Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 249
Lenses mountable on Pentax APS-C bodies?

This is a lazy question (I'm too lazy to read through dozens or maybe hundreds of threads): Which lenses are easily mountable on Pentax aps-c bodies? Easily means that you can just buy an adapter for $50 or less (m42, t2, Tamrom AA, MD and FD) or file away something that anyone who isn't technically oriented and doesn't own a workshop can do. Infinity focus is not necessary (please mention if it's possible or not) but I would like to exclude lenses that "mount but they won't focus further than 1-2 meters away" I would like to If I get enough replies I will make this thread into a list that everyone can use as a resource. Most older Nikon F mount lenses apparently mount on Pentax aps-c without a problem, the mount doesn't necessarily lock but otherwise should work. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The list so far:

•M42: M42 to PK adapter (no optics)
•T-mount (T/T2): T or T2 to PK adapter (a proper T-mount should allow those lenses to be used just like an m42 -- no optics, infinity focus)
•Tamron Adaptall: tAA to PK adapter (no optics) their Px adapters make them just like any native lens,you even get aperture contro/full metering
•MD: MD to PK adapter (Minolta: I think there are Minolta to m42 adapters, so you could do it that way. You'd definitely lose infinity)
•FD: Canon FD to PK adapter (?)
•M32: M32->M42 adapter + M42->PK adapter (no optics?)
•Nikon F: Older lenses work as is, but slight differenfce in registration distance can cause focus issues
•••NF to PK adapter will usually let you focus to infinity and take care of the focusing problem (with optics, -1 stop light) •Kiev 6/Kiev60: K6/K60 to PK adapter


Last edited by tripodquest; 11-12-2013 at 02:14 AM.
11-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,401
Try this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...sions-lba.html

You can get mechanical only adaptors for M42, plus Pentax medium format to slr, but there are tons of optically corrected adaptors, which work like teleconverters as well.
11-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 239
Not an extensive list, but the mounts that I have used successfully and that provide a full range of focus (near to infinity) on a Pentax PK Mount Camera are:

M39 (not to be confused with L39) - use a small M39 to M42 adapter ring and then an M42 to PK adapter (I have used an M39 to PK adapter but all of the ones I have found have flanges and do not focus to infinity)
.
M42 - use an authentic Pentax M42 to PK adapter for infinity focus. Most M42 lenses present no issues, but some auto aperture M42 lenses (Certain Helios 44's come to mind) have an aperture pin but do not have an A-M switch. These lenses can only be used at wide open aperture unless you modify or remove the pin. This is very easy to do and can be done so that the modification is reversible.

T Mount - T and T2 mount to PK adapter

Ricoh PK-R (R-PK) - These are of course basically Pentax K mounts with the addition of an extra contact. The contact can be either a small ball bearing which presents no problem or the dreaded pin. If it is a pin it should be removed prior to mounting on a PK body as the pin will get stuck in the auto-focus gear making it a bear to get off.

Tamron Adaptall - Some of the Adaptall 2 mounts go for more than the $50 maximum though.

Nikon F (Non-AI) - This will fit and stay on a PK camera as you mentioned, but the registration distance is slightly different between Pentax and Nikon so there may be some focus issues at one end or the other. For $20 you can get an adapter that will allow infinity focus (there are adapters that go for less, but they don't allow for infinity). These adapters have glass elements that compensates for the registration distance (they also add a slight magnification). They do of course add an additional element in the optical path, but I have found that most of them are no worse than a 1.4X adapter.
11-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
Tamron Adaptall - Some of the Adaptall 2 mounts go for more than the $50 maximum though.
There are the cheap Chinese adapters with no aperture tab for less than $15, not much different than using any other adapted lens. The official Tamron adapter that allows it to work like a K or M series lens can be had for not that much more.

If you're patient and lucky you can score even the PK/A ones cheap, though they are notoriously unreliable. I got a PK/A adapter for $15 shipped recently, it was listed as-is and he said it occasionally wouldn't go below f4. I only have problems with it on my 28mm f2.8, the original Adaptall mount, my two Adaptall 2 lenses (24mm f2.5 and 28mm f2.5) work perfectly with it.

11-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 249
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote

Ricoh PK-R (R-PK) - These are of course basically Pentax K mounts with the addition of an extra contact. The contact can be either a small ball bearing which presents no problem or the dreaded pin. If it is a pin it should be removed prior to mounting on a PK body as the pin will get stuck in the auto-focus gear making it a bear to get off..

Thank you for your contribution, i updated the first post. Some people don't remove the Ricoh pin and have no problems. Maybe it's too dreaded?

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge:
Try this thread
Thank you for the link, I didn't see that thread, I will check it out.
11-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
Thank you for your contribution, i updated the first post. Some people don't remove the Ricoh pin and have no problems. Maybe it's too dreaded?
Read the below again
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
Ricoh PK-R (R-PK) - These are of course basically Pentax K mounts with the addition of an extra contact. The contact can be either a small ball bearing which presents no problem or the dreaded pin. If it is a pin it should be removed prior to mounting on a PK body as the pin will get stuck in the auto-focus gear making it a bear to get off.
11-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 249
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Read the below again
Oh, oops. I guess I never paid attention. I just looked at my ricoh lens and noticed it has no pin. The previous owner must have removed it, but nothing was mentioned in the auction. If I buy more ricoh lenses I will look for it from now on. Edit: I just read that early Ricoh lenses have no pin? So maybe it wasn't removed? My ricoh lens has no electrical contacts, not even one. They haven't been removed, there is just nothing but a smooth silvery metal surface where the pins and such are, so maybe my lens never had a pin?
11-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,898
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
Oh, oops. I guess I never paid attention. I just looked at my ricoh lens and noticed it has no pin. The previous owner must have removed it, but nothing was mentioned in the auction. If I buy more ricoh lenses I will look for it from now on. Edit: I just read that early Ricoh lenses have no pin? So maybe it wasn't removed? My ricoh lens has no electrical contacts, not even one. They haven't been removed, there is just nothing but a smooth silvery metal surface where the pins and such are, so maybe my lens never had a pin?
Only the P series Ricoh lenses had a pin. If there is no P setting on the aperture ring then it won't have a pin.

11-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 249
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Only the P series Ricoh lenses had a pin. If there is no P setting on the aperture ring then it won't have a pin.
I guess there was a pin then after all. My lens has a P setting. There are no contacts, but there is one small hole that looks like it could have had a pin in it. The previous owner must have removed it.
11-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,898
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
I guess there was a pin then after all. My lens has a P setting. There are no contacts, but there is one small hole that looks like it could have had a pin in it. The previous owner must have removed it.
Ricoh lenses did not have electrical contacts. The contacts are for Pentax A series lenses. Third party lenses that were designed for both (PK-A/R) will have the A contacts and the P pin (but usually a non-dangerous nub rather than pin).
11-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,005
Adaptall should read "no optics" as their Pentax adapters make them just like any native lens, and with a PKA adapter you even get aperture control from the body, full metering, etc.

T-mount: a proper T-mount should allow those lenses to be used just like an m42 -- no optics, infinity focus yes.

Minolta: I think there are Minolta to m42 adapters, so you could do it that way. You'd definitely lose infinity.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 11-11-2013 at 10:15 AM.
11-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,762
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
Which lenses are easily mountable on Pentax aps-c bodies?
Infinity focus is not necessary (please mention if it's possible or not)
The list so far: M42: M42 to PK adapter (no optics)
Some M42 lenses may foul some Pentax APS-C DSLR body mirrors
when focused at infinity:

Isco-G
11-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,005
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Some M42 lenses may foul some Pentax APS-C DSLR body mirrors
when focused at infinity:

Isco-G
Probably wouldn't on any of the APS-C digital bodies, only full-frame film SLRs. There are a couple Yashinon-DX models to look out for also, but that is very very rare. Most m42s are fine.
11-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,762
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Probably wouldn't on any of the APS-C digital bodies, only full-frame film SLRs.
From what I've heard (but haven't been foolhardy enough to try for myself),
DSLR bodies with a 100% view. like the K7 and K5, may cause trouble,
while cameras like the K-x should be OK.
11-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
From what I've heard (but haven't been foolhardy enough to try for myself),
DSLR bodies with a 100% view. like the K7 and K5, may cause trouble,
while cameras like the K-x should be OK.
Looking at my K100D and K-5 side by side I don't see any difference in the mirrors.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, aps-c, focus, infinity, k-mount, lenses, m42, mount, optics, pentax, pentax lens, pk, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyperfocal Scale on APS-C godwinaustin Photographic Technique 21 01-25-2013 03:16 PM
Thoughts on APS-C cameras mysticcowboy Pentax DSLR Discussion 64 09-30-2012 01:22 PM
Pentax APS-C Lenses Prices and Reviews rm2 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 11-15-2010 01:41 AM
Tilt shift lenses made for Pentax APS-C bodies Buckeye Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 11-12-2010 07:43 AM
645 lenses on APS-C axl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 06-11-2009 11:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top