Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2008, 12:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 338
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Yes, it's 100 dollars more expensive, and an f stop slower. It would be a nice lens to have, and the FA 50mm can be a bit restrictive if you're indoors and want a wider angle lens, but 100 bucks is a 100 bucks and a full f stop is a full f stop.
Its worth noting that the f1.4 50mm doesnt get as sharp as the f2 35mm until at least f2.8. So aside from a normal perspective, you do get *something* for your $100. I'm sort of torn. 50mm is fairly long when you're talking about a lens you're mainly thinking of using in confined spaces.

04-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
New Member
Shogo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 22
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
50mm is fairly long when you're talking about a lens you're mainly thinking of using in confined spaces.
Yes I've been thinking that too. Maybe I will go down to the local photo shop and see if they have any of these lenses and try them on for size. Any recommendation on where to buy a 35mm f2? Will the 35mm still be good at blurring a background even though it's only f2? Seems like it might be a tradeoff here...
04-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
JMS
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 273
f2 is plenty for blurring the background, although not as nice as f1.4. Between the two main "fast" lenses I've used, I actually found that I preferred the somewhat subdued bokeh of the Nikkor 105mm f2.5 over the Pentax 50mm f1.7 at the same magnification.
04-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member
aegisphan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 815
QuoteOriginally posted by Shogo Quote
Yes I've been thinking that too. Maybe I will go down to the local photo shop and see if they have any of these lenses and try them on for size. Any recommendation on where to buy a 35mm f2? Will the 35mm still be good at blurring a background even though it's only f2? Seems like it might be a tradeoff here...
To get a smooth blurring background, it depends on a lot of factors: aperture size, numbers of aperture blades, the subject's distance from the background, the complexity of the background, etc. Even at f/4, you can still achieve a uniform, smooth bokeh, albeit more difficult than you can with a f/1.4.

Here is one of my bokeh shots from my 24/2:



04-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #20
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 67
I don't know if this is a testament to the quality of the 50mm f/1.4 or the disregard of some people to research prices, but a used 50 1.4 just went on ebay for $192. That's Adorama's price for a new one!

That lens is going to be my first addition to the kit along with a 70-300mm for wildlife photography and taking to baseball games. I feel LBA kicking in already and I've only had the k10d for 4 weeks!!!!
04-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #21
New Member
Shogo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 22
Original Poster
Boy guys I'm even more undecided now. I talked to a friend about what she thought would be best and she was all for the 35mm f2. I'm just not sure anymore, it seems like the 35mm f2 would be a better focal length but most here would recommend the 50mm f1.4 correct? the 1.4 is $200 and the 2.0 is $300. I don't know how I will make my decision!
Pentax smc P-FA 35mm F2.0 AL Wide Angle Lens - 0.17x - 35mm - f/2.0 - 22190 - Buy.com
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 LENS with one year USA warranty | BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore
04-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 338
QuoteOriginally posted by Shogo Quote
Boy guys I'm even more undecided now. I talked to a friend about what she thought would be best and she was all for the 35mm f2. I'm just not sure anymore, it seems like the 35mm f2 would be a better focal length but most here would recommend the 50mm f1.4 correct? the 1.4 is $200 and the 2.0 is $300. I don't know how I will make my decision!
Pentax smc P-FA 35mm F2.0 AL Wide Angle Lens - 0.17x - 35mm - f/2.0 - 22190 - Buy.com
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 LENS with one year USA warranty | BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore

Independent of price, the fa35 is a better lens. Its sharper, and a normal perspective. Even though its a full stop slower, the wider angle means you're looking are more like 1/2-2/3 a stop of difference when shot hand held in terms of blur. Plus the 50 f1.4 isn't particularly sharp wide open while the fa35 is.

Then there is the lens I just ordered. Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX macro. It about $260ish and equates to a 42mm lens.
04-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 270
QuoteOriginally posted by icarus Quote
I don't know if this is a testament to the quality of the 50mm f/1.4 or the disregard of some people to research prices, but a used 50 1.4 just went on ebay for $192. That's Adorama's price for a new one!

That lens is going to be my first addition to the kit along with a 70-300mm for wildlife photography and taking to baseball games. I feel LBA kicking in already and I've only had the k10d for 4 weeks!!!!
i second that!

04-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #24
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 810
QuoteOriginally posted by Shogo Quote
Boy guys I'm even more undecided now. I talked to a friend about what she thought would be best and she was all for the 35mm f2. I'm just not sure anymore, it seems like the 35mm f2 would be a better focal length but most here would recommend the 50mm f1.4 correct? the 1.4 is $200 and the 2.0 is $300. I don't know how I will make my decision!
Pentax smc P-FA 35mm F2.0 AL Wide Angle Lens - 0.17x - 35mm - f/2.0 - 22190 - Buy.com
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 LENS with one year USA warranty | BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore
One additional thought: I believe that the 50 qualifies for the $50 student rebate program, where the 35 does not.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs//studentprogram_flyer_040108.pdf
04-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #25
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,356
The 50 1.7, and the tamron 70-300 would be a good start if you are on a budget. Otherwise, the 70mm or 77mm ltd and a 70-200mm 2.8 should be a great start.
04-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 270
QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Independent of price, the fa35 is a better lens. Its sharper, and a normal perspective. Even though its a full stop slower, the wider angle means you're looking are more like 1/2-2/3 a stop of difference when shot hand held in terms of blur. Plus the 50 f1.4 isn't particularly sharp wide open while the fa35 is.

Then there is the lens I just ordered. Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX macro. It about $260ish and equates to a 42mm lens.
hmmmm... that is interesting.. let us know what you think of it..
04-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member
Fl_Gulfer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida Gulf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,033
personally I really like my A-50mm f1.7 also.
04-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #28
New Member
Shogo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 22
Original Poster
Well I went ahead and ordered the 50mm f1.4 today after seeing that student discount form I just couldn't resist. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
52mm, filters, k-mount, k100d, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, stock
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good film camera to start with dgaies Pentax Film SLR Discussion 53 09-03-2010 10:16 AM
Newbie start up :K100d super or K10D Siver Surfer Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 03-21-2008 02:21 PM
*Ist DS vs K100D (Super) build quality Matjazz Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 10-17-2007 03:08 AM
Good small travel bag? jmbower Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 16 09-06-2007 03:39 PM
Help me build a good kit. (A Virtual Camera Bag) doggydude Photographic Technique 2 12-21-2006 06:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top