Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax DA* 60-250mm - the horror story continues

Continuing from this thread.

To recap, I have a DA* 60-250mm lens which has proven defective and has been sent in for repair twice. The lens is now back, and I immediately tested it. Sadly, the lens is still broken. While the tilted focus plane issue is a bit better than before, it is still obvious at close focus distances, wide open at 250mm. I have contacted C.R.I.S. and Ricoh on this matter, and they will email me a UPS shipping label for me to use to send it in a third time.

The following images illustrate this issue. They are shot using a K-5 from about four feet from the subject and are manually focused, the first one on the left side and the second one on the right side.

I am at my wit's end and simply don't get how they failed to detect or fix this issue.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 11-25-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Replaced hotlinks to files.fierydragonlord.com with links to Flickr
11-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suggestion is to call Ricoh with a very generous offer. Since they have not been able to repair the lens under warranty for nearly 6 months now - two generous bites of the apple, you expect the following:
  • A brand new, fully checked out, cherry selected, manufactured within the last 6 months, DA 60-250 lens in replacement of "das lemon".
  • An extended warranty letter covering problems for the next 5 years.

11-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Banned

Better Business Bureau.

You will see Ricoh being very prompt with this claim thereafter. I have previously used the BBB for such issues and they're pretty fantastic.

Simply make sure you put in a reasonable and goodwill effort for a resolution.

Don't be surprised if the corporate attorney contacts you to make the resolution until you're satisfied.
11-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DragonLord, that is crazy and unacceptable. I can see the left/right softness in the unenlarged jpegs on my phone. How does this happen!? It's cheapest to fix it right the first time!

11-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
"das lemon"
I agree that this is a lemon and would like to see it replaced altogether.

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Better Business Bureau.

You will see Ricoh being very prompt with this claim thereafter. I have previously used the BBB for such issues and they're pretty fantastic.

Simply make sure you put in a reasonable and goodwill effort for a resolution.

Don't be surprised if the corporate attorney contacts you to make the resolution until you're satisfied.
I know this is a great idea, but unfortunately, I'm a busy student and don't really have the time to file a complaint with the BBB. Are there any other options you can suggest?

--DragonLord
11-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
DragonLord, that is crazy and unacceptable. I can see the left/right softness in the unenlarged jpegs on my phone. How does this happen!? It's cheapest to fix it right the first time!
Obviously, one or more elements are tilted causing the focus plane to become tilted. The lens was initially sent in for a relatively minor centering error where the lower left corner was softer than the rest of the frame, but the lens came back worse than before with a severely tilted focus plane. After sending it in again for a redo, the lens came back in the condition described in the original post. I suspect C.R.I.S. either missed the optical fault or did not test for it properly.

--DragonLord
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I can't believe it after following along with your saga. I would be livid at this point!

You said you don't have the time to bring this to the next level, but I feel you must. This lens obviously can't be fixed properly and I would be demanding a new one.

It's such a shame as the DA* 60-250 is a stellar lens when working properly.

11-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In the time to write on of these posts would almost be enough time to write BBB about the lens. I get results EVERY time I've used BBB.
11-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I agree that this is a lemon and would like to see it replaced altogether.

I know this is a great idea, but unfortunately, I'm a busy student and don't really have the time to file a complaint with the BBB. Are there any other options you can suggest?

--DragonLord
The last time I put in a BBB claim, it was against Acer and I was a busy student. I filled out the form electronically, the BBB did their thing, then Acer's corporate attorney called me back the next week. I had the parts in my hand the next day. He also begged me to update the BBB report so it was entered as "satisfied", or whatever it was.

If you can't do that, I can't offer any suggestions.
11-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should write to the BBB as it is a good option. I wish we had this in sunny Singapore.
11-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This post by Roger Cicala may be related:
LensRentals.com - Inspecting an ‘In Spec’ Lens

Basically, the lens repairer in this case (CRIS) needs to lift their game and take the time to test the lens properly, and adjust the lens properly. Perhaps CRIS simply don't have the equipment to do the job to a decent standard, in which case Ricoh should intervene and send it back to Japan or Vietnam (where it was probably assembled) to be properly adjusted.

Or send the lens to Roger and his team to be fixed
11-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alternatively, how well protected is the lens during shipping? Is it at all possible that the shipping carrier that they are using to send to you is particularly harsh to packages to your area?
11-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter

That lens needs to leave circulation. I'd contact Pentax and demand a new one and this one destroyed.
11-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Alternatively, how did you pay for it? I use American Express for all of my big purchases because they double the warranty and their solution is usually the most awesome - if something breaks and they have to replace it they just refund you the purchase price. Maybe your CC has something similar?
11-26-2013, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is where both Pentax and Ricoh step up and put their big boy pants on. Some one in Denver - preferably the new VP/Director picks up the phone, calls Japan, has them pull from the last manufacturing run the best unit that they can find. Send it back through QA/QC's final checks, verify its optical alignment, compare it against the optical standard, walk it outside and take some pictures with it, verify and validate that its a good copy. Pack it up. and then pack it again in a shipping box, deliver it to the air express company, drop shipping it either one day or two day delivery (with a really large FRAGILE sticker on the box) to "DragonLord".

Ricoh/Pentax wants to sell lens at a premium price - well here is where the rubber meets the road - folks. We have a guy that shoots Pentax, buys a premium lens, pays for it, is a student no less, is unable to use it for nearly 6 months, bouncing the lens all across the country trying to get it fixed. So, this is one of the defining moments where Executives earn their $alary and BONU$E$. They make thing$ right. Not ONLY do they make thing$ right, they follow up en$uring that everything i$ right. Not ONLY right - that the final outcome i$ PERFECT.

Ricoh/Pentax wants to play in the big leagues - suck it up and start performing. It is the little things - especially when things go wrong.

PS - Our youngest son has worked for a world famous 5 star resort his last 6 months in high school and all the way through college - as a line chef. Upon graduation the company hired him into their Manager in Training program at another of their 5 star resorts - which has 10 restaurants. He is a supervisory chef in one of the restaurants. This is exactly what I have told him. This is exactly what the Executive Chef has told him along with the Director of Food and Beverage. This is the policy of the company. This is the same policy of their CEO.

On his first week - he was out taking the temperature of the buffet and a lady walked up asking where to find a Belgium waffle for her son. He refereed her to their waitress. A minute later the Director of Food and Beverage who just happened to swing by (and just happened to be watching) - pulled him aside and told him that it was his responsibility. He pulled a waffle cart over to the table - custom made the Belgium Waffle, sliced fresh strawberries and topped it with whipped cream. The family was delighted.

Later the same day, a couple who were staying at the resort happened to be talking with him. They told him that they loved the resort that he used to work at and wanted to try the new one for their 30th anniversary. He went back to the kitchen, called down to pastry and had them pull a small German Chocolate Cake, slice it and layer in raspberry and strawberries along with chocolate whipped cream, and had it delivered to their table - compliments of the property.

Customer Service.....