Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DA* 60-250mm review

We've just posted our latest lens review. This time, we take a look at the Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 telephoto zoom, a must have lens in my opinion for its fantastic performance wide-open:
Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

(Note, review credits go to Bernard Dery. This review was written a while ago but I've been slacking with getting it published )

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Excellent! Now I can find out if I didn't make a mistake buying one!
11-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I would have somehow liked an evaluation of the full-frame capabilities of this lens, there have been on and off reports about it... If it was, it would be my standard tele-lens over any 70-200/2.8 with a FF body.

Yet thanks for the review!
11-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
I would have somehow liked an evaluation of the full-frame capabilities of this lens, there have been on and off reports about it... If it was, it would be my standard tele-lens over any 70-200/2.8 with a FF body.

Send me over that FF Pentax and we'll talk

I think there's a thread on the forum that discusses which lenses are and are not FF compatible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The only way to do that (assuming I got my hands on a film camera) would involve a large amount of uncertainty brought by the choice of camera, film, development procedure/service, type of printed paper, performance of the scanner, etc. In short it would be all but impossible to compare in any useful way its performances on FF without a digital body.

If you want to know if it CAN be mounted on FF, then I believe so, until 200mm. There is indeed a thread discussing this.

a pleasure!
11-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice balanced review - kudos to the author!

I've had my 60-250 for almost 3 years now and it is by far my most used lens with IQ to kill for.

While reading through the review, I was wondering why the review was done with a 3 generation old camera (K20D) but toward the end I was glad to see the statement that the AF would be even more improved with the K-5II/IIs and K-3. I saw a significant improvement with focus lock decisiveness when I upgraded from the K-5 to K-5IIs.
11-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Definitely NOT full frame compatible. Heavy vignetting from about 85mm to 250 mm (sample shots).
11-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Nice job Adam. I always knew that it is a good lens but reviews of the DA* lenses are hard to find on the internet beyond Photozone. Most of their reviews use the K10/20 bodies and are getting a little dated.
I agree with the comments regarding f4 vs f2.8. I have been of the opinion that f2.8 is not so useful if the IQ is sub par.

Kudos!