Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

*16-50. to buy or not to buy.

hi, i'm new one. since here in Russia there are not much of that star owners i want to council with you guys.

i have tokina 28-70 2.8 and pretty happy with it. i like the 2.8 hole and 105 mm distance. but i miss wide angle, 35 mm at least.

now i have a bit of money for a third lens. i would purchase it in kind of adorama store with a help of my Vancouver friend who's going to Russia.

i like the idea of 16-50 star buying but with all that IQ issues... i'm not sure. more, i will not be able to send the lens back to the store cuz it will be out 14 days when i will got it.

so what can you say me?

now i have several ways:
1. add *16-50 to my tokina.
1. change my tokina to sigma 24-70 and buy 50-135.
2. add tamron 17-50 (i'll buy it the same way, online) to my tokina and buy such of Tak 105/2.8.
3. add 21 lim to my tokina and buy the same Tak.

what's right? what else?
thx in advance
wbr, Max

04-03-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No one can answer what's right for you. I don't own a 16-50 (yet) but will probably get one. All I am waiting for is the 17-70 to be released and see how that fairs. I think this is an F4 and not a 2.8 but I could be wrong.

As others have mentioned you see way more 'issues' posted here than I love this lens with regards to the 16-50. I totally agree on there were some issues, but some of these newspaper tests are a little much I think. How close are you to a Pentax repair shop? Some people have sent that lens and had it fixed and returned in about 2 weeks under warranty. I would not worry so much about the soft corners as much as the BF and FF issues.

The Tamron 28-75 is a solid performer for a fraction of the cost, if you can live with 28 instead of 16. From all accounts the 50-135 is a great lens. There is a sigma 18-50 f2.8 and a Sigma 17-70 f2,8- f4.5 ?? that some rave about as well. I think the DA* 16-50 can be a stellar lens that offers HSM and weather sealing. If those two features are not that important there are several other options including the Sigma 18-50 and I think Tamron offers a 17-50, not to mention several primes as well.

And Sigma , Tamrom and Penatx will have new lens coming soon as well. Tough choice , but at least you have choices !Good luck !
04-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rossomax Quote
i like the idea of 16-50 star buying but with all that IQ issues... i'm not sure. more, i will not be able to send the lens back to the store cuz it will be out 14 days when i will got it.

so what can you say me?

now i have several ways:
2. add tamron 17-50 (i'll buy it the same way, online) to my tokina and buy such of Tak 105/2.8.

what's right? what else?
thx in advance
wbr, Max
Max,

I'll probably get flamed for this but spending $700 on a lens that so many people have had to exchange numerous times trying to get a good copy seems ridiculous. At least 2 well respected forum members have given up on this lens entirely. There is also the build quality that has been mentioned more than once. Even if you get a good copy the chances of it developing a FF/BF problem over a period of time is a real issue. Then you have to send it back in for service.

I'd also like to have this lens but the possible problems are just to great.

Regards,
Ken
04-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What body are you planning to use this on? The IQ issues I had with this lens, mainly bad purple fringing seemed to have gone away with the K20D. I wouldn't have believed it, but where I had many shots with PF on the K10D, now I take the same types of shots with the K20D and I don't notice the PF. I didn't do a controlled test. This is just my impression.

04-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
The Tamron 28-75 is a solid performer for a fraction of the cost, if you can live with 28 instead of 16.
yup, my friend shots with it, i like color rendetion of that lens and the weight. but wide angle is the same as on my Tokina.

rfortson

i have 6mp CCD and going to buy k200 with 10 mp CCD. PF is not a problem on CMOS, i know.
04-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rossomax Quote
hi, i'm new one. since here in Russia there are not much of that star owners i want to council with you guys.

i have tokina 28-70 2.8 and pretty happy with it. i like the 2.8 hole and 105 mm distance. but i miss wide angle, 35 mm at least.

now i have a bit of money for a third lens. i would purchase it in kind of adorama store with a help of my Vancouver friend who's going to Russia.

so what can you say me?

now i have several ways:

what's right? what else?
thx in advance
wbr, Max
Option "change my tokina..." seems like a good option, but it will probably cost you more than the rest.

Tamron 17-50 does have some issues with focusing on the Pentax.

I think for the DA* 16-50, the new batch with SN 902XXXX has already solved the QC problem since I've not seen a reported bad copy in this range.

21LTD is a fine lens, but it's a bit slow. But the zoom will not be any faster. So I think that's a good way to go.