Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Also, I just remembered that some third party K mount lenses may require the filing down of the flange the protrudes from the back of the lens just inside of the aperture lever. Sometimes these are really long and they can hit the SDM contacts inside of the lens mount preventing you from twisting the lens all of the way on to the camera.

11-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
Also, I just remembered that some third party K mount lenses may require the filing down of the flange the protrudes from the back of the lens just inside of the aperture lever. Sometimes these are really long and they can hit the SDM contacts inside of the lens mount preventing you from twisting the lens all of the way on to the camera.
Ok, I'll keep an eye out for that.
11-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Adaptall should read "no optics" as their Pentax adapters make them just like any native lens, and with a PKA adapter you even get aperture control from the body, full metering, etc.

T-mount: a proper T-mount should allow those lenses to be used just like an m42 -- no optics, infinity focus yes.

Minolta: I think there are Minolta to m42 adapters, so you could do it that way. You'd definitely lose infinity.
I updated the list with your comments.
Probably wouldn't on any of the APS-C digital bodies, only full-frame film SLRs. There are a couple Yashinon-DX models to look out for also, but that is very very rare. Most m42s are fine.
If there aren't many to look out for, can you list the ones to look out for (if you remember them)?
11-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
If there aren't many to look out for, can you list the ones to look out for (if you remember them)?
The only one I know of is the Yashinon 21mm f3.3, it is quite unique and very rare.

11-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The only one I know of is the Yashinon 21mm f3.3, it is quite unique and very rare.
okay, thank you. I'm always on the lookout for rare lenses and that sounds exactly like something I might have bought if I found it so thank you. Your information isn't wasted. Do you happen to know if Arri lenses (in Arri mount) can be adapted to Pentax aps-c? I couldn't find any adapters so far
11-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
okay, thank you. I'm always on the lookout for rare lenses and that sounds exactly like something I might have bought if I found it so thank you.
If you do find one and the price is reasonable, buy it anyway and pick up a used K-01, it will work fine on that body.

Review by konraDarnok:
http://imgur.com/a/TCRG0
11-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If you do find one and the price is reasonable, buy it anyway and pick up a used K-01, it will work fine on that body.

Review by konraDarnok:
Yashinon-DX 1:3.3 f=21mm Yashica - Imgur
the purple vignetting really bothers me but some of the pictures also looked interesting, it might make a good lens for some situations when you want a different "feel" for the image

11-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The Yashinon 21mm is a very rare and bizarre lens -- don't think it fits in ANY camera without mirror lock-up being used -- it has a special attachment.

I was talking about the common Yashinon-DX 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 (only the DX versions) -- at infinity the rear sticks out more than any other lens I know of. (I'd never heard about the Isco Westromat linked above, nor had one, but they are much less common anyway.) So the Yashinons are *probably* fine on any of the Pentax APS-C SLR bodies but at infinity might just graze the mirror. I've used them on the K10D, the K-7, and the K-5 with no trouble, but I have heard a few people saying the mirror hit them on their K20Ds. (No damage is likely, as long as you don't keep doing it.) They would not work with a full-frame mirror, no way (except on the original Yashinon film body they were designed for -- they don't even work on later Yashinons).

I thought the K-01 might be a good option for these, but without the prism box, there is no open area at the top so if you go to infinity in starts screwing into the inner frame of the camera. So they are actually more dangerous to the K-01.
11-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #24

The Yashinon 21mm is a very rare and bizarre lens -- don't think it fits in ANY camera without mirror lock-up being used -- it has a special attachment.

I was talking about the common Yashinon-DX 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 (only the DX versions) -- at infinity the rear sticks out more than any other lens I know of. (I'd never heard about the Isco Westromat linked above, nor had one, but they are much less common anyway.) So the Yashinons are *probably* fine on any of the Pentax APS-C SLR bodies but at infinity might just graze the mirror. I've used them on the K10D, the K-7, and the K-5 with no trouble, but I have heard a few people saying the mirror hit them on their K20Ds. (No damage is likely, as long as you don't keep doing it.) They would not work with a full-frame mirror, no way (except on the original Yashinon film body they were designed for -- they don't even work on later Yashinons).

I thought the K-01 might be a good option for these, but without the prism box, there is no open area at the top so if you go to infinity in starts screwing into the inner frame of the camera. So they are actually more dangerous to the K-01.
I can test both of these lenses on a K-x and/or K30, if people are interested. Of course there are different versions even within the DX line, so it isn't a catch-all.

Oddly, I've had Yashinon lenses that fouled the mirror of some Yashica m42 film SLRs. It's a little bit crazy.

They really do produce nice images, though.
11-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #25
Inactive Account

I never had a problem with my Yashinon DX 50mm f1.7. I don't have it anymore, but I'm pretty sure the rear element at infinity protruded more than the aperture pin, which is uncommon in M42 lenses.

Some that had problems might have had the rear group unscrewed slightly or it was misadjusted in some way.
11-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
Oddly, I've had Yashinon lenses that fouled the mirror of some Yashica m42 film SLRs. It's a little bit crazy.
Yes, it even warns about them in the manual of the later Yashinon bodies. The ones I'm referring to are the DX "auto" models, although the non-auto ones may be the same -- I didn't even know any existed until recently, never seen one in person.
11-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #27

Yes, it even warns about them in the manual of the later Yashinon bodies. The ones I'm referring to are the DX "auto" models, although the non-auto ones may be the same -- I didn't even know any existed until recently, never seen one in person.
That's funny. I'm a bit of a Yashica collector, so I actually own a few Yashica camera manuals, but I must admit, I've never read any of them! (Aside from the part where it tells you which incredibly rare battery you need).
12-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Some M42 lenses may foul some Pentax APS-C DSLR body mirrors
when focused at infinity:
Amazing that they worked just fine with the same registration distance and the much larger/longer mirrors found in cameras such as the Pentax Spotmatic*.

Steve

*simple fabric hinge...no articulated mirror travel...
12-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Amazing that they worked just fine with the same registration distance and the much larger/longer mirrors found in cameras such as the Pentax Spotmatic.
Amazing? Maybe. But true? Not necessarily.

Case in point, my Isco Westromat 35/2.8 wouldn't play nice with my Spotmatic.

For reports of this lens fouling a K-7 and an H3v, check the 7 Nov. 2011, 11:29 pm post on

Isco G
12-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Case in point, my Isco Westromat 35/2.8 wouldn't play nice with my Spotmatic.

For reports of this lens fouling a K-7 and an H3v, check the 7 Nov. 2011, 11:29 pm post on

Isco G
I would not find interference with an H3v surprising at all. It was not unusual back in the day to have a lens that would fail to clear the mirror on a camera with a reasonable length mirror (required to avoid top margin black-out with telephoto lenses). I would, however, find it very surprising on an APS-C camera since the mirror should be only about 2/3 as long. That being said, I am not willing to call the two MF Forum user liars.

Along with the K-7, the thread also mentions problems with the K20D with that lens. What is even more puzzling is that there is another thread on MF Forum where a user posts photos from the same lens taken with a Sony A700 FF.

So, when in doubt, do a little visual comparison. Looking at the K10D...Looking at the SV (same as H3v). Now if that is not strange. The leading edge of the mirror on both cameras is about the same depth from the lens flange when raised. The mirror on the K10D (and presumably other Pentax dSLRs is outsized on the short axis.

Dang. Something new to remember...

Steve