Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Noobs question.

First time poster, short time lurker.

I have just taken up photography as a hobby, and am using a K10D (ok so I am..."fiscally frugal", but the camera outstrips my abilities). My question is which lens would be the best purchase ( $100 budget, I currently have almost a complete set of manual pentax-m primes (28,35,50,135,200)). The choices I was thinking boiled down to the following...

1) Pentax 18-55 al II (about $50, the WR at $75) and possibly one other medium range zoom squeezed in maybe a 50-200
2) about 3 sigma/tamron basic lens covering something like 28-80, 80-200, 100-300

I am leaning toward option 1-dont see getting that wide of an angle lens any cheaper through a third party, at the same time dont see getting the telephoto cheaper through pentax.

Any thoughts?

-J

11-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good choice. I hear that the K10 was camera of the year when it came out. Since you've got the full range of primes, then I would think a Sigma/Tamron all-in-one zoom would be a good complement - i.e. Tamron 18-200 had a good review.
11-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You have a nice lineup of primes, if you want a zoom for convenience, I'd pick option 1. The WR in particular is nice because it has a good resale value, plus... it is WR.

The Sigma and Tamron lenses you refer to will vary in performance depending on the exact models, but in general these focal lengths mean they will be older lenses and zoom lenses from those two manufacturers, in this era, were not stellar. There will be exceptions, so if you point out specific lenses a more accurate opinion will be easier to provide, but I doubt it would sway me from the 18-55. While not pro-grade, that lens is extremely reliable.

11-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks All

I am going with the Pentax wide angle. Though I considered the Tamron the main reasons for the pentax were the reviews, wider angle, and of course the autofocus. The primes I have, while I am comfortable in shooting them (exposure and focus), I dont really have a need (that is my pictures arent good enough to need a prime over a zoom...yet!), so that was the reasoning for an autofocus zoom. Again thx all.

caio,
-J
11-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The F Series is good, that's where the bargains are.
11-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
The F Series is good, that's where the bargains are.
I looked at those hard, and being as cheap as I am they were very appealing...however the widest angle I could afford there was 28-whatever, which i "think" translates into about 42 on a 35mm? Here is a question though, down the road would a decent teleconvertor/ conversion lens work on those? I mean normally those conversion lens have issues at the edges, but since the k10d is only using the center 75% would that even be an issue?
11-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there,

The sigmas and tamrons in your budget are basically kit lenses (especially those old 28-80's).
Also, you seem to miss the wide end of the spectrum, with your current M lineup.

While I love my F lenses, and I agree you should try to get them if you can afford them,

the pentax 18-55 will give you the wide end of the focal length range and should be adequate (optically) if stopped down.
this is basically the APS-C version of the 28-80's you were looking at.
That's what I would do. However it may depend on what you shoot as well.

Let us know how you go.

11-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
1/2 the budget spent

After much deliberation. Bought the first lens. Pentax F 35-70 (with camera and case attached). People seemed to like it in the database so hopefully it will pan out (lol photo pun). Looking to spend the other half on a pentax/takumar 70/80-200/210. There seem to be several of these in F/FA (probably about 5-6) and there doesnt really seem to be much difference. That will leave me lacking on the wide end but with a budget of $100 what did I expect!

caio,
-J
11-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daniejd Quote
I looked at those hard, and being as cheap as I am they were very appealing...however the widest angle I could afford there was 28-whatever, which i "think" translates into about 42 on a 35mm? Here is a question though, down the road would a decent teleconvertor/ conversion lens work on those? I mean normally those conversion lens have issues at the edges, but since the k10d is only using the center 75% would that even be an issue?
Don't pay attention to the "35mm equivalent" as this confuses a lot of people new to photography. An F-series lens such as a 28-whatever would be 28mm on your K10D, just as a 18-55 zoomed to 28mm would be 28mm on your K10D. They would be the exact same, no difference. Same with your M-series primes.

The K10D is a great camera. In your position I think you found a good lens. I wouldn't suggest the 50-200 though. As Pentax just released an upgraded 55-300, some deals may come on the original DA 55-300 as people sell it to purchase the new one. This lens is way better than the 50-200. It may be a bit more, but it would be worth saving up for.