Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunfog Quote

Is it a joke? Left corner is blurred. It's bokeh.

11-22-2013, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #32
ogl
Banned

As I understand - DA20-40 has only one weakness - soft corners at 20 mm @2.8.
The center is sharp at all apertures and all focal ranges. The corners are sharp from f4 at all focal ranges with peak sharpness at f5.6-8.
11-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax HD 20-40mm f2.8-4 DA Limited Lens: Image Gallery and First Look

This review has full-sized images.

It seems to me - NO CA. The lens is SHARP wide-opened already.
Thank you for images. Looks very sharp and very good as far as CA goes. The berries shots are at 40mm F4 and I only barely see CA where the sun touches the fruit. The shot of the table is at 20mm F2.8 and it is very well controlled on the right side where the bench is blown out.
11-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #34
Veteran Member

All they measured was sharpness...

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
That review really makes me want to try the sigma 1.8 zoom in the K-mount. f1.8 and 200 dollars cheaper. But a monster in size compared to the Pentax.

Don't really need the WR... so although the Pentax Ltd zoom looks amazing. Not sure I would use it that much as it is obviously an outdoor lens, and since it is not my fave outdoor focal length... Not quite wide enough and not quite long enough.

But for some of you amazing street shooters it could be just the ticket.
they ignored the best-in-class build quality, bokeh, weatherproofing, quick-shift focussing, silent in-lens focus motor, and all the other stuff that makes Limiteds so special, and this one in particular REALLY special.

Bah. 4/10 on that review. I'll bet this lens is magnificent.

Cheers,
Cameron

11-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Like THoog says, a lot will depend on what this lens can actually do. I want to see some images, and not the normal kind you see at the end of a DPReview. I want to see something from someone who understands a lens like this, like Reid. Someone who can really put this lens to work. I already own several Limited lenses and I know how they work. I will be watching this one pretty close.
The problem is that when you see a "real photographer" using a lens to take photos, what you see mostly is that photographers skill. I guess the question though is if a photographer with a similar shooting style to yourself likes a piece of glass, then it will certainly influence your desire for that lens.

I have no doubt that I could get decent landscape photos with this lens. I shoot at f8 most of the time and it looks plenty sharp, even wide open.
11-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Maybe he likes His Bokeh sharp
11-22-2013, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have no doubt that I could get decent landscape photos with this lens. I shoot at f8 most of the time and it looks plenty sharp, even wide open
I shoot between f/5.6 and f/11 virtually all the time and much of the time at f/5.6. The benefit of a wider aperture to me is while composing and manual focusing - there's just more light with a wider aperture and I need the light. However, with the autofocus improvement on the K3 I might not need manual focus often (at all?) - so this lens looks promising. I just don't need 1/4" DoF that often and if I do - I have faster lenses or I can move closer.

As I have written - this lens and a prime on either end makes a compelling kit for almost all of my needs - and that's the key factor.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-22-2013 at 12:45 PM.
11-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We were thinking of the 13mm Vivitar f2.8(14mm samyang) and the 55mm DA*(also as the fast prime) on either end of the 20-40. Karen just added using the following: Sigma 8-16, Pentax 20-40, DA limited 70.

David
11-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #39

ok. i was wrong, i've ment the right corner. this happens when you are in a hurry)))
11-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
Glad it's sharp and all but I'm more concerned with how it renders, aberrations, bokeh, you know... the other 90% of the lens' optical characteristics besides sharpness.

This review focused on sharpness only, and by numbers.
I agree as I am sick of LGCA and would prefer nice bokeh and less CA to super sharp.
11-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I agree as I am sick of LGCA and would prefer nice bokeh and less CA to super sharp.
Exactly what I said to the guy who laughed at me because my 21 ltd was far from the sharpest available lens at 21mm. But it's a really hard concept for people to wrap their heads around if they haven't been there.

Or as this thread demonstrated, the difference between the $1400 lens and the $500 lens in the bokeh. And that smooth bokeh is very expensive. More expensive than sharpness.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/227006-lens-comparison.html
11-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Looks like this may be taking the #1 spot on my wishlist...
11-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #43
Banned

As I understand - DA20-40 has only one weakness - soft corners at 20 mm @2.8.
The center is sharp at all apertures and all focal ranges. The corners are sharp from f4 at all focal ranges with peak sharpness at f5.6-8.
Let's call it not weakness. At least for now.
Reviews have been few and far between, some by sources I trust not to give any regard (PCMag).
Even if corners are indeed soft, many subjects can benefit from it. (Or it may be just a very peculiar rendering.)

Thus far, I'm settled on this lens; a perfect addition to the DA Ltd range.

I only wish this closure of the 20-40 mm gap won't mean the end of the Limited range .. ?
11-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #44

Photos: Albums
If I could talk in hypothetically, I cant afford this lens, but if I had the money I think I would rather have a da 21 and fa 43. This combo would be pretty close in price and would give more speed at the long end were it would be needed more than at the short. I wonder if the price of the 20-40 will come down at some point, it seems a little steep.
11-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
If I could talk in hypothetically, I cant afford this lens, but if I had the money I think I would rather have a da 21 and fa 43. This combo would be pretty close in price and would give more speed at the long end were it would be needed more than at the short. I wonder if the price of the 20-40 will come down at some point, it seems a little steep.
Wow. That's the lens combo I currently have. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Maybe I don't need this lens