ;-)
12-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
I ordered the DA* 60-250mm zoom during the B&H Black Friday sale. It has yet to arrive and just received another sorry for the wait email from B&H. This normally means the item is sold out and you are waiting for new stock to be built. Is it at all possible that they are being made as I type. It would be quite exciting to get it with in a Ricoh box. Fingers crossed....
12-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The forum member who had trouble with his lens, DA* 60-250, has returned his lens to Pentax and they are sending him a new one. So we're discussing a problem that has been resolved.

Here's my first DA* 60-250 image, Feb. 16, 2011. Taken with my old K20D.

Here's my last image taken yesterday

My rough estimate would be that I've taken 25,000 images with this lens over the last 3 years. ( I actually have almost 5,000 images on my computer. At my usual keeper rate, that probably represents more like 50,000 images, I'm being real conservative in this estimate.) It has fallen from the backseat of my car to the parking lot. It's been carried for 100s or kilometres in a Pelican case, and hundreds more in a waist belt holster.

My opinion is, I know at some point this lens is going to need repair, and I should probably send it in for a good cleaning and alignment right now… but a lens is like anything else. Don't buy it if you can't maintain it. Screw drive lenses have been very reliable over a long period of time, so maybe you don't want this lens. Maybe you want the Tamron 70-200. But, about 10% of those are defective on arrival and have to be returned, at least if you look at the results in the lens review section. Last time I checked there were 33 reviews and 3 of them had to be returned. So, I'm not really sure what a solution would be. The other sad thing is I read a review from a Canon shooter who sold all her Canon gear and switched to Nikon, because of a similar problem she had with one of her Canon lenses. I personally have received and returned a Sigma lens as well.

It's hard to accept, but this kind of thing is just part of the game, no matter who's lens you buy. If you want the DA*60-250, just buy it. It's as good as it gets, no matter what you buy. If not, the DA 55-300 looks nice. Save your money and just buy a new one if it ever breaks.

The thing about the DA* 60-250 is, it just seems to get better and better every time I upgrade the body. Each upgrade makes it the "latest thing since sliced bread" all over again.

But no matter what lens you buy, put it through it's paces as soon as you get it, and return it if you suspect anything is wrong with it. Buy from a retailer who will do an over the counter exchange, or the equivalent on-line. It's up to you to make sure your lens arrives in working order. Anything that's wrong with the lens on arrival will be getting worse very shortly, not better. Having had to return two Sigma 120-400s and then finding the IQ un-acceptable before breaking down and spending the extra money on the DA *60-250, I picked up the 60-250 from the store, and gave it a good workout in the parking lot before I drove away. After my experience with the Sigma 120-400, al I can say is, you could do a lot worse than what anyone here has experienced with a DA*60-250. At least after you've been through the hassle if you have the bad luck to get a defective copy, you'll have a great lens.

Last edited by normhead; 12-17-2013 at 09:24 AM.
12-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
wgb

Just noticed this thread, and in case anyone is still interested, checked the box for the 60-250 that I ordered from B&H on Black Friday (S/N 9229478). It says PENTAX - A RICOH COMPANY and PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CO., LTD on the bottom. It does not mention RICOH elsewhere on the box, but included a Notification of Change in Company Name, saying that PRIC would be renamed RICOH IMAGING COMPANY on August 1, 2013. The HD 55-300 that I ordered from B&H on October 17, 2013 (S/N 4261867), by the way, came in a box that says RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD on the bottom, as well as RICOH on the top and sides, and interestingly also included the same Notification of Change in Company Name. So the 60-250 that I got from B&H on Black Friday does mention RICOH, not Hoya, and from a quick check of our Serial Number Database, would appear to be relatively recent stock. In any case, both the 60-250 and HD 55-300 seem to be fine at this point ... knock on wood.
12-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Forum Member

I recieved a 60-250 a couple weeks ago as a christmas gift, no mention of hoya anywhere, just Ricoh ! They are out there.
12-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #14

Original Poster
Well, with a sigh of relief, my 60-250 arrived today and like others, it is a Ricoh. Seems quite well made. Now to see if it stands the test of time. Matched with my new to me K-5 IIs. I am ready for the birds of spring. If we have another warm spell, maybe a shot at the nature preserve.