Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Prime lens for K30

I bought my K30 last year after narrowing down my camera purchase to a K30, or a Nikon. I had owned Pentax film cameras in the past, and was pleased with the product, and also weather-resistance was important to me, so I decided on the Pentax. I have a 18-55 WR lens, as well as a 50-200 WR lens, which are both ok lenses. But I am not happy with the lack of sharpness at all, so I started to do research on a good prime lens (around the 35mm range) that won't cost an arm and a leg. The thing that I have noticed, of course, is that the selection of Pentax lenses is really small compared to Nikon. Also - when I go to dxomark.com to look at lens reviews, the Nikon prime lenses seem to score much much higher on their ratings than do Pentax lenses, particularly for sharpness. I have NO experience with Nikon at all, and I am not trying to say anything bad about Pentax. I knew when I bought the Pentax that their lens selection was much smaller. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there with real world experience with both Pentax and Nikon who can tell me if I can find similar quality lenses with Pentax? I appreciate that dxomark lab tests are just lab tests and not real world tests, so that is why I am hoping there is someone with real world experience with both. I don't want to sink more money into my K30 for lenses if I will not be happy with them, but I would love to not need to switch product lines. If there are any recommendations for prime lenses around 35mm that excel at sharpness that would be awesome.

11-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twostewcrew Quote
I bought my K30 last year after narrowing down my camera purchase to a K30, or a Nikon. I had owned Pentax film cameras in the past, and was pleased with the product, and also weather-resistance was important to me, so I decided on the Pentax. I have a 18-55 WR lens, as well as a 50-200 WR lens, which are both ok lenses. But I am not happy with the lack of sharpness at all, so I started to do research on a good prime lens (around the 35mm range) that won't cost an arm and a leg. The thing that I have noticed, of course, is that the selection of Pentax lenses is really small compared to Nikon. Also - when I go to dxomark.com to look at lens reviews, the Nikon prime lenses seem to score much much higher on their ratings than do Pentax lenses, particularly for sharpness. I have NO experience with Nikon at all, and I am not trying to say anything bad about Pentax. I knew when I bought the Pentax that their lens selection was much smaller. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there with real world experience with both Pentax and Nikon who can tell me if I can find similar quality lenses with Pentax? I appreciate that dxomark lab tests are just lab tests and not real world tests, so that is why I am hoping there is someone with real world experience with both. I don't want to sink more money into my K30 for lenses if I will not be happy with them, but I would love to not need to switch product lines. If there are any recommendations for prime lenses around 35mm that excel at sharpness that would be awesome.
The absolute best 35mm lens for Pentax is this one:

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM "Art" - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras 340109 B&H

If you want something cheaper and more compact, see also the DA 35mm F2.4.

Be careful when looking at the Dxo tests, as they score lenses differently on FF and on APS-C. Pentax lenses are just fine, though Nikon certainly has more pro glass in their current lineup. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between the two lens lineups as modern lenses from both manufacturers are already way ahead of just about any old manual lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: