Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Nikon lens on Pentax camera

G'day, mates. I have been wondering if it is possible to use my old Nikon lens (Nikon AF Zoom - Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 D IF) on my Pentax DSLRs. It has Nikon F lens mount. I bought this lens attached to a Nikon F80 in 2003, shortly before I switched to digital slr (Pentax *ist DS) in 2005. The combo has remained in its box since then. I really would like to use the lens again. Is there a good adapter that you can recommend or any comments to make? Thank you in advance.

11-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There in an optically corrected adapter that acts like a short teleconverter. The lens will be manual only, and IQ will be reduced when the lens is wide open.

It would probably be better to try to trade the lens for one of the 28-200s available in Pentax mount.
11-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There in an optically corrected adapter that acts like a short teleconverter. The lens will be manual only, and IQ will be reduced when the lens is wide open.

It would probably be better to try to trade the lens for one of the 28-200s available in Pentax mount.
Thank you very much for your advice... much appreciated. Regards.
11-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by el baroda Quote
G'day, mates. I have been wondering if it is possible to use my old Nikon lens (Nikon AF Zoom - Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 D IF) on my Pentax DSLRs. It has Nikon F lens mount. I bought this lens attached to a Nikon F80 in 2003, shortly before I switched to digital slr (Pentax *ist DS) in 2005. The combo has remained in its box since then. I really would like to use the lens again. Is there a good adapter that you can recommend or any comments to make? Thank you in advance.
The short answer is that you can't really adapt that lens and expect usable results. I would recommend getting the Pentax 18-135mm as a replacement, though if you're still using the ist DS, this lens won't be able to autofocus. Thus it might be worth looking at this discontinued lens (or a Sigma or a Tamron superzoom):

SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The short answer is that you can't really adapt that lens and expect usable results. I would recommend getting the Pentax 18-135mm as a replacement, though if you're still using the ist DS, this lens won't be able to autofocus. Thus it might be worth looking at this discontinued lens (or a Sigma or a Tamron superzoom):

SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Hi Adam. Thanks for the above link, but I am not in the market for a new lens since I already have a Tamron 18-200mm. My old faithful *ist DS has been replaced by my K7 and K5. I will probably try and sell the Nikon combo. Thanks again and regards.