Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
No need for a new thread.

1) New: go for the DA55-300 or the plastic mounted DAL55-300.
2) Used: look at the F35-135 or the F35-105 AND the F70-210 for less than $200. Throw in a manual prime or two (among others the M28/2.8, M135/3.5 or M200/4) for the same price.

Seb
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Real (or imagined) IQ aside, there's a real advantage in having a good quality, mid-range zoom in hand if one isn't thoroughly experienced with the wide range of perspective and DoF available from WA to Tele focal lengths.

You can learn a lot about your FL preferences using a mid-range zoom with a good reputation such as the DA 18-135 or SP AF 17-50. The trick is to use the zoom as a handy collection of discrete primes rather than a slide-trombone and consciously shoot with the FL already chosen. (A wide rubber band or a piece of tape helps maintain a chosen FL.)

There's free software/apps that can sort through your photo directories and graph the focal length used as recorded in the EXIF of hundreds of images if the lens data is recorded. If not, you can append aperture data notes in many EXIF readers if you're organized to record that as you shoot.

With that information in hand, you can shop for primes with a high degree of certainty that you'll end up with lens you'll enjoy using without spending a lot of time and a small fortune experimenting.
Excellent advice, thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Of course, being an 18-135 guy, I would shave said "get an 18-135, why would anyone go on vacation without one?" It's an upgrade to your kit lens, and gives you more reach. I guess you saw more situations where you wanted more light than you saw where you wanted more reach? Everyone vacations differently. I tend to vacation outdoors in good light where low light performance just isn't often necessary, but reach is necessary for wildlife... and flowers or just getting closer to something that's visually interesting at close range.

Ehhh... i think while on the vacation, it was more a matter of reach than anything. We lucked out and it was sunny pretty much the entire 3 week long trip and the sun is REALLY bright up at higher elevations. If i think about it, i'll upload a few pictures from the trip taken with the kit lens.

Now, not to sound like we ignored all advice in this thread (Well, we already got the 50mm mentioned a few months ago in this thread), but i decided to take a chance on the Tamron 18-200 that was in the Amazon sale. Price seemed good, and with quick Prime shipping, it looked better.

The pictures in the database taken with this lens looked really good and there wasn't a whole lot of criticism for the lens overall.

I think what we'll use it for is to completely replace the 18-55 kit lens and give some more reach. We'll definitely keep an eye out for the other lenses listed here (Particularly the 18-135 and the F lenses listed) to play around with as well.

But next i think we should get the 35mm prime.

This is the Tamron we ended up with. She's super excited to get it, should be here Wednesday or Thursday. http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF-18-200mm-Aspherical-Pentax/dp/B0007WK8NK/ref...5678283&sr=1-5

03-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by concealer404 Quote
For the moment, we're focusing on the "not long enough" issue.
We'll probably keep the 18-55.
If you keep the 18-55, the most logical choice would be the DA(L)55-300, which, incidentally, is my most-used lens.
03-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #33
Veteran Member

FWIW, I love my DA-L 55-300. It's a kinda soft from 80mm on down, but from there on out to 300, it's mighty good.
03-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by srock Quote
When I went to LR and looked at my most common focal lengths, I was very surprised to see that I was 35-43 most of the time and very rarely exceeded 140mm. If you had asked me what I thought before I would have thought that I was rarely below 100mm
Back in the day when an H1a or Spotmatic and a 28/35, a classic, fast 50 and a 135 were a poor man's dream kit, everyone knew to the half-mm what FL they really, really wanted. (I SLEPT WITH that SMC 85/1.8 when I could finally afford it!)

Today, with zooms so prevalent, it's not unusual to not have a real grasp of the FL's that get used the most. The best solution I've found is to ensure I treat every zoom as a collection of discrete primes that doesn't involve lens changes. That also makes one aware of any IQ issues across the FL range of a given zoom and the trade-off for versatility and convenience.

H2

- A demand for perfection, rather than convenience, is the key to frustration when using a zoom. It's the shot you'd never have gotten otherwise that counts. -

03-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #35
Pentaxian

You'd be surprised at how versatile, useful and surprisingly good the DA 35 2.4 is as a walkaround lens. It's the perfect "normal" lens for APS-C.

So what I'm saying is, if you are happy buying in the used market, you can get both the SMC DA 55-300 and the DA 35 2.4 for 400 or less. You will find yourself not using the 18-55 hardly anymore, at least that's what happened to me. I had to substitute the 18-55 for something better in the wider range (which is the only thing I was still using it for ).
03-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You'd be surprised at how versatile, useful and surprisingly good the DA 35 2.4 is as a walkaround lens. It's the perfect "normal" lens for APS-C.

[...] You will find yourself not using the 18-55 hardly anymore, at least that's what happened to me.
I agree that the 35/2.4 is terrific, but I didn't let go of my 18-55 after getting it. It still serves me well in the range between 20mm and 30mm.
03-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
I agree that the 35/2.4 is terrific, but I didn't let go of my 18-55 after getting it. It still serves me well in the range between 20mm and 30mm.
I did the same, for a while. But the difference in quality was huge, so I ended up getting something else to cover that range.
04-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #38
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Update: We're still trying to get a handle on the Tamron 18-200. Seems pretty soft in my opinion lower than 50mm, but that may also be overly critical after seeing what the awesome 50mm 1.8 is doing.

I promise i will try to remember to upload some of her pictures this weekend.

04-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #39
Veteran Member

As an FYI, I have a Sigma 18-200 DC (not APO), and its a decent 'walk around' lens, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.
When I compare it to my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, its day and night for sharpness.

I went with lensrentals.com to try out the Pentax DA 18-135mm WR. Its much sharper (a bit shorter) than the 18-200, but the sharpness (compared to my Sigma) makes up for it.

For any expensive lens, its worth trying before buying. I spent 3 weeks with the 18-135mm for < $100.