Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Event Lens suggestion

OK I have a couple of events coming up one wedding in Feb and company party in Dec. Two totally different types of events where one you can you a flash and one flash use will be severely limited. I'm in the position to upgrade some of my current lenses and will have the K3 by the 1st week of December. The lenses I'm thinking about are the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the new Sigma 17-70 2.8-4. I already have the older Sigma but the reviews lends me think it would be a wise upgrade. My current set of lenses are in my signature so that may be of some help. My probably biggest concern is the wedding. The wedding hall has very high ceilings so bounce flash might not help and the outdoor area is poorly lit. Am I missing a lens I should be considering. I've budgeted about 750 for another lens.

11-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
OK I have a couple of events coming up one wedding in Feb and company party in Dec. Two totally different types of events where one you can you a flash and one flash use will be severely limited. I'm in the position to upgrade some of my current lenses and will have the K3 by the 1st week of December. The lenses I'm thinking about are the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the new Sigma 17-70 2.8-4. I already have the older Sigma but the reviews lends me think it would be a wise upgrade. My current set of lenses are in my signature so that may be of some help. My probably biggest concern is the wedding. The wedding hall has very high ceilings so bounce flash might not help and the outdoor area is poorly lit. Am I missing a lens I should be considering. I've budgeted about 750 for another lens.
I personally use the Sigma 24-70/2.8 for event stuff. The range suits me much better than the more typical 16-50, focus is fast and silent, and the lens is very sharp. I'm pretty pleased with it. I sometimes take the 15/4 along in my pocket in case I need something that wide, but I rarely do.
11-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can't really go wrong with the 17-70mm, though the 17-50mm is certainly a bit better optically. The silent AF is worth it in my opinion, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
HSV
Veteran Member

I'd say go for the 17-70.

Personally, I use only a Tokina 28-70mm 2.8 for event, I would say that having the 50-70mm range is definitely an important asset. On the other I find myself needing a tad more on the wide portion of the zoom (specially on groups), as 28mm is not wide enough for APS-C. The 24-70mm might be wide enough for me but I cannot justify buying another similar zoom for just 4mm. The 17-70 would have enough range on both the wide and tele ends of the zoom (at least for me).

11-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
The 24-70mm might be wide enough for me but I cannot justify buying another similar zoom for just 4mm. The 17-70 would have enough range on both the wide and tele ends of the zoom (at least for me).
Well, to be fair, the 24-70 is also a notch or two above any of the 17-70's for IQ, which was my biggest reason for buying it. The price is .....the price! It is also a bigger (82mm filter size!) and heavier lens, though still entirely manageable IMO.
11-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do like the Sigma for it's versatile range. I shot an event before with and it came out great so the upgraded version should do just as well or better. Just need to remember to use off camera flash as the hood showed up in some of the shots. I forgot to add one lens to my signature and that's the DA 15.
11-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've done lots of corporate events and an occasional wedding (thanks but no thanks). I think the Tamron will serve you well, just make sure you get a good copy. I've used both the Canon and Pentax versions happily; do perform an AF adjustment ASAP. F2.8 will be very valuable in lower light situations, and will be fun on the K-3. Having a relatively wider end is important because it lets you squeeze more folks into the frame--these are social events after all and you want to be efficient in rounding up subjects.

Your 70-200mm will complement the other Tamron. Spend your remaining budget on a decent flash and diffuser, and spend your time working the flash and learning the quirks of PTTL if you want to use it.

M
11-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The wedding hall has very high ceilings so bounce flash might not help and the outdoor area is poorly lit.
Diffusers and flash benders can do wonders I would certainly reserve a little of your budget for that (if you don't have any yet).

11-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes For some events silent AF is needed and lenses like sigma 17-70 is good lens for that.
11-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I've volunteered to take the photos at my works Christmas party this year (yea, "working" at the party ). I was meant to do it last year as well but it was cancelled - haha. But since then I had been wondering between the 17-70 and 17-50.. then I stumbled upon the 24-70mm. It's a little soft wide-open especially at the wide-end but gets sharp quite easily at F4.0; and a bit sharper at 5.6 but it's hard to tell the difference. It's a little on the heavy side and requires an 82mm filter but minor gripes compared the IQ and the constant aperture. The HSM is also quiet and very fast. Complements the K-3 revamped AF nicely.
11-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a few flashes. The Metz 54MZ-3, Yongnuo YN560II (plan on getting another one or wait for the new model) and my old dependable Pentax Af280T. Yes I know, no matched pairs flashes but that's what I've accumulated. I have a couple of softboxes but I never thought about the flash benders. Just watched a few videos on them and they look like the perfect accessory for walking around an event or wedding. This is the one I just checked out expoimaging rogue flashbender| B&H Photo Video
11-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Flashbenders are much better than nothing. I keep one wrapped around flash in camerabag all time, flash is quickly in uše that way. Dont get too little size bender, each size min 20cm. I use cheap around 10$ chinamade, they are ok enough too...
11-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok I'm back with a new combination to think about. Since I already have the DA 15 what if I got the Tamron 28-75mm lens and used that combo for an event. I could have the Tamron on one body and the DA 15 on another body and not have to take the time to switch lenses. Take along the Tamron 70-200 in a pouch for when I need something long and I should be set don't you think?
11-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As long as it's not a quiet event you should be fine. That Tamron is a pretty loud AFer.
11-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I should be set don't you think?
Yes, that's a good approach, though I think the sweet spot for events is 18-35. The 28-75mm Tamron is an excellent lens; I sold mine because I felt the focal range was more suited to a FF camera and thus purchased the digital version, the 17-50mm.

M