Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Industar 50-2 - Oil on Blades

Hello guys...need your advise.
I recently bought an Industar 50-2 off fleabay, in New Old stock.
Cosmetic is really nice, lens is clean and clear no dust at all.
But when i check turning the aperture, i immediately noticed oil on the aperture blades.
Considering, this is a preset lens, does having oil on blades impact performance?
Do i need to return this or just keep it? Please help, this is my first time having an I-50-2 :3

Please check attached photo

11-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You'll have a hard time finding a Russian preset without oil on the blades, yours is actually relatively clean by comparison. As long as the oil is not on the glass there is really no reason to worry.
11-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the confirmation!!!! Godbless! what a relief!
11-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since it is a preset lens the oil on the blades will have no effect since the aperture blades don't have to snap open and closed for exposure (some have said the extra lubrication even helps in this instance, although I'm not sure about that). I would say that about half of my preset lenses have some oil on the blades with the Russian lenses being the biggest culprits. As Elliot pointed out yours is almost dry in comparison to a lot of them.

11-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
im pretty worried about your statements regarding russian lenses having oily blades... i recently bought Helios 44-2, jupiter-9, Zenitar-M 50/1.7, all in new old stock condition as described by the seller...im pretty worried they may have oily blades as well
11-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, those Russian presets seem to always have oil on the blades, although I have a nice Volna-9 that does not, but that doesn't have a gazillion blades like some of the others either. Is it possible that they are "supposed to" keep good lubrication as the seller's of these lenses often claim?

I am a little disturbed when people always say it has "no effect". While it is true it does not prevent you from using the aperture correctly because sluggishness from oil is not an issue with a preset (whereas an auto-aperture needs to be "snappy" -- instantly responsive opening and closing), oil on blades is shiny and reflective and does increase internal reflections, it causes starburst effects on lights in night shots, etc. So while the aperture works, yes, it does have some effect on image quality.
11-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Wow i learned somethng from these... thank you guys!!!!