Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I tested the lens at f/2.8 around sunset and unlike my initial impressions, the images from 2.8 onward seem to sharpen up a bit, some flower test shots with a bit of wind earlier
Hin,
The first picture of the poppies and the one of the Equisetum (horsetail) are the most striking images I have seen. Very, very nice indeed!!

04-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hin,
The first picture of the poppies and the one of the Equisetum (horsetail) are the most striking images I have seen. Very, very nice indeed!!
I agree!

Hin, I remember seeing some of your flower shots from a year ago or so, and I am very impressed with your improvement. I'm not much of a flower guy, but these latest shots are very good indeed; they have to be if I like them Well done!
04-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I've come to the conclusion that hinman is just becoming a very good photographer - if you take a look at his blog, you can see he made the DA 50-200 look like the FA* 200 f/8!

Great job, hinman. Always like to see your stuff.

Steve, good shots there also, makes me want to pick up the jupiter if I find one used...

04-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I've come to the conclusion that hinman is just becoming a very good photographer - if you take a look at his blog, you can see he made the DA 50-200 look like the FA* 200 f/8!

Great job, hinman. Always like to see your stuff.

Steve, good shots there also, makes me want to pick up the jupiter if I find one used...

I agree with your comments regarding Hin's talent. Of course, it helps to have an impossibly cute child.

If you are interested in the Jupiter-9, you might do better buying new. For some odd reason, used copies in the M-42 mount are going for the new price (or more) on fleaBay. (See MC Jupiter 9 85mm f/2 Telephoto Lens Pentax M42 Mount - eBay (item 290214625032 end time Mar-22-08 14:15:00 PDT))

04-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you all for the encouraged comments. I am very much a newbie and amateur in photography. I did some portraits today all on f/2.8 on a neighbor's cat. Her name is Melissa and she is photogenic and I don't have the knowledge to use a flash with the portrait, I use natural lighting next to a window.

It is my first time with cat's portrait and I need feedbacks how to do it probably with cat. Should flash be used as I think the cat may not enjoy the light? She is adorable and I am going to take portrait with her again. My neighbors have 7 cats and I will have many opportunities to practice, comments and feedbacks are welcome.

hi from Melissa over the window when I visited here

Thanks,
Hin

--
photo blog: Hin's Photoblog - Daily Photography from Fremont, United States.
personal blog: Hin's Photo Blog
art: Hin Man fine art prints at Imagekind.com

Last edited by hinman; 04-07-2008 at 07:37 PM.
04-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Good job on the cat portraits Hin! I find that my cat has very fast reflexes, and her eyes are half closed by the time the shot is captured if I use a flash. I think this is because of the pre-flash that the P-ttl uses. So in my opinion, natural light works great for cats.
04-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
Good job on the cat portraits Hin! I find that my cat has very fast reflexes, and her eyes are half closed by the time the shot is captured if I use a flash. I think this is because of the pre-flash that the P-ttl uses. So in my opinion, natural light works great for cats.
Thanks for the kind comments. I tried night time test shots in f/2.0 with the lens. It is alright but I find f/2.0 in my FA 50 f/1.4 somewhat sharper than the Jupiter.

1/20 sec, f/2.0, 85mm, iso 400, +1 Ev, hand-held

1/30 sec, f/2.0, 85mm, iso 400, -7/10 Ev, hand-held

Shot earlier in my neighbor's garden using f/2.8 throughout

Night time pictures is my favorite, all of my favorite lens has to go through night out process for me, my jupiter9 is a keeper in my bag. It is the hardest to use, but definitely a gem in my book. It will serve me well before I can justify to buy Pentax limited 70mm to make up my desired trio with Pentax limited in 21/43/70 with auto focus.

Thanks,
Hin

04-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The Russians are a soft bunch wide open, but like you've shown, by f/2.8 they're great
04-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ya know, those beautiful colors & narrow depth of field remind me a LOT of the old Vivitar lenses. I've still got an old 135mm Vivitar prime that I may take for a spin....

Though the colors were wonderful compared to the 50mm f2.0 Pentax M, I don't recall the colors approaching the vibrance & richness of these pictures, but then again, last time I really put it to use was with an old film camera. Hmmm...
04-08-2008, 11:41 PM   #25

Hin

I am impressed with your great photos, I hope one day to be able to take shots as sharp as yours. Must be natural talen you have

I just bought the DA70 Limited but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Maybe this weekend.