Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,607
If you are looking for a wide angle prime in the future, be sure to check out the DA 15mm Limited. Not cheap but it's a wonderful lens if you see things in wide angle. I got mine to use with my old K-x and quickly became and remained a favorite, even after I moved on from the K-x.

As for longer lenses to gain reach, the DA (or DA L for less money) 55-300 is decent. The L version is also included in some kits, so the IQ is kit-level but pretty good when stopped down. Focus can be slow and noisy and if you get the L version, you should also get the hood separately (I got the no-name Chinese version for just a few dollars on eBay).

For versatility and a little nicer IQ than the 18-50 or 55-300 the DA 18-135 is a fine choice. Weather sealing is another plus but you probably won't use that much until you get a sealed body. Mine seems the sharpest at about f/11. A good choice for a day long outing where I won't want to change lenses and it might be rainy, snowy, or dusty.

12-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 79
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
If you are looking for a wide angle prime in the future, be sure to check out the DA 15mm Limited. Not cheap but it's a wonderful lens if you see things in wide angle. I got mine to use with my old K-x and quickly became and remained a favorite, even after I moved on from the K-x.

As for longer lenses to gain reach, the DA (or DA L for less money) 55-300 is decent. The L version is also included in some kits, so the IQ is kit-level but pretty good when stopped down. Focus can be slow and noisy and if you get the L version, you should also get the hood separately (I got the no-name Chinese version for just a few dollars on eBay).

For versatility and a little nicer IQ than the 18-50 or 55-300 the DA 18-135 is a fine choice. Weather sealing is another plus but you probably won't use that much until you get a sealed body. Mine seems the sharpest at about f/11. A good choice for a day long outing where I won't want to change lenses and it might be rainy, snowy, or dusty.
Great, thank you.

I was looking at this thread, and am completely floored by some of what i'm seeing concerning the 18-135. (Oh... seems many of the ones that jumped out at me are actually your pictures!)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-1...at-can-do.html



It was actually as we were staying in Rocky Mountain National Park at the Della Terra that we really started to wish we had gone lens shopping before the trip. :P
12-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian
mgvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 855
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but a fast way of seeing an analysis of all the focal lengths of pics in a specified folder is to use the free ExposurePlot software. Works great. Get it here: Vandel.nl the homepage for Wega2 the Image Viewer and Exposureplot the Exif Analyzer utility
12-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,834
The 55-300 is a good consumer grade long zoom. For the money, there is not much competition.

The new HD WR version is on a big discount sale right now...

12-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Fat Albert's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but a fast way of seeing an analysis of all the focal lengths of pics in a specified folder is to use the free ExposurePlot software. Works great. Get it here: Vandel.nl the homepage for Wega2 the Image Viewer and Exposureplot the Exif Analyzer utility
This is great! The thought of slogging through all my pics and checking exif data makes me ill, so this is a wonderful tool.
12-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 15
Interesting to read the above- I have used a Tamron 18-250 for a while as my go to carry lens- I wanted WR and wondered whether the 18-135 would be long enough as I thought I used that reach all he time - When I went to LR and looked at my most common focal lengths, I was very surprised to see that I was 35-43 most of the time and very rarely exceeded 140mm. If you had asked me what I thought before I would have thought that I was rarely below 100mm

Go figure

I ordered the 18-135 last PM

Steve
03-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #22
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 79
Original Poster
Got an email blast from Amazon yesterday, noticed they had a bunch of Pentax lenses in their Warehouse Deals.

Amazon Warehouse Deals @ Amazon.com: Pentax - Digital Camera Lenses / Camera Lenses

I apologize for the really wide open question to come, but i'm really a little lost trying to figure this stuff out. So here goes:

Any of those seem like really good deals? We're particularly interested in the zoom lenses $200 and under. I've looked at the Sigma 50-200 in the review database here and it seems to get good reviews in general.

Current lenses:
1) Kit 18-55
2) The 50mm Pentax 1.8 prime lens that i was told to get earlier. (She LOVES it by the way. Completely transformed how she's taking pictures.)

Still planning on getting a 35mm, but with Spring/Summer on the way, a zoom lens of some sort is on our radar.

I appreciate any help in advance.
03-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Ikarus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 471
QuoteOriginally posted by concealer404 Quote
Halfway through, the 18-55 kit lens really started showing its limitations, and i took this as a sign to upgrade my newly wedded wife in terms of lenses.
What limitations? Not fast enough? Missing Macro? Not long enough? Not wide enough? My recommendation would depend on your answer and on whether you are planning to keep the 18-55 or intend to sell it.

03-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #24
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 1,502
Particulary for travel, I'm not seeing the huge advantage of a 50mm 1.8 vs. only having an 18-55 zoom, but maybe the OP can clarify.

As for the used 50-200 sigma, I don't own it, but my guess would be the the non-OS 50-200 would be the lens to look for, if so inclined. Or the Pentax 50-200. You can find a used Pentax 50-200, or 70-300 Sigma or Tamron for less than the price of the 50-200 sigma listed, if you don't mind a slightly larger lens. You'd probably pay a little more for a 55-300 Pentax, even the less expensive plastic-mount version; the 15mm at the bottom end is an advantage over the 70mm lenses, depending on what other lenses you end up with. I have the 70-300 Tamron and 55-300 Pentax and they're pretty similar in overall peformance, assuming you get a good copy of each. My Tamron was under $70, in - as far are I can tell - excellent condition with all the original accessories.
03-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #25
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 79
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
What limitations? Not fast enough? Missing Macro? Not long enough? Not wide enough? My recommendation would depend on your answer and on whether you are planning to keep the 18-55 or intend to sell it.
It doesn't reach far enough, and doesn't seem to be particularly great up close either. For the moment, we're focusing on the "not long enough" issue.

We'll probably keep the 18-55.

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Particulary for travel, I'm not seeing the huge advantage of a 50mm 1.8 vs. only having an 18-55 zoom, but maybe the OP can clarify.

As for the used 50-200 sigma, I don't own it, but my guess would be the the non-OS 50-200 would be the lens to look for, if so inclined. Or the Pentax 50-200. You can find a used Pentax 50-200, or 70-300 Sigma or Tamron for less than the price of the 50-200 sigma listed, if you don't mind a slightly larger lens. You'd probably pay a little more for a 55-300 Pentax, even the less expensive plastic-mount version; the 15mm at the bottom end is an advantage over the 70mm lenses, depending on what other lenses you end up with. I have the 70-300 Tamron and 55-300 Pentax and they're pretty similar in overall peformance, assuming you get a good copy of each. My Tamron was under $70, in - as far are I can tell - excellent condition with all the original accessories.
Sorry, there's two parts to this thread. We already got the 50mm. I just bumped the thread instead of starting a new one for the most recent question, which is in two parts:

1) In the Amazon Warehouse link i posted, do any of those seem like a great deal?

2) If not, what's the "giant killer" budget zoom lens these days? ($200 or under)


What's the significance of "OS?" And why do we not want that?


I don't know why i didn't think of just looking for a used lens here on the forums...
03-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #26
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
If budget is only $300-400 that's barely enough to get the Sigma 50mm 1.4. With that limit you are better off buying some old AF lenses and some cheaper manual K lenses. No new lenses for you!!
03-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 79
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flinn Quote
If budget is only $300-400 that's barely enough to get the Sigma 50mm 1.4. With that limit you are better off buying some old AF lenses and some cheaper manual K lenses. No new lenses for you!!
I'm gathering I should have made a new thread for the current question?
03-24-2014, 03:57 AM   #28
Site Supporter
bassek's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 577
No need for a new thread.

1) New: go for the DA55-300 or the plastic mounted DAL55-300.
2) Used: look at the F35-135 or the F35-105 AND the F70-210 for less than $200. Throw in a manual prime or two (among others the M28/2.8, M135/3.5 or M200/4) for the same price.

Seb
03-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
Real (or imagined) IQ aside, there's a real advantage in having a good quality, mid-range zoom in hand if one isn't thoroughly experienced with the wide range of perspective and DoF available from WA to Tele focal lengths.

You can learn a lot about your FL preferences using a mid-range zoom with a good reputation such as the DA 18-135 or SP AF 17-50. The trick is to use the zoom as a handy collection of discrete primes rather than a slide-trombone and consciously shoot with the FL already chosen. (A wide rubber band or a piece of tape helps maintain a chosen FL.)

There's free software/apps that can sort through your photo directories and graph the focal length used as recorded in the EXIF of hundreds of images if the lens data is recorded. If not, you can append aperture data notes in many EXIF readers if you're organized to record that as you shoot.

With that information in hand, you can shop for primes with a high degree of certainty that you'll end up with lens you'll enjoy using without spending a lot of time and a small fortune experimenting.
03-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,861
Of course, being an 18-135 guy, I would shave said "get an 18-135, why would anyone go on vacation without one?" It's an upgrade to your kit lens, and gives you more reach. I guess you saw more situations where you wanted more light than you saw where you wanted more reach? Everyone vacations differently. I tend to vacation outdoors in good light where low light performance just isn't often necessary, but reach is necessary for wildlife... and flowers or just getting closer to something that's visually interesting at close range.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, da, deals, k-mount, kit, lens, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-30 is finally available in HK... at $1,410 for the 18-135 kit! Unsinkable II Pentax K-30 & K-50 9 07-13-2012 09:52 PM
Black & White We're Back (K-x + DA35 + Me) nate_b Post Your Photos! 13 07-19-2011 03:07 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax 18-55mm kit lens for the K-x eccentricphotography Sold Items 3 04-03-2010 11:39 AM
The Pentax 18-55 K-x Kit Lens benjikan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 02-25-2010 01:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top