Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
35mm M slow blade return. Lend a spring?

Good Morning, Good Evening :P

My M 35mm f2.8 has been sitting in the draw and now the aperture blades refuse to return to a closed position with any kind of haste.

My initial investigations from this place tell me its likely the spring has just worn and needs to be turfed.

No worries :P

I have a 50mm M that has offered to be a sacrifice.. I'll keep you posted, unless anyone chimes in now and explains this wont work?

I haven't had either apart, but I cant imagine the build to be dissimilar. I suppose the other thing to do is just take a few coils of the faulty spring.. Will get some pics up either way when I have a crack a little later.

11-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

For some reason the M35/2.8 seems prone to this problem much more so than other lenses, not sure if this helps though...
11-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

My reading on this lens suggests that the aperture blades can become sticky over time, particularly if the lens has been in warm conditions. They might need to be disassemled and cleaned.
11-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter

On this model lubricant from the focusing helical deposits on aperture blades.
They'll need cleaning with solvent if you want lens to operate normally again.
Eric Hendrickson http://www.pentaxs.com fixed mine for me.

Chris

11-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Can't wait to have her open. interesting that this one is a common fault.

Blades look clear as the sky, still will have a look either way. Will be happy if I don't have to dismember a 50mm M too if I'm honest.

TO BE CONTINUED!
11-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I cant get the screws of the back safely. :S I have destroyed one that will probably need drilling now

siiiiiiiiiiigh
11-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You are using JIS drivers correct?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/119344-cr...s-caution.html
11-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It likely just needs a cleaning. As Chris suggested, send it to Eric. I had the same issue with my DA 40 Ltd and he fixed it for around $50 plus shipping.

11-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
It likely just needs a cleaning. As Chris suggested, send it to Eric. I had the same issue with my DA 40 Ltd and he fixed it for around $50 plus shipping.
The OP is from Australia...
11-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Son of a!

No I was not.

Thank you very much for that!

11-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote

Son of a!

No I was not.

Thank you very much for that!

If you have stripped out the head, try putting a rubber band on the screw head and then using a Philips head screw driver.
01-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I have a confession to make... *shy*

Click

Yes that is the screw I drilled out in effort to get the spring back on, and yes that is the aperture lever I did cut in order for it to clear the K-mount.

As others before me have mentioned, it was simply oily all over the place. I took a link out of the spring in effort to combat this but to no avail. I say this because the screws getting into the rest of the lens have been used before. It seems I was not the first to have opened here and have a fiddle! One of the internal screws had it's head stripped as well, the others were in good condition. I can only imagine someone similar to me got as far as that, destroyed one head and put it all back together before she / he did any more damage :P

I wasn't about to drill another out when the option of cutting the aperture lever still gives me a functional lens. So that's what happened. I'm sure a Panda somewhere cried out in pain as I cut it. I felt a movement in the force. It might have been you lot twitching in unison fearing another hipster with a Canon found some Pentax glass and an tutorial.

FEAR NOT!

It shall still be looked after here be me

Also, note the serial;

Click 2

For if I shall depart this place and you stumble upon it, you shall know it's story, and know it was cherished. :P

Last edited by tromboads; 01-27-2014 at 12:44 AM.
01-27-2014, 03:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Also.

Click

Didn't break it