Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The 16-45 lens arrived a few minutes ago! It's thawing out right now, getting back to room temperature.

It is much lighter and smaller than I expected. I expected it to be similar in size and weight to the somewhat heavy Canon 17-40. So I think the 16-45 will be more than manageable.

I took a quick look at it, but then I put it in a plastic baggie to warm back up. When I took it out of the shipping box, fog immediately formed on the lens. Condensation. So I put it in a bag like I used to do with cold compact cameras. I don't know if it's necessary with a lens!

But it appears to be in perfect condition. I did take a moment to turn the zoom ring back and forth a few times. The movement seems solid and smooth. Fully extended there does not seem to be any sort of play or wobble. Of course, this was just my observation pushing the long end gently with my finger tip a bit. Not exactly scientific, I know!

It came boxed like new with its hood. The hood btw is rather short and stubby. I don't see how it can do much good, being so short. I've seen hoods that are like two or three solid inches long, as opposed to the flower petal design. But somebody said the 16-45 hood is expensive sold separately, so I'm happy it was included.

Of course I haven't tried it out yet. But I feel happy with it already. I guess tomorrow I'll go down to the licensing bureau and register it. I'm sure they're going to want to know I've got one of these things. They will probably only give me a permit to use it in my house or out in the woods, away from town, for starters. Since I'm a beginner they will probably insist. LOL

I hope it doesn't have any back or front focusing errors like some of you guys were talking about. I try to lead a good and decent life, and Lord only knows what kind of bleak and sordid roads focusing errors can lead.

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 11-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.
11-27-2013, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
I bought a 16-45 lens from a forum member a couple of months ago and paid more for it, so I'd say you got a good deal. Compared to my 18-55, the images from it are sharper and the color a bit more vivid. I'm a very happy camper.
11-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Joe Bob! I'm excited to try it out. And I feel I've taken a step up, however modest. Forum members are just going to have to learn to respect us 16-45ers!!