Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advice needed on recent purchase of damaged lens

Not sure this is the right sub-forum. Please move if necessary.
I recently purchased a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro AF Lens from a forum member. The listed included the following:

"Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Return Policy & Additional Details
30 day return policy"

When I received the lens it would not AF properly on my K-01. Searches in the forum turned up others with this problem and an email to Tamron confirmed there is a problew with this lens on the K-01. I then took some test shots with my K-3 and was disappointed in the sharpness of the lens, given it's excellent reviews in the forum.
I have subsequently sent it to Tamron USA for a tune-up and received the following back:

Warranty: NO Serial Number: 006166
Symptoms:
  • SK EVIDENCE OF SHOCK DAMAGE
  • BIX BROKEN INTERNAL PARTS
  • F FOCUS DEFECT OR POOR IMAGE QUALITY
  • AF AUTO FOCUS IS NOT FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY
  • D DUST OR DEBRIS INSIDE LENS
  • C INTERNAL CAM BARREL IS BENT OR CRACKED
  • O OVERHAUL/CALIBRATE TO FACTORY SPECS
Repairs:
  • SK REPAIR NON-COSMETIC PHYSICAL DAMAGE.
  • BIX REPLACE ALL BROKEN INTERNAL PARTS.
  • F CHECK AND ADJUST FOCUS AND IMAGE QUALITY.
  • AF ADJUST AUTO FOCUS SYSTEM.
  • D DISASSEMBLE AND CLEAN ENTIRE LENS.
  • C DISASSEMBLE AND REPLACE/LUBRICATE CAM BARREL.
  • O COMPLETE OVERHAUL, CLEANING & ADJUSTMENT.

Repair Charge - 35mm Lens A001 1 $320.00

I have ok'd the repair even though the cost plus the price I paid for the lens exceeds the cost of a new one.

What would you do? Contact the seller or figure it is buyer beware.

11-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Inactive Account

A lens with such "symptoms" can't be rated as "excellent". You should definitely contact the seller, explain the situation and give him appropriate feedback afterwards or write to the admin.
11-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Curious. I've had buyer damage a lens (by admitting he thought a Tamron had "quick-shift" MF override, when it didn't, so the AF gears were stripped) and ask for a full refund, which is the only time I've ever sent something for a service quote while I still had the buyer's money.

"INTERNAL CAM BARREL IS BENT OR CRACKED" Sounds like that lens is toast, so unless the 30 days are up, return it for a full refund and tell the seller he can have Tamron service it if he wants.
11-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
A lens with such "symptoms" can't be rated as "excellent". You should definitely contact the seller, explain the situation and give him appropriate feedback afterwards or write to the admin.
What he said.

I would add that you should also request one of:
  • The cost to repair including shipping to Tamron --or--
  • Full refund of the purchase price including shipping costs both ways and the cost to ship to Tamron
If the seller balks and it was a PayPal transaction you should file with PayPal.

Steve

11-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
What would you do? Contact the seller or figure it is buyer beware.
It's not clear from your description that the seller holds any liability. There may be a possibility that the lens was in excellent condition when sold. Could it have sustained severe damage in shipping?

Question to consider:
- How did you receive the lens? Was it shipped to you? By what means?
- Was there any evidence of physical damage to the shipping box/container?
- Was there any indication by the seller that shipping insurance was to be included?

Regardless of the state of the lens at the outset or the possible shipping damage, I don't think you have much recourse at this point. Regrettably, in seeking and authorizing the repair, it seems that you assumed ownership of the lens.

- Craig
11-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think you were sort of stuck with the lens as soon as you sent it for service. In hindsight, you should have contacted the seller as soon as you noticed a problem, so the 2 of you could have discussed possible solutions. If I was the seller the best I could offer now is you return the lens and get your purchase price back, but then you just paid to repair someone else's lens so it's not a good solution.
11-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #7

I agree with DeadJohn and others about contacting the seller with issues before going ahead with repairs.

I bought a used lens off ebay and when it came I noticed the internal rear element had haze (probably from the blade oils). I informed the seller and he offered to take the lens back, pay for the shipping AND throw in some PK lens for compensation!

I decided to have the lens serviced and he agreed to pay for it in whole.

11-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why post all this without contacting the seller first? Is there more to this story?
Suggest you handle it privately unless there is a problem, then discuss with the admin on your course of action.?
11-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
As to the question raised by some of why did I authorize repairs before contacting the seller. Not seeing any signs of damage I wrongfully assumed the lens would only need adjustment and pre-authorized the repair when I shipped it. I do admit this as a huge mistake. The seller and I are now in a dialog. I am fully prepared to own up to my mistake and suck it up. I was just wondering what others would have done and have my answer: contact the seller before sending for repairs. I have bought and sold many lenses on the marketplace without any problems and will continue to do so.
11-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, regardless of outcome - this thread is useful for buyers on this forum to understand that the first recourse upon noticing any issues it to open dialogue with the seller. Even if the issues seem minor, if you intend to have the lens checked out by a repair shop or manufacturer - bring that up to the seller and ask if they are willing to foot any or all of the repair cost after it comes back. This way you have a firm understanding of what the seller is willing to do prior to you purchasing the lens.

OP - good luck with your whole situation, sorry that you are going through this - but at least I learned something from this thread.
11-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mdave,

Thanks for providing further details. I think I understand the position you were in. Hopefully you'll get a very good lens at a total cost not much greater than a new one. And the lens will be fully calibrated and adjusted - so it could actually be better than a new one off-the-shelf.

If it's any consolation - it's a very good lens.

- Craig
11-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Not seeing any signs of damage I wrongfully assumed the lens would only need adjustment and pre-authorized the repair when I shipped it.
We haven't heard what the conversation with the seller was, but it's possible the seller actually thought it was in excellent condition if the appearance was that good. Not everybody is expert at testing lenses or knowing what performance to expect from a lens.
12-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
After a conversation with the seller, who offered one of several additional lenses as compensation, the matter is now closed. I realize what a huge mistake pre-authorizing the repair was and hold no animosity towards the seller. The damage was not visible and may well have happened in transit. If I hadn't repaired the lens, I am sure the seller would have taken it back.
The lens is now back from repair and is in excellent shape. I am now waiting for a LensAlign MKII so that I may adjust all my lenses with the new K-3. Thanks for participating in this discussion.