Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Soooo many choices

I'm lost. I really want to get a nice lens for myself soon and with Black Friday coming up I might be able to score a nice deal on a nice lens. So...

I'm torn between getting one of the FA limiteds or a DA* 16-50. Or maybe something else (like the Sigma 35/1.4, the FA31 competitor).

Here's my current lens lineup: 15mm Limited, 18-55 kit (doesn't get very much use because it's 1st version, so the quality isn't very good), an F50/1.7 (gets a lot of use but I find it a little to tight at times), and the 55-300 (fulfills all my telephoto needs).

FA-wise, I'm leaning towards the 31 for the focal length since I'm looking for something a little wider than my 50. But the 77 also pulls me in with the awesome bokeh and rendering. I will probably own both in a few years... but I'd like to know which people normally get first.

And on the DA* side, like I said -- my kit lens doesn't get much use since the quality (and build/feel) is a little lacking. The DA* would also probably be a bit cheaper than one of the FA limiteds and replace my kit lens focal range. Plus, it would be great to have a WR lens.

LBA will take over way down the line, eventually I will own all three. So which one should I get first?

11-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
I'm lost. I really want to get a nice lens for myself soon and with Black Friday coming up I might be able to score a nice deal on a nice lens. So...

I'm torn between getting one of the FA limiteds or a DA* 16-50. Or maybe something else (like the Sigma 35/1.4, the FA31 competitor).

Here's my current lens lineup: 15mm Limited, 18-55 kit (doesn't get very much use because it's 1st version, so the quality isn't very good), an F50/1.7 (gets a lot of use but I find it a little to tight at times), and the 55-300 (fulfills all my telephoto needs).

FA-wise, I'm leaning towards the 31 for the focal length since I'm looking for something a little wider than my 50. But the 77 also pulls me in with the awesome bokeh and rendering. I will probably own both in a few years... but I'd like to know which people normally get first.

And on the DA* side, like I said -- my kit lens doesn't get much use since the quality (and build/feel) is a little lacking. The DA* would also probably be a bit cheaper than one of the FA limiteds and replace my kit lens focal range. Plus, it would be great to have a WR lens.

LBA will take over way down the line, eventually I will own all three. So which one should I get first?
I can't help but recommend the Sigma 35mm- hopefully there will be some deals on it! It's a gorgeous lens, a bit big but well worth it IMO. Its bokeh is to die for.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Last Black Friday the price of the FA 31 (as well as other FA Ltd's) remained unchanged (~1k $).
Now when the price is ~1.3k $, maybe it will go down to 1k during Black Friday. I'd go with the Sigma 35/1.4 if I were you
11-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How about a DA21 or 35 ltd and aTamron 17-50 2.8?
Both have great IQ and combined will cost about the same or less than a DA* zoom or FA limited.
Unless you really need the large aperture of the FA.

11-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I can't help but recommend the Sigma 35mm- hopefully there will be some deals on it! It's a gorgeous lens, a bit big but well worth it IMO. Its bokeh is to die for.
Adam, I'm looking for an indoor Fast "Family" lens a bit wider than my FA 43 as i feel it is a bit tight for larger family gatherings. Do you think the focal length on the Sigma 35 will work for me? I'd like the FA 31, but it's out of my budget for now at roughly $1,300. The Sigma 30mm also looks good but if the IQ of the 35 is better than that's what is most important to me.
11-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Adam, I'm looking for an indoor Fast "Family" lens a bit wider than my FA 43 as i feel it is a bit tight for larger family gatherings. Do you think the focal length on the Sigma 35 will work for me? I'd like the FA 31, but it's out of my budget for now at roughly $1,300. The Sigma 30mm also looks good but if the IQ of the 35 is better than that's what is most important to me.
I'd Think the Tamron 17-50 2.8 would be great for this.

On a K-5 2.8 is plenty fast.
11-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Adam, I'm looking for an indoor Fast "Family" lens a bit wider than my FA 43 as i feel it is a bit tight for larger family gatherings. Do you think the focal length on the Sigma 35 will work for me?
If you use your kit lens at 35mm for a couple of events (no cheating), you will know. Nobody can tell you if it will work for you.
11-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

35mm is roughly equivalent to 50mm on film, which is a great all-around focal length. It might still be a bit tight for indoor shots, but personally I'm a fan of the focal length.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
35mm is roughly equivalent to 50mm on film, which is a great all-around focal length. It might still be a bit tight for indoor shots, but personally I'm a fan of the focal length.
So you'd take the Sigma 35 over the 30 as far as IQ is concerned?
11-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So you'd take the Sigma 35 over the 30 as far as IQ is concerned?
Haven't done a direct comparison, but as per reviews the 35mm is pretty much the best money can buy.

Adam

11-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

35 f2.8 macro?