Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Need Help - Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm/f1.8

Hi,

I need some help and advice on how to fix my valuable Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm/f1.8 M42 Mount lens.
I bought this lens on ebay and received it today. While appreciating this lens without mounting it on a camera, I did a very foolish thing.

This lens has an Auto/ Manual switch and a tiny pin almost flush with the rear side of the lens.
While inspecting the lens and appreciating it before I mounted it on a camera, I changed the switch from Manual to Auto. But to get back to manual again, I tried to push the tiny pin slightly.
However, I may have pushed the pin too hard, as it fell inside the lens.
I could hear it rattle inside the lens.

A few times after I turned the distance scale and the aperture ring, I am now stuck with the lens wide open at f1.8 and the focusing ring/ distance scale just moves between 2ft and 3.75 ft, it does not move all the way to infinity.
I can feel the tiny pin stuck within the aperture ring or the focus ring

I realize my mistake, but I was hoping someone would help or advice on how to fix this lens.
Seems like the lens may have to be opened and the pin re-installed.
Or can any one let me know about a place, where they can professionally fix this lens.

I hate to loose this beautiful lens for I paid a good price for it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

12-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to read this. The A/M switch on your lens only works when the small pin is depressed. Attempts to force it can jam or damage the mechanism. It may be that yours was broken before you took delivery. It is likely repairable and the usual advice on this forum is to send it to Eric Hendricson. Here is a link to his Web site:

pentaxs.com

Steve
12-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the M42 Takumars require a lot of disassembly before you can get to the mount area where your pin is now. The typical construction means removing the trim ring, filter ring, focus ring and aperture ring to get to the screws attaching the mount to the rest of the lens. When reassembling you have to reset the focus to infinity. There are some articles here like this one that show how it's done. I don't know about your tools, experience or talent with that sort of thing. I would tackle it but my confidence would diminish a bit with the price of an 85/1.8. A professional service is an excellent idea. It's a good chance to get everything refreshed for another 40-50 years of use.
12-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1 for Eric. My Super Tak 50/1.4 came back beautifully reassembled.