Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
The lensrentals.com blogs are a good read. I wouldn't be surprised if it's impossible to obtain factory-authorized lens calibration in the US for Pentax. CRISCAM may not even have the equipment/expertise necessary to calibrate Pentax glass.

If the above is true, this is one more reason why Pentax cannot command higher-end Canon/Nikon prices.
Last year I picked up a new Sigma 8-16 lens, that happened to be well beyond 45 units out of AF. I took the lens over to CRIS (they are a Sigma warranty/repair center also), I also dropped off my K5 body so that they would have both items. They realigned and setup the lens, zeroed it and aligned it. They also used their optical standard to validate the body to spec.

They are also an authorized warranty/repair center for Canon, Nikon and Olympus. There is no way that they could be an authorized warranty/repair center for the manufacturers if they did not have the equipment.



12-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #47
Senior Member
djc737's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South jersey outside of Philly
Posts: 281
Not sure why you kept the lens. I just received a K-3 that had a bad diopter adjustment dial. It just did not change regardless of rolling it one way or the other. When I called Pentax, they suggested I send it in for repair. I said, no way. I paid for new and I expect a fully functional new body. Sent it back. I have a 60-250 on order from the holiday discount deals. It was back ordered. I only pray it arrives in a Ricoh box. Not sure what to do if it a Hoya era lens. At this point, I am not sure I want to stay with Pentax at all. The 60-250 would be my first SDM lens and all this chatter is really making me nervous.
12-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #48
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 764
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Not sure why you kept the lens. I just received a K-3 that had a bad diopter adjustment dial. It just did not change regardless of rolling it one way or the other. When I called Pentax, they suggested I send it in for repair. I said, no way. I paid for new and I expect a fully functional new body. Sent it back. I have a 60-250 on order from the holiday discount deals. It was back ordered. I only pray it arrives in a Ricoh box. Not sure what to do if it a Hoya era lens. At this point, I am not sure I want to stay with Pentax at all. The 60-250 would be my first SDM lens and all this chatter is really making me nervous.
the SDM on the 60-250 should be fine. It was the 16-50 and the 50-135 that were giving the most problems to users. I have had mine for 3 years and it has been no issue. Great lens BTW. I would like to know also if the box says Ricoh. I just received a 16-50 from B&H that still says Hoya on it. I am starting to believe that Ricoh has not made any lenses except for the ones they have changed coatings on. Still selling the others out of inventory. When they deplete inventories and make new batches, I think they will come out advertising a NEW HD coating..... Just my opinion.
12-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,426
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I am starting to believe that Ricoh has not made any lenses except for the ones they have changed coatings on. Still selling the others out of inventory
Not to be argumentative, but there were a few D-BG5 K3 battery grips sent in Hoya grip boxes. Clearly there was a supply of printed boxes in inventory that Ricoh used up. Fairly quickly they produced a sticker to cover the Hoya printing with an appropriate Ricoh imprint but a few Hoyas got out of the warehouse. Ironically, LaurenOE was one of the select recipients of the Hoya box.

I'm of the opinion - scientific method to the contrary - it is never safe to conclude anything from mere observation.

12-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #50
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 764
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not to be argumentative, but there were a few D-BG5 K3 battery grips sent in Hoya grip boxes. Clearly there was a supply of printed boxes in inventory that Ricoh used up. Fairly quickly they produced a sticker to cover the Hoya printing with an appropriate Ricoh imprint but a few Hoyas got out of the warehouse. Ironically, LaurenOE was one of the select recipients of the Hoya box.

I'm of the opinion - scientific method to the contrary - it is never safe to conclude anything from mere observation.
No problem. I just believe they would have changed coatings and made a big deal of that in advertising like they did with the Limiteds and the 55-300. They can't be selling dozens of these lenses at todays list prices. Heck, my K3 grip came in a HOYA box..I believe it just said accessory. I am considering the Serial number database and the dating of the serial numbers there. The 16-50 I just got is an earlier serial number than some of them on the database purchased in 2011. Something is fishy there.
regards
12-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #51
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,064
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I have a 60-250 on order from the holiday discount deals. It was back ordered. I only pray it arrives in a Ricoh box. Not sure what to do if it a Hoya era lens.
I think if you ordered a Pentax-branded item from Ricoh, it would be reasonable to receive one manufactured by Ricoh and marked as such. You didn't order a Hoya-Pentax lens. Worst case - you return the Hoya item?

- Craig
12-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #52
Pentaxian
Heie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think if you ordered a Pentax-branded item from Ricoh, it would be reasonable to receive one manufactured by Ricoh and marked as such. You didn't order a Hoya-Pentax lens. Worst case - you return the Hoya item?
- Craig
Relax, dcj737. You will receive a 'Hoya' 60-250 most likely (as in, I'm 90% sure). Just because DL has had a terrible experience, doesn't mean this is the norm. I have personally been through two 'Hoya' 60-250's (the first was destroyed because I was an idiot and took it under a waterfall and didn't notice the K-5's battery port cover on the underside was missing, thus flooding both the body and lens ...thankfully Pentax replaced it for me). Both were perfect. The 60-250 has a stellar reputation over the past several years. Just check the reviews here. Again, while this is an egregious set of circumstances for DL, it is absolutely an isolated incident.

So don't sweat it. It should be vying for your favorite lens in no time once it arrives

-Heie
12-09-2013, 03:11 PM - 3 Likes   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
bwDraco's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,015
Original Poster
Got a call a few minutes ago from Ricoh saying they will replace it. The lens will be shipped out in a few days.

--DragonLord

12-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #54
Pentaxian
Heie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonlord Quote
got a call a few minutes ago from ricoh saying they will replace it. The lens will be shipped out in a few days.

--dragonlord


wooo!!!
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #55
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Got a call a few minutes ago from Ricoh saying they will replace it. The lens will be shipped out in a few days.

--DragonLord
Excellent news
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #56
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 764
Bravo Ricoh!
12-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #57
Senior Member
Action Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 243
thumbsup
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
bwDraco's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,015
Original Poster
I should be able to drop off my lens tomorrow at the local UPS pick-up point, using a label provided to me by Ricoh. Once they receive it, a replacement will be shipped as soon as possible.

--DragonLord
12-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #59
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
I was watching this space to see when you would get a resolution. Good to hear.
12-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
Wonderful, Outstanding news!!!!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
60-250mm, 60-250mm the horror, da*, focus, horror story, issue, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax da* 60-250mm, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax DA* 60-250mm review Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 11-14-2013 10:02 AM
Is the PENTAX DA* 60-250MM F4 good coreyhkh Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 07-24-2012 10:01 AM
Pentax DA* 60-250mm @ 250mm vs DA 55-300mm @ 300mm resolution bwDraco Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 07-07-2012 05:16 PM
Is the DA*60-250mm hand-holdable? Mr_Canuck Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 45 06-21-2012 08:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top