Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

WR lens for K5IIs

I have a K5IIs but am still using my kit lens from K100D (18 - 55mm) on it. I'd like to get a good lens that I can travel with. Since the body is WR I'd like to have a WR lens. However, I've read reviews on the WR lens from Pentax and it doesn't seem that impressive. Can anyone suggest what I could get, either new or used?
Thanks very much,
Catherine

11-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Catherine Quote
I have a K5IIs but am still using my kit lens from K100D (18 - 55mm) on it. I'd like to get a good lens that I can travel with. Since the body is WR I'd like to have a WR lens. However, I've read reviews on the WR lens from Pentax and it doesn't seem that impressive. Can anyone suggest what I could get, either new or used?
Thanks very much,
Catherine
Pentax has lots of WR lenses. Are you just looking for a walkaround lens? I'd recommend the 18-135mm for that, it's pretty good and the AF is silent:

Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens 21977 B&H
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

+1 on the 18-135 for travel. My wife's kit is the 18-135 and the 55-300. Well it was until she borrowed my 35mm limited which I have not gotten back yet
11-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
yes this is the one that I have read reviews on: Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR.
Are there any other WR lenses like this (maybe faster?) that I can use on my camera but are sharper?
Thank you,
Catherine

11-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Are there any other WR lenses like this (maybe faster?) that I can use on my camera but are sharper?
How about HD DA 20-40!?! doesn't give you that reach but nothing else will give you that! or the DA* 16-50 is your other choice bigger and heavier, I'd prefer 20-40 for being lighter!
11-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Well when you say travel, I think longer zoom range and convenience are most important.

The 16-50 is a better lens but heavy. My travel kit is da 12-24, da*16-50 and da*60-250. But thats a load. My wife just goes with 18-135 and it is a lot easier to carry.
11-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I started a thread elsewhere asking a similar question, although the lens I currently use in a similar zoom range is the DA 16-45 f4, which really is a good lens, but I was wondering if there was something with better IQ. At the moment, there's doesn't seem to be anything with better IQ than the DA 16-45 f4 which is WR. I have found the DA 16-45 to be a great lens for travelling, and it's significantly sharper than the kit lens. The only issue I've had with it has been finding correct focus at infinity sometimes, but generally I just have to find a better contrast boundary, get the focus right, then reframe. You could pick up a DA 16-45 for a really cheap price now because it's discontinued, and frankly mine has been rained and snowed on quite a bit (not that I would standing in the pouring rain with it unless I had a brolly), and it's fine. I'm actually thinking of buying another copy since it's so cheap. Unless you plan on getting the lens seriously wet, I would be more concerned about the weather sealing on the body (which the K5iis has). Unless Pentax brings out a better IQ lens in the 16-50 range, I'll have to consider Sigma or Tamron, where of course you don't get WR.

Have a look at this review (which others pointed me to):
DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

You could probably pick up the Sigma for a very good price with the Black Friday sales. Or for half the price you could get a DA 16-45 and get a better lens than the kit lens.
12-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you so much to all for your replies! I will check out your suggestions. I was basically asking if there is another brand (eg. tamron) that sells a WR lens that is similar to the Pentax 18 - 135. Though many people seem to be happy with this lens, others have not given it great reviews due to sharpness issues. I'd like to have a lens which will match the capabilities of my K5iis - or am I wrong in my thinking? If a non-WR lens gets wet, is it a problem? Thanks for your help :-)
Catherine

12-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for your answer - I was hoping to have some zoom though.
12-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
Lens alternative

I have come across the
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary in my research. Does anyone have experience / an opinion on this lens, and having it instead of the pentax kit lens that i have as a general walk-around lens?

Thank you in advance,
Catherine
12-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you so much to all for your replies! I will check out your suggestions. I was basically asking if there is another brand (eg. tamron) that sells a WR lens that is similar to the Pentax 18 - 135. Though many people seem to be happy with this lens, others have not given it great reviews due to sharpness issues. I'd like to have a lens which will match the capabilities of my K5iis - or am I wrong in my thinking? If a non-WR lens gets wet, is it a problem? Thanks for your help :-)
Catherine
I had the WR 18-135 and was not impressed. Only slightly better than the kit lens. Maybe I had a soft copy? Anyhow I purchased a (used) WR DA*50-135 for $625 and boy what a difference. Trust me, this lens will give you the IQ you want and deserve. Below 50mm it seems the new WR DA 20-40 may be your go to lens but until we get more testimonials from actual users that is only a guess for now.
12-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I have come across the
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary in my research. Does anyone have experience / an opinion on this lens, and having it instead of the pentax kit lens that i have as a general walk-around lens?

Thank you in advance,
Catherine
That particular lens was reviewed here: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Based on the review it seems the contemporary version is an excellent value.
Here's a short (one of few threads) discussing the Sigma. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/233732-misc-test-sigm...temporary.html
I do have the 18-135 and for "me" it is an excellent value especially for a one-lens travel solution. I did have the same "soft" issue mentioned above and had to send the lens to CRIS for calibration - it came back perfect!
12-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I probably should have had my DA 18-135 calibrated but I purchased it brand new and didn't give it a second thought at the time. Would the calibration have been free I wonder?
12-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Would the calibration have been free I wonder?
It would have if it was still under warranty. My lens and camera (K5) were still within the warranty period - I sent them both. No cost for calibrations other than shipping. I practically gave up on the 18-135 and was waiting for the release of the Sigma 17-70 Contemporary. I just though I'd take advantage of the Pentax warranty. It was world of difference when the "couple" came back.
12-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #15

I have come across the

Thank you in advance,
Catherine
An excellent lens for a reasonable price. Not WR, though. I have a copy on my K-5 IIs practically all the time.

I also use a copy of the SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR. If you are looking at this and the Sigma above, and wanting WR, the Pentax is more appropriate.