Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good place for Pentax hoods?

I recently bought a FA 28-200mm lens without a hood. It looks like the original hood part number is PH-RBA72. Where is a good place to find this hood, or a compatible replacement, at a decent price? I found one on eBay but the seller is asking $27 for it.

Thanks!

11-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can try KEH from time to time. Pentax Autofocus Lens Shades and Hoods - KEH.com
11-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't mind the looks of a rubber hood, they can be had very cheaply. The 3-position collapsible ones work well - they screw onto your lens' filter ring.
11-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best Replacement?

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
If you don't mind the looks of a rubber hood, they can be had very cheaply. The 3-position collapsible ones work well - they screw onto your lens' filter ring.
I believe these are the best replacement if you can't find an OEM. The problem with super-zoom hoods is they have to be wide and short enough to not vignette at the short end, which means they don't do much at the tele end. With the rubber ones, you can just collapse them back for wide-angle shots and pop them back to full-length for everything else.
FWIW, Sigma has a great hood design on some of their zooms, the hood attaches to the outer lens barrel, (not the part that moves during zoom) so when you zoom to wide angle, the hood effectively becomes shorter, and vice versa.
Ron

11-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you do get the rubber collapsible model, you might want to buy a few of them--the rubber tends to tear along the folds after a few months use.
11-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had that lens years ago and oddly the only OEM hood I could find was on ebay @ $27 I've since sold the lens on but if I remember right the hood made a big difference on that lens.
11-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The lens flares pretty bad and almost all detail is washed out. I suppose this would make it a good "artsy" lens!

I remember seeing these 3-way hoods a long time ago but I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder! Kinda sad to hear that they tend to tear after a few months.

11-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The lens flares pretty bad and almost all detail is washed out. I suppose this would make it a good "artsy" lens!

I remember seeing these 3-way hoods a long time ago but I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder! Kinda sad to hear that they tend to tear after a few months.
I have a few of those 3 way rubber hoods, and they are at least 3 yrs old. None of them show signs of tearing. They're only used occasionally, and I keep them in plastic bags in a drawer. YMMV!