Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #1

Will this lens fit my camera?

I have inherited my dad's camera. It is a Pentax K1000 SE. I've never owned a camera like this and although I've tried to do some research, I am very confused. The lens currently on the camera is (for the most part) in good shape, but there is a crack/missing piece on the ring of plastic at the end of the lens. I'm not sure if this would affect the quality of the pictures I take, but I am assuming it will. I would like to buy a new lens for the camera. I don't need anything too "fancy," just a basic lens to start. I looked around and I found this one: SMC Pentax-A 35-70mm F4 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database and was wondering if anyone with a little more knowledge and experience could tell me if this lens would work for the camera I have. If not, what would work? Thanks in advance!

11-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Camera + Lens Combo?

Hello hannahgrem, welcome to the forum!
Yes, generally any lens made for Pentax SLR mount will fit on the K1000. Now, if you buy a lens that is much newer, like a 'DA" (digital) lens, it may not have the aperture ring (F/stop adjustment), so it won't work properly.
Since you have an older film body, it's best to stick with the Pentax lenses marked 'K', 'M' or 'A'. Like the 'A' 35-70mm you're looking at, they will be manual focus and (on the K1000) manual aperture. I suggest you download the K1000 user manual or instruction booklet that came with the camera, for more detailed operating instructions.
The 35-70mm is a good all-purpose zoom lens. It goes from a moderate wide-angle (35mm) through the 'normal' range (50mm) to short telephoto (70mm).
So, you can use it for scenic, landscape, street shooting and portraits. A handy range to have!
You might want to pick up a few rolls of film in both 100 ISO and 400 ISO, a small camera bag for transport, and sturdy camera strap.
On the lens you now have, it the filter (threaded) ring on the front is damaged, it will mean you can't mount filters, but the lens should otherwise be OK to use.
Good luck!
Ron
11-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That should be a really nice lens for the camera.
11-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If something goes wrong, or if you need the body / lens repaired or Cleaned. Lubed and Aligned (CLA) - there is Eric who is a legend here...