Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,103
Am I Ricoh-pinned down? (Tokina 80-200 F3.5-4.5)

Hi,

I wonder if you could help me out identifying this mount.

I did some googling and noticed it's got a ricoh pin, it's marked as P/K, it has a bit longer (around 2-3mm longer) lever for the aperture.

Do you think I can mount it on a K-30, or should I stay away?

It's a tokina 80-200mm F3.5-4.5 RMC.


Last edited by rrstuff; 02-03-2014 at 12:15 AM.
11-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,296
It's a Ricoh nub not a Ricoh pin. It should be perfectly fine.
11-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,103
Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply Boriscleto, I will google ricoh nub and see what's up with that. Will that work in a program mode too?


I measured the aperture lever and it seems pretty close in length, actually. Just the lens design looks different from 18-55.
11-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
Looks fine to me, all metering modes will work (make sure the ring is on A) and the nub doesn't cause problems like the pin does.

11-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
You can see what the pin looks like here:
theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix
11-15-2013, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,443
I have this lens, and the nub has not been a problem in use over the past couple years. The lens should work in all modes. Aside from some zoom creep (common with old zooms), I think it's a pretty nice lens. A bit fuzzy wide-open, but pretty sharp when you stop it down a couple clicks. I like the rich saturated colors it produces. Be sure to get a hood for it if you haven't already. I'm using a 3-way collapsible rubber hood and it works well. Enjoy
11-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
More importantly -- buy a cheap set of macro tubes and test any and all old lenses on those first. Way easier to take those off if it gets stuck (not to mention handy to carry in your pocket while browsing for old lenses to test if they have a K mount)
11-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
More importantly -- buy a cheap set of macro tubes and test any and all old lenses on those first. Way easier to take those off if it gets stuck (not to mention handy to carry in your pocket while browsing for old lenses to test if they have a K mount)
It wouldn't get stuck on tubes because they don't have the autofocus screwdrive. It also won't tell you anything about the oversized aperture lever shield found on many old lenses, since they don't have SDM/PZ contacts either. There are expensive teleconverters that have these features though. Carrying an extension tube or cheap 2x teleconverter for compatibility checking is a good idea though, a lot of bayonet mounts look alike to the untrained eye.

11-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,103
Original Poster
Hi,

good suggestions about the tubes and teleconverters!

I mounted the lens and it works fine. Thanks for all the suggestions and quick replies.

The lenses purple fringes like there was no tomorrow wide open, but is indeed pretty good stopped down. And speaking of the zoom creep, yup. it's definitely there.
11-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,443
Here's a shot from earlier this year, taken with a K10D, 135mm at f/8 (slight crop)

11-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It wouldn't get stuck on tubes because they don't have the autofocus screwdrive. It also won't tell you anything about the oversized aperture lever shield found on many old lenses, since they don't have SDM/PZ contacts either. There are expensive teleconverters that have these features though. Carrying an extension tube or cheap 2x teleconverter for compatibility checking is a good idea though, a lot of bayonet mounts look alike to the untrained eye.
Ah, sorry. My cheapo Nikon-mount tube set does, and my K-mount Vivitar macro-focusing teleconverter does, so I assumed the cheap Pentax ones might at minimum have the screw drive connection. The only tubes I have right now for my Pentax are the ones that came with an old M42 Takumar.
11-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,103
Original Poster
I had some time to snap a few shots with this lens. It's pretty good. The contrast is nice, it is sharp from F5.6 onwards and is pretty easy to focus, even on slow-moving subjects. A very good deal at $25 I paid for it. I attached a couple of 100% crops from the edge and the center, respectively. They are unedited jpgs, although taken at ISO1600, so you will see some detail smearing.

My overall impression is that it sits between the kit lens (18-55mm WR) and the 16-45mm in terms of image quality.

Last edited by rrstuff; 02-03-2014 at 12:15 AM.
11-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Ah, sorry. My cheapo Nikon-mount tube set does, and my K-mount Vivitar macro-focusing teleconverter does, so I assumed the cheap Pentax ones might at minimum have the screw drive connection. The only tubes I have right now for my Pentax are the ones that came with an old M42 Takumar.
None of the Vivitar Macro Teleconverters have any focus capabilities, but some have A contacts for exposure. Cheap tubes don't even have aperture connections in them. I don't know that much about Nikon, but I doubt any that allow auto focus are cheap.
11-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
None of the Vivitar Macro Teleconverters have any focus capabilities, but some have A contacts for exposure. Cheap tubes don't even have aperture connections in them. I don't know that much about Nikon, but I doubt any that allow auto focus are cheap.
Sorry, that's right, the teleconverter just has the aperture control thing. But my Nikon tubes most definitely have autofocus, both with screw drive and internal focus lenses. Maybe "cheap" isn't the best word for them though… it was a bit under $50 for the set.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
200, 80, f3.5-4.5, k-mount, p/k, pentax lens, ricoh pin, slr lens, tokina
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Nice manual lenses: Pentax SMC "K" 135/2.5, 80-200/4.5; Ricoh XR RIkenon 300/4.5 Nick Siebers Sold Items 9 10-19-2013 05:23 PM
For Sale - Sold: Zenit 17-69mm F1.9, 50/2.8, 135/2.8s, 180/3.5, 200/3.5, 80-200/4.5, M42 adapter MightyMike Sold Items 128 10-11-2012 07:47 AM
Tokina AT-X 35-200mm F3.5-4.5 Macro 1:4 Konstantinos Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-29-2012 10:01 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS Tokina 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 Version I DavidDor Sold Items 6 04-01-2008 05:03 AM
For Sale - Sold: M 50/f1.4, Takumar 135/f2.5, Super Tak 28/f3.5, Tokina 80-200/f2.8, M 80-200/f loudbay Sold Items 11 03-07-2008 04:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top