Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 12-24 vs Pentax 12-24

Does anybody know anything about the Sigma? How does it stack up against the Pentax 12-24? I'm fairly familiar with the Pentax 12-24, but not the Sigma. According to the descriptions on Adorama the Sigma is also rectilinear, and about the same price, pre-rebate. I wouldn't consider the Sigma, but the Pentax is OOS all over. I've searched over at the Pentax forum on DPR, but pretty much came up blank.
If anybody knows of another rectilinear zoom at around that range, I'd be appreciative. I haven't seen anything other than these two.

NaCl(it's getting hard to find good Pentax glass these days)H2O +

01-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi NaClH2O, you are pondering the same question as I was few months ago.

Most people would get sigma 10-22mm if they have to get something sigma as 10-22mm has a wider view compared to pentax or tamron mounts. Getting sigma 12-24 is really pointless in terms of focal length as pentax has a famous sharp 12-24 mm lens in its own right. Though probably cheaper, it is quite risky to purchase sigma 12-24 because of risk of bad quality control, price not that much different to pentax and not worthwhile when 10-22 is also available.

The price is not that far off between sigma 10-22 and 12-24; I would personally gamble on owning sigma 10-22, but sigma 10-22 has a very very bad reputation among C*non and N*kon users due to its typical right side image being soft and incosistency with IQ; somehow Joele (moderator) has his sigma 10-22 demonstrating utmost performance: Fantastic sharpness, beautiful colour, No Ca and smooth bokeh. Maybe just being lucky there.

I did not buy pentax 12-24 in the end because of its price. I went for Da14 f2.8 instead and never look back.

If I were you, I would prefer to save until I could get pentax 12-24 or give sigma 10-22 a go. In pbase, there are images taken by sigma 12-24 and they looked ok (probably photographers' faults because the images reveal dull subjects)

Last edited by roentarre; 01-19-2007 at 03:08 PM.
01-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Roentarre, Jens over at DPR recommended the sigma 10-20, but he also mentioned the QC issues. The ONLY reason I'm looking at Sigma at all is that the Pentax 12-24 is unavailable! Everybody I've looked at lists it as either "back ordered" or "out of stock". I want/need a wide rectilinear especially for architecture and landscapes. I must say that it irkes me no end that there is very little decent Pentax glass available anywhere. I also want a FA 77 ltd. but have given up trying to find one.

NaCl(it would be nice if Pentax decided to make lenses again)H2O
01-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Roentarre: Absolutely despise eekbay. Got badly burned once and will not go back. The FA 77ltd's I saw here in the states went for more money than they cost new! And that's not including the $100 rebate! Totally insane. Eventually Pentax will have to get their new lens factory working. Maybe. You'd think they would stand to make a lot more on lenses than bodies, but all I hear is K10D! K10D! I'm sick of it.

NaCl(end of rant)H2O
01-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the kamera store from Japan is quite trustworthy. I bought some canon L lenses lately from them. Quite cheap and good packageing. I would recommend it. Da12-24 699 US dollars.

I guess you are right about rebates and everything good happening in US. Australians have to pay a lot more to get these lenses without after sale service.

Ebay did give me 3 pieces of crap that I had spent a fortune on....

I am waiting for DFA now. hehe