Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Will Vivitar TX lens accept T to PK adaptor?

Hi. I am looking at a Vivitar 400mm lens with a TX thread. Does anybody know if this lens will work with a T to PK adaptor? I have a T adaptor already. Your early reply will be much appreciated. Thank you and regards.

11-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Inactive Account

The Vivitar TX mount is not threaded mount, it is nothing like the T mount, it is more of a breech lock style mount. The T4 is an earlier interchangeable mount used by Vivitar and Soligor, it is similar to the TX but not compatible.
11-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lens has something that looks like threads already, it probably has a TX to M42 adapter. You should also see an M42 pin on it. You could use an M42 to PK adapter on those threads as if it was an M42 lens.

Vivitar made a couple of M42 adapter types and some of them might need easy modification before they are useful on a DSLR. They made a TX to K adapter that would make the lens work like a basic K mount. Tracking down the different adapters is harder than finding TX lenses. The 400mm might be worth the trouble.

I have photos of some TX stuff but I need time to dig for them.
11-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a T4 vivitar and the T4 M42 adapter, and then pentax K mount adapter. I believe same story for the TX lenses.

But the T4 Vivitar has a manual/auto switch that is on a spring--so either you hold it while you take the shot (not workable) or you apply photo tape as a temporary means of holding it to manual (a little hard to do and doesn't last very long), or you open the adapter and put a piece of rubber to hold it in manual. There is a tutorial on this--look for Vivitar/Soligar 21mm f3.8 T4 lens. Once you fix the auto/manual switch it acts like a M42 takumar lens.

BTW there are 3rd pary pentax K mount adapters that have a flange to hold the aperture pin closed (so the manual/auto switch works fine as is)--but I found the machining/plating NG and I couldn't mount it on my camera body.

11-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

All the TX lenses say "TX" on them (under the mount) -- the T4s aren't marked I don't think. In any case, as said above, if it has threads, it already has a mount on it, most likely an m42.
11-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all. I think I better look for one that has PK mount, if not a genuine Pentax lens. Regards.