Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Bigma Fit is loose on body??

I have the Non DG Bigma with a Pentax fit. I have noticed that the lens feels loose on the camera body and it is able to rotate within the bayonet fit, having checked the fit against my Sigma DG 28-300 which does not rotate when connected to the camera have I got a faulty fitting lens or is this normal for this lens?
Dave

04-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Funny you should mention it, mine moves a bit too.
04-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

yeah, mine does a little bit as well.
04-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned 2 Bigmas (both were fine I just needed some money and sold the first then replaced it) Both were the same. A slight looseness in the mount but it hasn't effected the operation at all.

04-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Same here. It bugs me, but not enough to hassle the replacement. It works great.
04-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #6

Ditto - mine too but no downside re shooting or IQ
04-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #7

Yup, mine has a little play on the mounting but nothing that affects the IQ.
04-03-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have noticed from time to time, a "looseness" of fit in all lens mounts, which is multiplied by stacking a teleconverter or extension tube set on the lenses.

For long lenses, I have my own solution(s)

I bought a Manfretto long lens stabalizer , this is an extendible link that clamps onto a tripod leg and links to the camera bodt tripod mount. helps remove the vibration at the head and also stiffens amy "looseness of the mount"

on my 300mm F4 (which has no tripod mount) I made a mount that also picks up the camera mount and ties it all together to take out any looseness when I stack a TC between the lens and camera

You have to remember that the lens mount has some spring tension in it. It can't be tight because it would never disengage, and it also will wear a bit.

04-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Interesting this seems to be the norm for this lens. but not on anyother mount?? I am very happy with the results but am puzzled as to why this has allowed to happen given the cost of the lens and the dedication to quality Sigma have.

I have joined SigmaUser - Home and posted the same question with no reply. However I have recieved an e-mail from Sigma UK asking me to return the lens for repair FOC with sincere appologies for the problem stated on the forum?

I think I will take them up on the offer and see what hapens. I will keep you informed.

Dave
04-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davekimber Quote
Interesting this seems to be the norm for this lens. but not on anyother mount?? I am very happy with the results but am puzzled as to why this has allowed to happen given the cost of the lens and the dedication to quality Sigma have.

I have joined SigmaUser - Home and posted the same question with no reply. However I have recieved an e-mail from Sigma UK asking me to return the lens for repair FOC with sincere appologies for the problem stated on the forum?

I think I will take them up on the offer and see what hapens. I will keep you informed.

Dave
If you could I would be greatly appreciative.
04-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #11

Loose fitting Bigma.

QuoteOriginally posted by davekimber Quote

Dave
Dave, whatever happened with the repair on the loose fitting Sigma lens?

Teri
05-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter

What lens are you referring to when you say "Bigma"?
05-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
What lens are you referring to when you say "Bigma"?
Bigma = Sigma 50-500. That term gets used for multiple versions of the lens. You might also see "Bigmos" sometimes to refer to the latest optically-stabilized version.
05-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Check your mount screws to see if they have loosened. I had a bit of play when I went out to shoot, and i found out it was the mount screws. I now try to hold my 170-500mm only by the tripod mount rather than letting it hang from my body. The 170-500mm is just small enough to be a walk around 500mm
05-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

My Sigma 150-500 has a slight looseness also. None of my Pentax lenses (10) do....they're all tight.

I also belong to a Canon forum where the subject of loose fit Sigma 150-500 on Canon DSLR's came up. Common there too.

However my Bigma or Bigmos...whatever the nickname is...seems to work well on my K-5. All operations are spot on and pictures are sharp.