Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Sears 135mm 1:2.8 Macro Pentax K Mount Lens

Hello,

I have the Pentax 55-300mm lens, which was costly to me. I was wandering around the web and seen the "Sears 135mm 1:2.8 Macro Multicoated Pentax K Mount Lens With Auto Aperture" and some photos that were quite good from this very cheap lens.


My question is, is this a 1:2 macro lens. I don't know a lot about lenses, but from my reading I think the 1:1 and 1:2 macro lenses are true macro lenses. Or is the 1:2.8 a description of the aperature of f2.8

I also understand that the Ricoh pin should be removed from this lens.

Thanks,

Michael

12-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
There are lots of Sears lenses, most are pretty good (made by Ricoh, etc), but some are crap -- any pics of the one in question you're talking about?
12-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
If it is the one I've seen it is 1:5, It has the magnification markings around the front of the lens showing 1:7, 1:6 and 1:5. Don't get it if you are expecting to get really close. The 1:2.8 is just a way of stating the aperture.
12-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
I'm not sure if I have the Sear 135 you are talking about but I do have a Sears 135 with macro lens. It's a solid build lens and works ok. It's macro feature is more a gimmick than of any real use. I don't have it near by to look but if it actually gets to 1:2 I'd be surprised. The macro feature on this and other telephoto lenses tends to really be a way to allow for 'close focusing' rather than true macro (1:1 or better) work. Yes, it's a cheap lens but compared to some other 135's I've kept this one as the best of them. OTOH, I find 135mm a difficult length to love on an APS-c camera. I used to love it in my film days but it's too long on my DSLR.

12-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Original Poster
Thanks to the 2 replies. If anyone can suggest a very affordable macro lens, please do.
12-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There are lots of Sears lenses, most are pretty good (made by Ricoh, etc), but some are crap -- any pics of the one in question you're talking about?
Mint Sears 135mm 1 2 8 Macro Multicoated Pentax K Mount Lens with Auto Aperture | eBay
12-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,145
QuoteOriginally posted by mjp29 Quote
Thanks to the 2 replies. If anyone can suggest a very affordable macro lens, please do.
Have a look for an M or previous macro lens. They only go to 1:2, but an inexpensive extension tube solves that problem. I use an M 100/4 and have a 50mm tube that changes the focus range to between 1:1 and 1:2. Even Takumar macro lenses (also 1:2) can be used with an adapter.


You can also just buy a set of entension tubes and use any prime lens. I've got on my "bucket list" to use the 50mm tibe with the Pentax Mount adapter K and my Takumar 55/1.8 on my K10d to see what happens.
12-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
Yep, that's the one with the gimmicky ring for "macro" that goes from 1:7 to 1:5, nowhere near real macro. And although I've heard nice things about it, my copy is crap -- soft, lots of fringing.

12-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
rbefly's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,030
Glowing Reviews?

Hello mjp29, welcome to the forum!
The Sears 135mm f/2.8 Macro is an interesting lens. While not a true 1:1 macro (it's about 1:5, or close-focusing) the lens does have one special feature. The 'Glow'. It somehow imparts a soft, heavenly aura around highlighted areas, especially at wider apertures. No other lens I've seen does this quite as well, it has a look similar to a diffusion filter, but more selective, only the brightest areas get the glow treatment.
However, it is otherwise not a great telephoto, not extremely sharp and the I.Q. is average.
For true macro, there are much better lenses available. Starting at about $100-$150 used, the Pentax M-series 100mm f/4.0 macro is an great entry into the closeup world. This is a manual focus, manual aperture (green button) lens. It's a 1:2 magnification ratio.
Also about $100-$125 (used) is the Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro, available in Pentax mount. This is a re-badged version of the Pentax 100mm f/3.5 lens, they are virtually identical except for a few cosmetic changes. The Pentax version sells for slightly more, $150 or so. Both are auto-focus, auto aperture, 1:2 ratio.
Once you get into 1:1 ratio, even the used prices go up quickly. Expect to pay $300 or more (with some, much more!) for a Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro ($500 new, $300-$350 used), Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 ($500 new, less used), or the Pentax DA 100mm f/2.8 ($900 new).
Check the lens review section here and the used equipment for sale forum, sometimes you can find a deal!
Good Luck,
Ron
12-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
Not sure about the heavenly glow...mine just looks bad...and it isn't sharp at any aperture. It does seem to work better at the close-distances using the ring, so maybe as a specialty lens only...
12-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello mjp29, welcome to the forum!
The Sears 135mm f/2.8 Macro is an interesting lens. While not a true 1:1 macro (it's about 1:5, or close-focusing) the lens does have one special feature. The 'Glow'. It somehow imparts a soft, heavenly aura around highlighted areas, especially at wider apertures. No other lens I've seen does this quite as well, it has a look similar to a diffusion filter, but more selective, only the brightest areas get the glow treatment.
However, it is otherwise not a great telephoto, not extremely sharp and the I.Q. is average.
For true macro, there are much better lenses available. Starting at about $100-$150 used, the Pentax M-series 100mm f/4.0 macro is an great entry into the closeup world. This is a manual focus, manual aperture (green button) lens. It's a 1:2 magnification ratio.
Also about $100-$125 (used) is the Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro, available in Pentax mount. This is a re-badged version of the Pentax 100mm f/3.5 lens, they are virtually identical except for a few cosmetic changes. The Pentax version sells for slightly more, $150 or so. Both are auto-focus, auto aperture, 1:2 ratio.
Once you get into 1:1 ratio, even the used prices go up quickly. Expect to pay $300 or more (with some, much more!) for a Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro ($500 new, $300-$350 used), Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 ($500 new, less used), or the Pentax DA 100mm f/2.8 ($900 new).
Check the lens review section here and the used equipment for sale forum, sometimes you can find a deal!
Good Luck,
Ron
I like the idea of the Pentax m series f4 for around $100 to $150.
You mentioned the 100mm version. I see more 50mm versions. Does the 50mm version mean you have to get closer to the subject ?
12-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,145
QuoteOriginally posted by mjp29 Quote
I like the idea of the Pentax m series f4 for around $100 to $150.
You mentioned the 100mm version. I see more 50mm versions. Does the 50mm version mean you have to get closer to the subject ?
That's exactly it. It is the same thing as with any other lens, the longer the lens (larger mm number) the more the magnification at a specific distance - actually it's a narrower field of view. Those of us who like to take pictures of bugs, particularly those that sting or bite, like the longer lenses. Those who want to take pictures of jewellery or stamps prefer the shorter macro lenses.


I own and use the M 100/4 macro, and it is a fine lens. Manual exposure and manual focus, of course. With the green button, manual exposure isn't any trouble and I use "catch-in-focus" for bugs. You set the distance, and when the bug is in focus the camera releases the shutter.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
135mm, 135mm 1:2.8 macro, k-mount, lens, lenses, macro, macro pentax, pentax, pentax lens, sears 135mm, sears 135mm 1:2.8 macro, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: PK mount, Sears 135mm 2.8 macro soft focus grahame Sold Items 34 10-31-2013 07:23 PM
Hoya HMC Tele-Auto 135mm 1:2.8 lens, Pentax K Mount + Case DaveHolmes Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 06-19-2011 10:31 PM
SEARS 1:2.8 f=135mm macro lens question luma Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-25-2010 07:14 AM
For Sale - Sold: Cased Sears 135mm F2.8 Macro Lens for K Mount SLR - Excellent Condition davealta Sold Items 3 01-29-2009 08:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top