Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
replace or repair FA 50 mm 1/4??

Last weekend my FA 50 1.4 quit focusing It was odd, I had used it the day before and it was fine, took it out the next day, wouldn't focus. Put it on a different body, nothing. It's my go to lens right now during my busy season doing family and Senior portraits (I'm learning to love my 50 - 135 while my 50 is down) But I'm curious if it's worth fixing. I have an e mail in to CRIS and Eric from the pentax repair site but when I put in for a quote from CRIS I got a message saying that some of the parts for this lens may not be available. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with having a 50 1/4 fixed? Is it possible? Or should I just buy a new one, since they are only $399?

I am anxious to hear back from both sites regarding this, but wanted to ask here hoping someone will say they've had one repaired recently no problem!

I think I can make it through my busy time with what I have and then replace the 50 in the Spring before next busy season starts. I'd rather not spend the $ right now right before the Holidays. But I feel lost without it!

11-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure it wasnt bumped or dropped or something? Does the camera even try to AF but is unsuccessful, or nothing at all?

Here are the things you can check on your own, to come closer to finding out what the problem is:
Can you check the lens mount and make sure the contacts and AF screw are clear of particles or dirt?
Does MF work normally, does the focus ring turn smoothly?
Does catch in focus (focus trapping) work?
11-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric Repairs Them...

I'm sorry to hear of your problem! My daughter is a photographer and hers failed a few months ago (she had to use her A50/f2 to get by), so I sent hers to Eric. He did a SUPERB job at a very reasonable price. The repair plus shipping to and from Eric was much less than buying even a used one.

-Joe-
11-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are you sure it wasnt bumped or dropped or something? Does the camera even try to AF but is unsuccessful, or nothing at all?

Here are the things you can check on your own, to come closer to finding out what the problem is:
Can you check the lens mount and make sure the contacts and AF screw are clear of particles or dirt?
Does MF work normally, does the focus ring turn smoothly?
Does catch in focus (focus trapping) work?
It tries to focus, it makes a noise kind of like a grunt. sorry, I can't think of any other way to describe it. It will not manual focus either. The focus ring does move smoothly, Contacts seem clean and free of particles. I will have to look into focus trapping and try that. I'm not familiar...I'll look it up. Thanks for the reply

11-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
I'm sorry to hear of your problem! My daughter is a photographer and hers failed a few months ago (she had to use her A50/f2 to get by), so I sent hers to Eric. He did a SUPERB job at a very reasonable price. The repair plus shipping to and from Eric was much less than buying even a used one.

-Joe-
Glad to hear that. I have an email in to Eric. I'm anxious to hear what he says! Thanks!
11-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

With the lens off of the camera, move the focus ring. Does the screw drive spin?

when you move the focus ring, can you see the glass inside the lens moving?

There really isn't much in the 50 1.4 to really go wrong unless something came loose or a gear stripped.
11-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
With the lens off of the camera, move the focus ring. Does the screw drive spin?

when you move the focus ring, can you see the glass inside the lens moving?

There really isn't much in the 50 1.4 to really go wrong unless something came loose or a gear stripped.
With the lens off camera, the screw drive does spin. But I can not see the glass inside moving.