Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
As mentioned, you can't go wrong with either lens. However, your intended use of the lens has not been discussed yet. If you are just planning on portraits, get the 85. If you plan on including panoramic shots, as with your 31, get the 77. Both are great portrait lenses, but the 77 is better with landscapes.
I think I really want a good portrait lens ore than landscape. I use my 15mm, 31mm,28-70 and 80-200 on my panohead so got it covered pretty well. The 85 looks as though it would be a good walk around town lens as well. Price just holding me back at bit at the moment. Hopefully dollar will get stronger.
Id like to get into portrait and maybe a bit of event photography. Im drooling over the 85 so I think Im sold.

John

Last edited by campdog; 11-30-2013 at 05:08 PM.
12-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #17

Original Poster
Still undecided.

Watching the price of the 85mm has got me thinking still on what way to go. Because the 85mm are at all US $ the price range in Australian Dollar is between $1350 and $1550 plus freight and any import duties on top. I can get a 77mm silder here in Australia $ 1000 delivered. So maybe I should buy the 77 and if its not what I wasnt sell it later and get the 85mm.
The more mages taken with the 77 the more I like it as well. Just hoping it will fit in between my FA* 28-70 and FA* 80-200mm. The only other option is to wait until the Dollar is stronger or buy in Australia if an 85mm comes up for sale. The use of the 77 for panoramics also sounds good.

I have just noticed that the 77 mm is avvertised as a SMCP-77mm and a SMC77mm is there a difference or just advertising.
John

Last edited by campdog; 12-04-2013 at 12:21 AM.
12-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I think that's a good idea. Plus, the 77's value is pretty consistent if you need to sell at a later time.

There is no difference, just the way the seller has worded the ads.
12-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Watching the price of the 85mm has got me thinking still on what way to go. Because the 85mm are at all US $ the price range in Australian Dollar is between $1350 and $1550 plus freight and any import duties on top. I can get a 77mm silder here in Australia $ 1000 delivered. So maybe I should buy the 77 and if its not what I wasnt sell it later and get the 85mm.
The more mages taken with the 77 the more I like it as well. Just hoping it will fit in between my FA* 28-70 and FA* 80-200mm. The only other option is to wait until the Dollar is stronger or buy in Australia if an 85mm comes up for sale. The use of the 77 for panoramics also sounds good.

I have just noticed that the 77 mm is avvertised as a SMCP-77mm and a SMC77mm is there a difference or just advertising.
John
John, get the 85, you will not regret. It worth every penny.

12-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm happy I got the FA*85 and sold my FA77. But the FA77 was still awfully good, and I got many great photos with it. In most situations I'd be just as happy going back to it, if I had to. And I loved the small size.

Getting neither lens would be the worst choice right now.

Last edited by DSims; 12-05-2013 at 10:43 PM.
12-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm probably just 1 more glass of red from buying it though .
I know that feeling, how do you think I got so many lenses?? Obviously I have had that one more glass a few times more often

To the op, the 77 is an amazing tiny jewel. If you ever get it, you will not regret it. I have lusted after the 85, and like others, hovered over that 'buy' button many times. One day I'll be on one red too many and the temptation will be too much.
12-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I'm happy I got the FA*85 and sold my FA77. But the FA77 was still awfully good, and I got many great photos with it. In most situations I'd be just as happy going back to it, if I had to. And I loved the small size.

Getting neither lens would be the worst choice right now.
Im still undecided on what one. I know the 85 is what I really want, so I can always wait. I have a American Express travel card with 3000 US dollars on it. So I could cash that in and make a few dollars on the exchange or find somewhere I can use the card.
A nice silver 77mm would also keep me happy until I get to the US again.
I migh just have a look at CR Kennedy.
John

12-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
John, get the 85, you will not regret. It worth every penny.
+1
I am second to recommend the FA85.
I have both, and a few more 85 from other brand.
Worth every dollar
12-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Both are truly excellent lenses, but the only way you will actually know which suits you is to buy them both then sell the one that doesn't suit you quite so well - I've used this technique several times, it does have a downside though - you can end up not letting go of either
12-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Both are truly excellent lenses, but the only way you will actually know which suits you is to buy them both then sell the one that doesn't suit you quite so well - I've used this technique several times, it does have a downside though - you can end up not letting go of either
I thinkk you are right. I can get the 77 here in OZ for $899 so maybe the way to go.Bet this then an 85 later when I can justify.
12-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #26

I thinkk you are right. I can get the 77 here in OZ for $899 so maybe the way to go.Bet this then an 85 later when I can justify.
I have been following this thread with interest as I have always thought the Fa*85 to be one of the best lenses Pentax have ever made but never had the money so I got the 77Ltd used knowing I could sell it if I did not like it without losing money. If you have the money you should buy the FA*85 simply because if you do not like it you can always sell it on without a loss. Go for it. Nothing to lose.

Just a side note. I have always worried if I made the right decision when deciding which to get. Reading this thread and the comments from the posters who have owned both has eased that worry. A little... Maybe.... Ok, ok if I had the bucks available i would get one tomorrow.
12-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Think of it this way, you can ALWAYS get the 77 if you wanted (they are still in production). But 85 is getting fewer and fewer.... so you should get a copy before the 77, if you can.
The couple hundred more than a 77, is well worth the price.

When I first got the 77, it blew my mind. My wife, then girlfriend, said I should use 77 all the time.
Then I got the 85, it blew my mind again. And my wife insist I use the 85 instead of the 77, and she is not happy if I did not bring the 85 when we go out.

The only problem with 85 is, you will be spoiled.
12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Think of it this way, you can ALWAYS get the 77 if you wanted (they are still in production). But 85 is getting fewer and fewer.... so you should get a copy before the 77, if you can.
The couple hundred more than a 77, is well worth the price.

When I first got the 77, it blew my mind. My wife, then girlfriend, said I should use 77 all the time.
Then I got the 85, it blew my mind again. And my wife insist I use the 85 instead of the 77, and she is not happy if I did not bring the 85 when we go out.

The only problem with 85 is, you will be spoiled.
Maybe its worth the wait. For about $ 910 Au I can have the 77 delivered. With the current exchange rate the best I can do including postage and import duties is around $1500 au plsu. So its quiet a difference,unless I can find one here in OZ, Other option is as said, grab the 77 and see if the OZ dollar drops or find one in a shop that takes American express tavel card.
For now Ill just keep dreaming.
12-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #29

Original Poster
No more deciding on what to do. I ordered he FA77mm today and should be here in a day or so. I cant afford the 85mm at them moment. If the 77 is anywhere near as sharp as the 31mm I will be happy. If the Aussie dollar gets stronger I might look to the 85 later on.
Thanks everyone for their input and advice. Much appreciated.
12-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No more deciding on what to do. I ordered he FA77mm today....
You made a good decision. I'll be very surprised to read that you were disappointed. No need for second thoughts...

Cheers... M