Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Need some suggestions...

Hi,

I am a super noob here~

I just decided to graduate from P&S (Panasonic FZ-20) and going to get my first DSLR. After month of searching and reading, I was SO CLOSE to buy the Rebel XTi, then someone suggested me the K100D...

First of all, I would admit that I don't like Pentax at all, cuz my gf owns one compact P&S Pentax and I wasn't impressed at all @ picture qualities.

However, the RS really attracts me because ImageStabilizer on my FZ-20 was really useful... then I checked a lot of reviews and read a lot on this forum, I finally decide to get a K100D~

Finally, here is my question, what lens to get? There is a kit with 2 lenses which is very attractive, 18-55 and 50-200. Price is great and people seem to like them. But I plan to get a lens at least 300mm sooner or later...

(here is the better deal I could find in Montreal, local shop, CDN$)
Body only: 660$
w/ 15-55: 750$
w/ 2 lenses: 890$

1) Should I just stick with these 2 lenses for a while and forget the headache, shoot with FZ-20 if I need to shoot long distance?

2) or just get the 15-55, save 140$, sell my FZ-20 and get somethings like sigma 50-300?

If I go with option 2, there is another problem, the price of sigma is too high in town compare to the internet sources. (ebay...) How's everybody's experience shoppinig DSLR and lens on net? Should I be worrying about it?

Thx, appreciate it...

01-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Teko:

Welcome to the forum! I too came from the FZ-20 to the K100D. I think you will love the Pentax. I have the 18-55 kit lens and the 50mm f/1.4 prime. I thought about getting the Pentax 50-200, but have finally decided on the Tamron 70-300 Di LD. I really like the extra reach and the price is a little cheaper (in the US anyway). You might look into that as an option.
01-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Teko
I used to have FZ-20 too but after using DSLR I have actually given the camera away to my fiance's sister as a birthday present. After you have used a DSLR, you will appreciate the responsiveness of the camera when compared to a P&S.

Back to your lens question, I currently have both the 18-55 and 50-200 and I think they are a great combo. I will grab them if price is right. I also used to own a Tamron 70-300 LD (the non DI version) which has 1:2 macro. It is a good lens, the new DI version is even better, however, it is a chunky lens (in terms of size, not weight). I think it is about 1.5 times longer and the filter size is 62mm, compared to 52mm with 50-200. I will only grab the Tamron if you need the extra reach otherwise I will pick 50-200.

I usually get my lenses from US, from either B&H (Digital Cameras, Camcorders, TV's, Home Theater, DVD Players, Apple iPods) or KEH (www.keh.com). I won't hesitate in recommending them. I have been using them for more than 1 year now and no complaints so far.

cheers
Kenny
01-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi kjao:

How about duty and tax? I used to order many car parts from US, but the duty and tax from UPS really scare me away...

Do you get bill for tax after few months, hidden fees?

Thx...

Teko

01-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi kpfeifle,

Thx, I will take a look at Tamron... glad to see many ppl jumped from FZ-20.
01-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I'm not jumping from the FZ20 - I'm keeping it because it does a great job with the few really long shots I take and it's only worth around $200 now. It's been quite a fine camera and I wouldn't part with it for the world.

Right now I have the 50mmm 1.4 Pentax lens and the Da 50-200, ready for my K10D when it finally gets here.

My K10D will come with the 18-55 which, in spite of some of the off-handed reviews, seems to be quite a bargain.
01-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Teko

I'm a K100D user coming off of an old Fuji 2800Z (6x Optical Zoom, 2MP). My buddy has a FZ-30, and another buddy has a FZ-5 and I found them too be great cameras. I would like to have these as a backup camera.

I went for the camera and 18-55mm kit lens. My wife likes fisheye pictures, so 2 or 3 weeks after our initial purchase we bought the 10-17mm Fisheye. I miss shooting tight zooms, so I still keep the Fuji handy. I am on the verge of getting a used 80-200mm to keep my LBA satisfied and my costs down.

If you're tight on cash, go for the one lens kit (Camera and 18-55). Then save $250 for the Tamron or $325 for the Sigma 70-300 APO. Lots of threads in this forum about them.

You can also try these Canadian sites to compare pricing:

Henrys Henry's Camera Canada Photo - Video - Digital Camera's
and Vistek Digital Camera's Photo Video Camera Digital SLR - Vistek Camera Store - Toronto, Calgary Canada

I think Henry's has free shipping if you purchase a minimum dollar amount of equipment.

Be careful - LBA will get you good!

Happy shooting!

Last edited by Alvin; 01-19-2007 at 09:01 PM.
01-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Teko, welcome.
I have owned the Sigma 70-300 and was not very happy with it. Big heavy and not very sharp from about 230 or so on out to 300. I never used it at over 250, IQ was so bad. Don't know about the Tamron, on the other hand I have borrowed a Pentax 50-200 and liked it so much I bought one. Should be in my hands on Tuesday. Coupled with the digital Kenko 1.5 TC I'll get out to 300 and even with the TC my setup will be smaller and lighter than either the Tamron or the Sigma. I know that other ppl have liked their sigmas but mine was a dog.

NaCl(just my experience)H2O

01-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Hi Teko, welcome.
I have owned the Sigma 70-300 and was not very happy with it. Big heavy and not very sharp from about 230 or so on out to 300. I never used it at over 250, IQ was so bad. Don't know about the Tamron...snip.... I know that other ppl have liked their sigmas...
I'm sort of in the same boat. I have the Bigma 70-300 APO which seems soft around 250-300. I've never really gotten a great image at those lengths. It had some good reviews and was reasonably priced. Bought the Pentax 50-200 recently for the times I don't need the extra reach or don't want to be so conspicuous. The Pentax is about half the size and does not draw stares from everyone :-) I'd like to replace the 70-300 someday, but I don't know what with. Others say their 70-300 is sharp, so maybe it is the rumored Sigma QC issues...

Here's a weird one from yesterday with the Pentax. No filter or effects.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-04-2015 at 08:03 PM.
01-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thx everyone for the tips, very useful...

I've decided to pick up both kit lenses, 18-55, 50-200 tomorrow... The reason I was thinking of 300mm because I've used ultra zoom on my FZ-20 quite alot, I guess I'll just keep my FZ-20 for a little longer in case I ever need the distance.

Two nice kit lenses should keep me busy for a LONG while, then maybe I can save up and get a quality replacement lens...

Can't wait for tomorrow...
01-20-2007, 05:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Teko

QuoteOriginally posted by Teko Quote
Hi kjao:

How about duty and tax? I used to order many car parts from US, but the duty and tax from UPS really scare me away...

Do you get bill for tax after few months, hidden fees?

Thx...

Teko
Tax system is different from country to country so I can't say for you, but me (in Australia), the most expensive I have bought from US is around US$400~$500 and I didn't have to pay tax. I heard from a friend that if you need to pay tax on the item that you have purchased, the item will be held at the customes when it comes in so you will need to go in and pay the tax before you can pick up your item.

As for delivery charge, it really depends on where you get them from. Usually it ranges from US$25 to US$50 from US to Australia.

cheers
Kenny
01-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Voila...

01-21-2007, 03:43 AM   #13

Hi Teko,
congratulations. I think you did a very good buy. You have a quite small camera with quite small, very light lenses, which are extremely good value for money to my my opinion.
Forums in Germany consider the 50-200 as even better than the 18-55, which is already good.

I would keep these lenses for at least 6 months, to really know, if you are missing anything (Of course: if you have no budget topic, this recommendation does not fit). My personal opinion is: There is always something better, faster, more beautiful and so on. No reason to hurry up. This road has no end, so to speak. OK, ok, I am also not protected against temptations: A nice Pentax DA40 could really thrill your lens collection after a while.

By the way (I posted this in another thread yesterday):
A very experienced user in a german forum had the following quite clever recommendation about the combination 18-55/50-200:
Normally put the 50-200 onto your camera and the 18-55 into your pocket. Why? Situations, in which you have to be fast, usually require higher mm. In these situations you will not want to change your lens. The 18-55 is usually more often used in situations, in which you have the time to change lenses.

Teko, maybe my thoughts were intereisting to you and I am sure you will have a lot of fun with your K100D.

Greeting from Cologne (Köln), Germany, to Montreal,
Jacob
01-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacob Quote
I would keep these lenses for at least 6 months, to really know, if you are missing anything (Of course: if you have no budget topic, this recommendation does not fit). My personal opinion is: There is always something better, faster, more beautiful and so on. No reason to hurry up. This road has no end, so to speak. OK, ok, I am also not protected against temptations: A nice Pentax DA40 could really thrill your lens collection after a while.
Teko - Here's a prime example of LBA (lens buying addiction) at work By the way congrats. If you need any help, post the question and if I see it, I'll try to help you (just like the others here). I'm a K100D user too - it's a great little cam.

Jacob - Sorry man, I'm feeling the same way!
01-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Jacob,

I also find myself liking 50-200 more, anyways, can't really complain at both kit lenses...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Alvin,

I wouldn't want be a LBA anytime soon, lol... I need to get a new tripod now, I don't trust my POS old tripod anymore... Tripods are so expensive...

I have my eyes on Velbon Sherpa series, any experience? Thx...