Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
The lensrentals.com blogs are a good read. I wouldn't be surprised if it's impossible to obtain factory-authorized lens calibration in the US for Pentax. CRISCAM may not even have the equipment/expertise necessary to calibrate Pentax glass.

If the above is true, this is one more reason why Pentax cannot command higher-end Canon/Nikon prices.
Last year I picked up a new Sigma 8-16 lens, that happened to be well beyond 45 units out of AF. I took the lens over to CRIS (they are a Sigma warranty/repair center also), I also dropped off my K5 body so that they would have both items. They realigned and setup the lens, zeroed it and aligned it. They also used their optical standard to validate the body to spec.

They are also an authorized warranty/repair center for Canon, Nikon and Olympus. There is no way that they could be an authorized warranty/repair center for the manufacturers if they did not have the equipment.

12-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #47

Not sure why you kept the lens. I just received a K-3 that had a bad diopter adjustment dial. It just did not change regardless of rolling it one way or the other. When I called Pentax, they suggested I send it in for repair. I said, no way. I paid for new and I expect a fully functional new body. Sent it back. I have a 60-250 on order from the holiday discount deals. It was back ordered. I only pray it arrives in a Ricoh box. Not sure what to do if it a Hoya era lens. At this point, I am not sure I want to stay with Pentax at all. The 60-250 would be my first SDM lens and all this chatter is really making me nervous.
12-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Not sure why you kept the lens. I just received a K-3 that had a bad diopter adjustment dial. It just did not change regardless of rolling it one way or the other. When I called Pentax, they suggested I send it in for repair. I said, no way. I paid for new and I expect a fully functional new body. Sent it back. I have a 60-250 on order from the holiday discount deals. It was back ordered. I only pray it arrives in a Ricoh box. Not sure what to do if it a Hoya era lens. At this point, I am not sure I want to stay with Pentax at all. The 60-250 would be my first SDM lens and all this chatter is really making me nervous.
the SDM on the 60-250 should be fine. It was the 16-50 and the 50-135 that were giving the most problems to users. I have had mine for 3 years and it has been no issue. Great lens BTW. I would like to know also if the box says Ricoh. I just received a 16-50 from B&H that still says Hoya on it. I am starting to believe that Ricoh has not made any lenses except for the ones they have changed coatings on. Still selling the others out of inventory. When they deplete inventories and make new batches, I think they will come out advertising a NEW HD coating..... Just my opinion.
12-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I am starting to believe that Ricoh has not made any lenses except for the ones they have changed coatings on. Still selling the others out of inventory
Not to be argumentative, but there were a few D-BG5 K3 battery grips sent in Hoya grip boxes. Clearly there was a supply of printed boxes in inventory that Ricoh used up. Fairly quickly they produced a sticker to cover the Hoya printing with an appropriate Ricoh imprint but a few Hoyas got out of the warehouse. Ironically, LaurenOE was one of the select recipients of the Hoya box.

I'm of the opinion - scientific method to the contrary - it is never safe to conclude anything from mere observation.

12-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not to be argumentative, but there were a few D-BG5 K3 battery grips sent in Hoya grip boxes. Clearly there was a supply of printed boxes in inventory that Ricoh used up. Fairly quickly they produced a sticker to cover the Hoya printing with an appropriate Ricoh imprint but a few Hoyas got out of the warehouse. Ironically, LaurenOE was one of the select recipients of the Hoya box.

I'm of the opinion - scientific method to the contrary - it is never safe to conclude anything from mere observation.
No problem. I just believe they would have changed coatings and made a big deal of that in advertising like they did with the Limiteds and the 55-300. They can't be selling dozens of these lenses at todays list prices. Heck, my K3 grip came in a HOYA box..I believe it just said accessory. I am considering the Serial number database and the dating of the serial numbers there. The 16-50 I just got is an earlier serial number than some of them on the database purchased in 2011. Something is fishy there.
regards
12-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I have a 60-250 on order from the holiday discount deals. It was back ordered. I only pray it arrives in a Ricoh box. Not sure what to do if it a Hoya era lens.
I think if you ordered a Pentax-branded item from Ricoh, it would be reasonable to receive one manufactured by Ricoh and marked as such. You didn't order a Hoya-Pentax lens. Worst case - you return the Hoya item?

- Craig
12-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think if you ordered a Pentax-branded item from Ricoh, it would be reasonable to receive one manufactured by Ricoh and marked as such. You didn't order a Hoya-Pentax lens. Worst case - you return the Hoya item?
- Craig
Relax, dcj737. You will receive a 'Hoya' 60-250 most likely (as in, I'm 90% sure). Just because DL has had a terrible experience, doesn't mean this is the norm. I have personally been through two 'Hoya' 60-250's (the first was destroyed because I was an idiot and took it under a waterfall and didn't notice the K-5's battery port cover on the underside was missing, thus flooding both the body and lens ...thankfully Pentax replaced it for me). Both were perfect. The 60-250 has a stellar reputation over the past several years. Just check the reviews here. Again, while this is an egregious set of circumstances for DL, it is absolutely an isolated incident.

So don't sweat it. It should be vying for your favorite lens in no time once it arrives

-Heie

12-09-2013, 03:11 PM - 3 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Got a call a few minutes ago from Ricoh saying they will replace it. The lens will be shipped out in a few days.

--DragonLord
12-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonlord Quote
got a call a few minutes ago from ricoh saying they will replace it. The lens will be shipped out in a few days.

--dragonlord

wooo!!!
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Got a call a few minutes ago from Ricoh saying they will replace it. The lens will be shipped out in a few days.

--DragonLord
Excellent news
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Bravo Ricoh!
12-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #57

thumbsup
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I should be able to drop off my lens tomorrow at the local UPS pick-up point, using a label provided to me by Ricoh. Once they receive it, a replacement will be shipped as soon as possible.

--DragonLord
12-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was watching this space to see when you would get a resolution. Good to hear.
12-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful, Outstanding news!!!!