Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens for Amelia Island Concours

I am heading down to FL. for the show in March and want to pick up a shallower prime lens. Right now, I use a 28/ 2.8 Auto Chinon and am getting fantastic results. My problem with 28 at car shows is that I have to be a little further back meaning that most people will just walk in front of me. Not too mention that that length usually involves other cars in the shot since they are usually parked so damn close. For walking around, I usually carry the 28, my Zenitar 17, and my 55/ 1.7. Those do not work too well at a packed show.

So, I am loking for a lens suggestion that can deliver great quality wide open for the early morning shows, good for close shooting (a must), and sharp at higher aps for the afternoon shooting. This is like a bucket list show so I am wanting the best shallow zoom/ wide lens for a reasonable amount of money.

After Amelia, its Lime Rock and then Pebble Beach...

11-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #2

I've found the 21mm a very satisfying lens for general walking around; it has also been satisfactory at local car shows. All things considered it's my favorite lens.
11-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of weeks ago I was in Detroit, up at the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant - first Model T factory. I used both the DA 12-24/4 and the Voigtlander 20/3.2. An autofocusing lens does certainly help and makes things easier. The 12-24 was just perfect in terms of focal lengths. The problems I had were self inflicted due to the lighting in the old factory and the very severe blacklighting from the exterior windows . Having a zoom certainly does provide a lot of versatility in composing and framing. That said, just about everything wider than 20mm is f4. There is the DA 14/f2.8 along with the 15/f4.

11-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 15 Ltd is my first choice for shows. The 12-24 also works and has a bit of flexibility.

11-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

I like the 21mm limited. If by "shallower" you mean depth of field...then it may not be your ticket. But there may not be a huge difference between f2.8 and f3.2. And really, I would wager to say that the 21mm is sharper at f3.2 than your Chinon at f2.8. The 21mm makes a really snug package on the camera and will not throw off huge perspective distortion like a wider lens would. Really, the new 20-40mm zoom would be the berries...but that's for debate in another thread. If you can find an sweet deal on a 21mm Limited then grab it up, if its not to your liking I am sure you can get your money back if you buy it right. Check around...I love mine. Another lens I would have so much fun with at a show like that would be my 10-17mm fisheye, you can be inches away and get an entire car in the frame. A fisheye, the 21, and some sort of 35mm (or close)...that's a bag-o'-tricks.
11-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Special K, where was that taken? Bug Atlantics are not that common?

I have a fisheye so I am looking for something that allows me to get in closer without distortion. The 15mm looks like an option based on the sample thread. What is the advantage of a 10-20 over a 15?