Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

It handles extremely well. Sigma and Tamron do not compare in this area. Good handling helps make the equipment more transparent.

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Its good to hear that your 16-50 is performing well...

12-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just received mine . Serial is 90435 Hoya on all of the materials. Have to decide what to do.........
12-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

When was my new 16-50 manufactured?

Keep it, Gary. It's a great price. Use it like hell the first 30 days. That is key. Spring for the three year warranty if u can.

Us Pentax shooters don't have the best of options in this category.
12-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'll post my serial number when I get home tonight.

12-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I just received mine . Serial is 90435 Hoya on all of the materials. Have to decide what to do.........
I just checked my lens that I got from B&H inn late October of this year and the serial number is 9047716. After looking at the list mentioned above I see similar serial numbered lenses being sold in the first half of 2011..... That is a little disturbing that really old stock is being sold by B&H without mention of it. I doubt anyone on this forum would buy a "new" DA 16-50 that hadn't had the problem motor fixed.... if it is as simple as popping in a new motor. Maybe the older lenses can't be fixed just another badly designed motor is used to replace the failed one.

Last edited by woodywesty; 12-03-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: poor sentence structure!
12-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This isn't B&H's fault. Pentax should have recalled unsold lenses once a fix was available.
12-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
not B&H's fault but could become their problem if Pentax issues compel us to return a bunch of lenses. If no one else beats me to it I will link to this thread from the Ask B&H forum.

12-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Good idea
12-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'd love to chat with the Pentax PR wizard who thought keeping this situation hush-hush was a good idea. You sir or madam, if reading this forum, are a flaming idiot!

Then again... maybe we're idiots for spending hard-earned cash on these things. One thing is for sure, investing in Pentax gear involves some risk. We're gluttons for punishment!
12-03-2013, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
I'd love to chat with the Pentax PR wizard who thought keeping this situation hush-hush was a good idea. You sir or madam, if reading this forum, are a flaming idiot!

Then again... maybe we're idiots for spending hard-earned cash on these things. One thing is for sure, investing in Pentax gear involves some risk. We're gluttons for punishment!
I think an attorney and a class action lawsuit would identify that person by another name........
12-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I posted a inquiry in the ASK B&H section. Pending approval.......

Also, If Pentax were going to raise the lens prices as much as they did, they should have picked up the inventory from the retailers and refitted them with the new components and returned them with some notation in the box that the lens had new components. Problem product needs to be off the shelves until the problem is corrected. Glad the food industry is not so lacking.
12-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Pentax should have done a lot of things to justify the price increases. Fixing the SDM issue for exisiting users and manufacturing FA Limiteds and DA* in Japan would have been a nice start.

Repairing the lenses would render them reconditioned and couldn't be sold as new.

Also, If Pentax were going to raise the lens prices as much as they did, they should have picked up the inventory from the retailers and refitted them with the new components and returned them with some notation in the box that the lens had new components. Problem product needs to be off the shelves until the problem is corrected. Glad the food industry is not so lacking.
12-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I believe this has been asked before. To my memory you'll receive a response along the lines of "we haven't heard anything official from Pentax regarding SDM concerns..."

12-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Heh, so did I. Your post was approved after I already submitted mine.
12-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
I believe this has been asked before. To my memory you'll receive a response along the lines of "we haven't heard anything official from Pentax regarding SDM concerns..."

I think that's what Randall at Pentax USA would say B&H usually has better customer service.