Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #1

DA* 4/300 extremely sluggish AF?

Just pulled the trigger on a DA* 4/300 ED IF etc etc, but alas, this is a real disappointment!!!

As a matter of fact, both SDM and regular AF are slower than of my slowest AF lens so far (a Tamron 90mm Macro, and Macro lenses are allowed to be slower, yes!).

First of all, AF hunts 2-5 secs any time in any light, then it always focusses back to close focus and going back all the way and it really takes its time!

Tested with K5, *istD, PZ1p camera bodies to check whether its a camera fault, but always the same result.

Now, Pentax, what I am supposed to shoot with an 450mm AF lens, that is slower than manual focussing? Minerals? Landscape?

I've been trhough the articles in the gear databases covering this lens and they mention average to normal AF speed, but nothing sound as bad as mine is offering.

Any comments or hints what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Vranx

11-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vranx Quote
Just pulled the trigger on a DA* 4/300 ED IF etc etc, but alas, this is a real disappointment!!!

I've been trhough the articles in the gear databases covering this lens and they mention average to normal AF speed, but nothing sound as bad as mine is offering.

Any comments...
New or used, it should not matter. Contact the seller immediately and express your intent to return it for either a full refund, or replacement with a fresh copy. Yes, it's a hassle, but do it, now!

The DA*300/4 is my walk-around field lens. It's been fast and responsive for more than 5 years. No problems...

Good luck... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-19-2013 at 09:19 AM.
11-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the previous poster. The DA* 300 may not feature blazing fast AF, but my copy has never been known to hunt. It's also the most accurate focusing lens that I have.
11-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That doesn't sound like normal DA*300 behavior.
Yes it is not the fastest focuser in my stable, but what you describes sounds like a problem lens.

11-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My first DA*300 had difficulty finding focus and sometimes didn't seem to react at all when I half-pressed the shutter release. Calibration was off, which contributed to the issue. I sent it back to the retailer, demanding a new copy, not a repair. The second copy works perfectly.

If sending it back is a problem, check AF calibration.
11-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to all who answered so quickly...

... the lens went back today to the dealer, it sems to be defective.

My first APS-C lens and kind of disappointment involved....

Thanks folks for all the helpful input!