Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
back ordered means Ricoh is shipping out a pill of old Hoya lens from some warehouse in China.
China? Probably not. But Vietnam, that's a different story . . .

12-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Probably not if you bought it from B&H like I did.... I looked in October to see if there was an extended warranty for the DA*16-50 lens from Pentax just like the one I purchased for the new K3 but nothing. I think that tells us that Pentax (Ricoh) knows very well about the SDM motor issues and won't risk insuring them...
Oh well. I bought mine at B&H. I am going to bet that its reliability will be better than earlier serial numbers. Looks like crickets from our inquiry to B&H on the other thread.....
12-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Ask B&H forum says to expect 24-48 hours for a response so crickets are within tolerance. I plan to stop by B&H with my 16-50 Thursday evening because they're closed early Fri and all day Sat.
12-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The Ask B&H forum says to expect 24-48 hours for a response so crickets are within tolerance. I plan to stop by B&H with my 16-50 Thursday evening because they're closed early Fri and all day Sat.
Please let us know what you find out. I fear that we have raised an issue where Pentax is selling old (new old stock) lenses for a supposed discount that don't have the redesigned modifications in them. Never heard of a manufacturer producing mass produced products with randomly assigned serial numbers.....

Wondering if B&H hasn't responded because they don't want to have to announce Ricoh's decision to move old lenses?

12-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #50
Site Supporter

I think the only way to get a new stock lens is to wait to start seeing HD being advertised. My guess is that Ricoh has not made any DA* lenses yet since buying Pentax. Otherwise we would be hearing "new and improved". I doubt that they are selling many lenses at the current list prices. People like us wait for deals like BF to buy. That is stretching their inventory indefinitely.
I think the Engineer may have meant that SDM repairs would have a new and improved motor.
12-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got mine and I think I'm the winner of the oldest serial number 9034972...it's too bad I can't be the winner with something in the positive direction..i also bought the 3 year warranty..i think pentax or b&h should help pay for it
12-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

mine looks like it was made in 2010...now I'm really concerned!!!

12-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I think the only way to get a new stock lens is to wait to start seeing HD being advertised. My guess is that Ricoh has not made any DA* lenses yet since buying Pentax. Otherwise we would be hearing "new and improved". I doubt that they are selling many lenses at the current list prices. People like us wait for deals like BF to buy. That is stretching their inventory indefinitely.
I think the Engineer may have meant that SDM repairs would have a new and improved motor.
I wonder.... about the repair being done with new components. I hope that is the case but do we know that the new parts fit in our old lenses? Seems like these lenses are packed pretty darn tight which might require several parts to be modified in order to accept the new motor and whatever else failed. Could be that the improved motor will only be available in version 2 of the DA*16-50?? I'm not feeling good about Ricoh not owning up to the fact that they are selling a flawed product.
12-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #54

Photos: Albums
Pentax SMC DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 Lens

Have a look at this post if the user is right according to the last line then pentax serial numbers are not incremental with date of manufacture.
12-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Wondering if B&H hasn't responded because they don't want to have to announce Ricoh's decision to move old lenses?
It's the busiest week of the year and everyone is busy with lots of time-consuming trivia requests. B&H does not answer for Ricoh, nor would they have any reason be in Ricoh's secret loop.
12-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #56
Veteran Member

When was my new 16-50 manufactured?

This issue may be "trivial" for resellers but not for the users dropping a grand or more on a product that was supposed to be fixed.

I suspect the percentage of DA* returns within the first 30 days isn't out of proportion with other makes. If this is the case, resellers don't give a flyin' fluck what the "born on" date is for a given DA* lens. As long as it doesn't "boomerang" it's all good.

This issue and the resultant lack of communication falls completely on the shoulders of Ricoh.
12-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
This issue may be "trivial" for resellers but not for the users dropping a grand or more on a product that was supposed to be fixed.

I suspect the percentage of DA* returns within the first 30 days isn't out of proportion with other makes. If this is the case, resellers don't give a flyin' fluck what the "born on" date is for a given DA* lens. As long as it doesn't "boomerang" it's all good.

This issue and the resultant lack of communication falls completely on the shoulders of Ricoh.
You may be right that DA* returns aren't out of proportion with other makes but the problem is that we don't have any real data to know and it doesn't appear that Ricoh is talking. Unfortunately the only consistent method of getting the attention of a big corporation is with an attorney which costs a bunch of money and they know that. So that leaves us DA* owners just hanging. I made my thousand dollar gamble fully aware of the risk. If I lose then there are other very good manufactures out there to supply me with camera gear.
12-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
did you ever get a response from b&H
12-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
Oh well. I bought mine at B&H. I am going to bet that its reliability will be better than earlier serial numbers. Looks like crickets from our inquiry to B&H on the other thread.....
12-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
nope. And I really don't expect to.