Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Macro in name only?

Evaluating lenses I notice Tamron and Sigma counterparts of Pentax lenses often claim to be macro lenses too. Is this for real? Like the various 17-70's for example?

Thanks

11-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Macro is a word often used to refer to a closer focusing lens than usually - most often for zoom lenses that can reproduce 1:3 magnification. Some people prefer that macro refers to 1:2 or 1:1 magnification - which are usually dedicated macro prime lenses.

So effectively it's a marketing word nowadays for many lenses, but actual macro is (to me anyways) 1:2, 1:1, or even greater magnification.
11-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The sigma 17-70 is 1:2 - at 70mm it's pretty impressive magnification, but you have practically no working distance as the lens is so large.
11-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For most camera users, the so called macro on the sigma 17-70 will do most of what they want within the focal range. I have around six real (prime) macro lenses. I am happy with the results from my sigma.

I am sure that someone will get on this thread and want to be pedantic about what macro means. At 1:1 macro photography takes a lot of work to get great results. I don't go there that often and when I do I am doing a lot of setting up.

11-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Macro refers to the "life size" reproduction of the subject to the image on the film or sensor. This general starts at 0.5 to 1 and current dedicated macro lenses are typically 1 to 1. For example a 1 mm subject would result in a 1mm image on the sensor i.e. 1:1 or 1 to 1. Don't confuse this with the enlargement created when printing the image.
11-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The DA18-55 can achieve higher magnification than a lot of non-macro lenses with the word macro on them.
11-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Macro refers to the "life size" reproduction of the subject to the image on the film or sensor. This general starts at 0.5 to 1 and current dedicated macro lenses are typically 1 to 1. For example a 1 mm subject would result in a 1mm image on the sensor i.e. 1:1 or 1 to 1. Don't confuse this with the enlargement created when printing the image.
Blue is spot on

11-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Blue is spot on
Just visited your stuff at Flickr. You have some incredible macro shots!
11-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you! If you like macro try my new website, it's a teaching site that takes you through all the various bits and pieces - Extreme Macro Photography
11-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If I may butt in here, I had planned for my next lens purchase to be a macro. I am shooting macro-ish with a DAL 18-55 which does okay, but since I mostly shoot hand held out hiking often in the shade, I need close, fast and sharp. (But I don't expect to get fly eyeballs or anything that way.) Ideally, it would be able to do a decent job of non-macro shots as well. I had my eye on the Tamrom 90mm 2.8, but unfortunately I can't find it anywhere for rent to try it out.

Is the Tamron a good fit for my needs? The more expensive Pentax 100mm WR macro is on the short list as well.
11-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
, I need close, fast and sharp.
Define close If it means close to the subject (for 1:1), the DA35Ltd is the way to go (14cm to subject for 1:1 magnification). If you mean that you want better enlargement, longer lenses are aften preferred over shorter ones. The DFA100WR gives 1:1 at 30cm distance.

Note:
Only used Pentax as a reference for the numbers.
11-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter

If I may butt in here, I had planned for my next lens purchase to be a macro. I am shooting macro-ish with a DAL 18-55 which does okay, but since I mostly shoot hand held out hiking often in the shade, I need close, fast and sharp. (But I don't expect to get fly eyeballs or anything that way.) Ideally, it would be able to do a decent job of non-macro shots as well. I had my eye on the Tamrom 90mm 2.8, but unfortunately I can't find it anywhere for rent to try it out.

Is the Tamron a good fit for my needs? The more expensive Pentax 100mm WR macro is on the short list as well.
I second the DA 35 LTD since you want to hand hold it. As a general rule of thumb, the longer the focal length, the faster the shutter speed needed to hand hold. It is a true 1:1 macro but can also be used as a closeup lens. Another option would be to try and get your hands on a Sigma 70mm macro. Of course the D FA 50/2.8 macro is another option.
11-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Define close If it means close to the subject (for 1:1), the DA35Ltd is the way to go (14cm to subject for 1:1 magnification). If you mean that you want better enlargement, longer lenses are aften preferred over shorter ones. The DFA100WR gives 1:1 at 30cm distance.
By close I meant I want the image to be larger; I'm not as picky about how close I need to be to the subject since my subjects generally are plants that don't bite, but some of the motile subjects do run/fly/hop away so being able to work at a bit of distance is helpful. I'm pretty good at handholding but there are limits... none of us are human tripods!

My concern with going with a prime like the D FA 50mm or the DA 35 is that really short working distance would preclude any insect shots. (Not that I do a lot of insects, but sometimes.) Am I understanding the trade-offs correctly? Because they are all about the same price and get similarly positive reviews. The Pentax lenses are at least available at LensRentals.com
11-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Am I understanding the trade-offs correctly?
Yes, you are.
11-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Okay, thanks for the info. Maybe I get a shorter macro and a Raynox for my other lenses. Or perhaps I'll rent the Pentax 100MM and the 35mm to get an idea of the working characteristics of the two and then decide.