Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Teleconverter for new DA-300mmF4 lens

I have the new DA 300mm F4 lens on its way. I was looking for a teleconverter to go among with but can't find anything offered by Pentax. A tread that was a couple of years old mentioned something about a new Pentax TC on the way but I couldn't find anything. I can find a Kenko 1.5X Teleplus - 4 Element DG Auto Focus-Pentax or a Vivitar 1.4x Teleconverter with AF for Pentax. The Kenko had an okay rating in the review here in the forum but the vivitar was not listed. Any advice or suggestion on a teleconverter?

12-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlh Quote
I have the new DA 300mm F4 lens on its way. I was looking for a teleconverter to go among with but can't find anything offered by Pentax. A tread that was a couple of years old mentioned something about a new Pentax TC on the way but I couldn't find anything. I can find a Kenko 1.5X Teleplus - 4 Element DG Auto Focus-Pentax or a Vivitar 1.4x Teleconverter with AF for Pentax. The Kenko had an okay rating in the review here in the forum but the vivitar was not listed. Any advice or suggestion on a teleconverter?
I would hold off until the Pentax SDM teleconverter comes out, which should be next year (according to the roadmap).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Next spring hopefully
12-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had the Tamron 1.4x converter, which gets pretty good ratings. However, comparing cropped vs TC on my DA* 300mm, I did not see much benefit using the TC. Probably higher resolution, but lower contrast. Sold it....

12-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the Kenko 1.5 with my DA*300.
Autofocus was inconsistent/frustrating.
IQ was good if you used manual focus.
It is a decent converter and AF worked fine with my screwdrive lenses but I sold it since it did not get much use.
12-02-2013, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May I ask why you feel the need for a TC when you have no experience with the 300? What are you pairing the 300 to? If your camera body has a modern sensor (K100D, or better), like the K-5 series, or better a K-3, its images can take very heavy cropping and with a little post-processing, hold up quite well.

The DA*300/4 has been my 'goto' wildlife lens for more than 5 years. I also have the Kenko 1.4 and Pentax 1.7 TCs. When I got them, I thought they might make a difference, but after lots of experimentation I concluded they do not. In fact, after trying many different ways to bring them into play, they always seem to degrade the image. For me, the 300 is a great stand alone lens. So when I go out, the TCs stay home on the shelf.

Give yourself a year to learn the 300 and work to develop a set of world class post-processing skills. Once you have a grip on these tools, I'll be very surprised to learn that you're still in the hunt for a TC.

my 2 cents...

Cheers... M
12-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
jlh

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. I will wait until the Pentax version comes out. I have used the 50-300mm but depending on exposure or aperture the images vary in IQ, thats why I wanted the 300mm prime. In the mean time while waiting for the new lens I dug through my old kit and pulled out my film era 200mm with a vivitar 2x converter to play with on my new K3 and try some manual focusing.

12-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlh Quote
Thanks for all the input. I will wait until the Pentax version comes out. I have used the 50-300mm but depending on exposure or aperture the images vary in IQ, thats why I wanted the 300mm prime. In the mean time while waiting for the new lens I dug through my old kit and pulled out my film era 200mm with a vivitar 2x converter to play with on my new K3 and try some manual focusing.
FYI the DA*300 is such a good lens that I have also tried an old manual 2xTC with it and the images were actually pretty good.
But if you can have the convenience of AF and just crop, especially with the K-3 24MP, why bother with a TC?
12-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I have to say that like Michaelina2 I have had my 300mm DA lens since 2008 and have been very happy with it. I already possess a Pentax 1.7x converter and find the combination works well, the quality is still good, but you have to be extra careful when focusing.
I did have a problem with a Kenko 2x converter, it worked fine with my previous body - K100D, but I had a major compatibility problem when I tried it on the K-r - the display was flashing on and off !
I have also recently bought a Pentax 1.4x-S converter from Korea, couldn't obtain one from anywhere else ! This converter also works brilliantly with the 300mm - K-r combination, excellent picture quality with only 1 stop extra.
So in my experience there are converters available which work fine, though I advise against the independent manufacturers offerings.
12-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I also have the DA*300 / Pentax AF 1.7TC, K5II, and in certain conditions it works perfect,and no loss of quality..you have to have exposure spot on,and maybe use MF at times.. I find that for long shots of birds/wildlife haze or whatever can affect quality alot. But also AF is faster I feel with the TC on,for BIF for example.But it takes time to learn this lens and a monpod or tripod is needed alot of times..but I get clear shots in a hurricanw winds of 35m sec with a monopod..so all is possible....
12-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
I also have the DA*300 / Pentax AF 1.7TC, K5II, and in certain conditions it works perfect,and no loss of quality..you have to have exposure spot on,and maybe use MF at times.. I find that for long shots of birds/wildlife haze or whatever can affect quality alot. But also AF is faster I feel with the TC on,for BIF for example.But it takes time to learn this lens and a monpod or tripod is needed alot of times..but I get clear shots in a hurricanw winds of 35m sec with a monopod..so all is possible....
I agree Shanti, you do generally need to use a tripod with a 1.7 converter on, though I have taken flight shots of an Osprey at 1/500 handheld which came out ok, the shake reduction system does help. Most of my best shots are taken using hides, whether at a nature reserve or at private location.
I am actually having problems with the AF on my 300mm DA - ie not working since last week ! Though I normally use MF anyway as I have missed shots when using the AF.