Photos: Gallery | Albums
f1.8 constant aperture vs. f2.8 - f4.0
$800 vs. $1000 suggested pricing

nuff said.

11-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're writing off a lens you haven't seen.
That is true, it may give fantastic IQ.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The simple fact is, you don't appear to be Pentax users for the right reasons. Portability, and compact size and rugged construction are the three features that really stand out in the brand.

Well when I joined Pentax they were about VERY good lenses and affordability. And yes, the portability and compact size, which were added later, were a very welcome bonus indeed. But for exactly those reasons a different brand is much more attractive now.

11-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well when I joined Pentax they were about VERY good lenses and affordability. And yes, the portability and compact size, which were added later, were a very welcome bonus indeed. But for exactly those reasons a different brand is much more attractive now.
I believe those days were unsustainable. IMO it's a good thing it ended otherwise I believe K-3, DA 60-250, DA 15, or heck, K-7 wouldn't have seen the light of day. (I hope you're referring to the earliest days of Pentax digital, so that I dont lose face )
11-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #49

The 20-40 needs to be sold for $750, then it's a good value proposition relative to the other limiteds. It's charm: teeny tiny. I got into Pentax for small sized quality. This lens is that. As others said, you're trading large aperture opening for small size. Physics. There are enough huge, plastic zooms around. Nice alternative.

Don't forget this as well: investment. The limited will hold its value over time. The Sigma, not nearly as much.

Love the DC motor. Keep it up, Ricoh.

11-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I believe those days were unsustainable. IMO it's a good thing it ended otherwise I believe K-3, DA 60-250, DA 15, or heck, K-7 wouldn't have seen the light of day. (I hope you're referring to the earliest days of Pentax digital, so that I dont lose face )
I'm not so sure I think the only chance Pentax has is being the "more affordable" no nonsense brand that it used to be.
Once you start going for premium prices it limits growth longer term.

Canikon have the advantage they have many price points covered in lenses and bodies.
Pentax are quite good bang per buck in terms of bodies, even now the K5II is a heck of a camera for quite a reasonable price (if you remember the launch price of the original K-5 it's a deal)

Problem isn't for longer standing Pentax users, most of them have the glass they need and will only add the odd one here and there. For people looking to buy into Pentax from scratch, the Ricoh inspired price hikes (far more severe than the hoya ones) will simply push buyers to Canikon (mostly)
Pentax lenses have gone up far higher, and by a much larger % than any of their 3 main rivals.

They've priced themselves out of the market IMO, and have no chance to actually grow in market share. Ricoh have gone gold digging and will strip the shop bare.
11-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
The 20-40 needs to be sold for $750, then it's a good value proposition relative to the other limiteds. It's charm: teeny tiny. I got into Pentax for small sized quality. This lens is that. As others said, you're trading large aperture opening for small size. Physics. There are enough huge, plastic zooms around. Nice alternative.

Don't forget this as well: investment. The limited will hold its value over time. The Sigma, not nearly as much.

Love the DC motor. Keep it up, Ricoh.
Agreed on the $750.

While I really find this lens intriguing, There are a lot of other lenses I'd rather spend $1000 on.
11-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #52
Forum Member

I wanted the Sigma 18-35, but at 800g and the big size, despite the excellent f1.8, I lose interest. I mean I cursed the weight of the SIgma 17-70 (470g) and when going on walks in the countryside. At times, I actually left the sigma home at brought the 18-55! And that's on the k-x the lighter and smaller of Pentax DSLRs. The 20-40 don't have 18mm but it's got 40, which is what I need more than 18; and 20 is not much of a penalty. f2.8-4 is more difficult to digest at first, but after seeing the size, the weight, the WR and the look of it, 200 dollars more is not something I will be missing. Love it!
11-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #53
rlatjsrud

Da limited zoom has only advantage of
1. Unique
2. Metal lens
3. HD coating
4. 20mm f2.8
5. DC motor
6. WR
7. Weight
8. Size

that's it. It has to be more cheaper. Not almost same as 16-50!!! I thought Nikon sell little bit more expensive than other brands but Pentax also doing same as Nikon did...

11-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
How much will you be thinking of the 200 dollar saving after spending a whole day traipsing around a city or place of interest? After 3 or 4 hrs you'll be feeling every gram of difference between the Sigma and Limited. Think of somewhere like Rome, 40 degC, thieves prowling around :P, who will they spot first? the person with the Sigma mounted or the person with the more discrete Limited?
Still they will both have their fans and detractors.
Exercise more. Also, heavier lenses make nice bludgeons.
11-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I hope you're being facetious. My GF is an accountant. She lives on her laptop. She travels to clients by day and uses her laptop. She d/l the days work at night to her desktop.
In fact she has 2 laptops, with 2 diff OS because some programs aren't compatible with certain OS.

Owning one does not preclude owning the other, because they serve completely different functions.

In fact, given the strengths of the Sigma and the speculated strengths of the Pentax, with a big enough budget a photographer could make an argument for owning both because I think they serve two completely different functions.

Trying to make a street lens a landscape lens and vice versa is a compromise and will always result in some sort of penalty. Do most of our budgets require a compromise or some sort, yes, so decide what is your style (street or landscape) and go with the lens suited for that. I don't think we'll ever see a 10-70 f1.4 lens with a 55mm filter size and corner to corner Pro IQ that weighs less than a pound and 0 distortion and vignetting on a FF image circle for less than 500. (Do the laws of physics even allow such a thing?)

So we compromise.
Exactly! I'm getting older but I still enjoy hiking and bring my camera everywhere. An ideal lens would be the DA 12-24 for landscape and the wide shots I take at car shows. But it's a big, heavy brute so I carry the DA 15 and DA 40 and crop in PP if I need to. If this new lens delivers the IQ we can expect from a Limited, I'll be very interested.
11-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I'm excited about this lens. WR, small and unobtrusive. I can't wait to see the review on it. I do think it's a bit expensive especially when you can buy the FA 31 on sale for the same price.
11-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A number of people are dismissing this lens on the basis of a recommended selling price, and without seeing what it can do. In spite of the expressed outrage whenever the recommended selling prices of Pentax lenses went up in the US, the lenses kept selling, partly because the actual prices were often lower for one reason or another, and partly because some buyers came to value them more highly. As far as I know, they never really stopped selling in other parts of the world. Now, prices seem to have stabilised worldwide, and local retailers are selling them (mostly) for reasonable prices. I don't expect the DA20-40 to be any different.

If it lives up the Limited reputation for IQ, I think it will sell well to people who value the compact size, light weight, WR and range for certain applications. If that's not for you, then fine: maybe weight isn't an issue but aperture and width are, so the Sigma 18-35/1.8 may be suitable, or whatever. It's no accident that more than one or two people here have a number of lenses that are similar in range, but have different other attributes – clearly, they've recognised that different lenses suit different purposes, even if they appear similar in one respect.

The constant harping on about low price ("value" is such a misused term, when people really mean "cheap") is really skewing discussions, and it makes Pentax users look like a bunch of cheapskates. Is it any wonder some people feel that Pentax/Ricoh is ignoring them?
11-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #58
Pentaxian

If I were to stay APS-C, there are two lenses which I would really like to have: the 15mm f/4 Limited, and this 20-40 f/2.8-4 Limited zoom (besides the others). Of course, assuming the Limited zoom has top-notch optics.
The Sigma is just too big, while this Limited zoom is almost as small as the kit lens.
Of course, it's quite expensive but it's not mandatory to hurry and pay the full launch price.

If I were to go "full frame", I hope there'll be an equivalent Limited zoom for it, too. I would most likely buy that.
11-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #59

You can't compare the DA 20-40mm to the Sigma 18-35mm/1.8, two different beast, if you want to shoot in low light buy he Sigma but if you shoot landscape or want a small WR lens with great build quality buy the DA20-40mm. As for IQ i have no doubt that the DA20-40mm will deliver, but we will have to wait and see.
BTW, i saw some review/shots taken with the Sigma and it tends to flare a lot.
11-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
I'm not so sure I think the only chance Pentax has is being the "more affordable" no nonsense brand that it used to be.
Once you start going for premium prices it limits growth longer term.

Canikon have the advantage they have many price points covered in lenses and bodies.
Pentax are quite good bang per buck in terms of bodies, even now the K5II is a heck of a camera for quite a reasonable price (if you remember the launch price of the original K-5 it's a deal)

Problem isn't for longer standing Pentax users, most of them have the glass they need and will only add the odd one here and there. For people looking to buy into Pentax from scratch, the Ricoh inspired price hikes (far more severe than the hoya ones) will simply push buyers to Canikon (mostly)
Pentax lenses have gone up far higher, and by a much larger % than any of their 3 main rivals.

They've priced themselves out of the market IMO, and have no chance to actually grow in market share. Ricoh have gone gold digging and will strip the shop bare.
Exactly! Many here were long-time PENTAX user and have collected many lenses, so a $1000 lens doesn't seem a lot to them. But for a person starting from scratch, I don't think they will see PENTAX as best value brand, looking at current lens prices. If I start now, I probably will not choose PENTAX.

The 20-40 is overpriced, in Japan it sell for 88000 yen ($900) so Ricoh US is greedy. I think it should at least be competitive to the 18-35, pricing it at $750-800.