Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Ricoh: give us that GR lens please, you'll sell lots of it

Am I the only one that would like a "DA AL" version of the 18.3mm f2.8 lens from the Ricoh GR?

Call it the SMC Pentax DA 19mm f2.8 AL, I don't care if it has a plastic mount. Then later do an HD Limited version of it...

Or even better, call it the Rikenon 19mm f2.8

I am constantly amazed at the output of the Ricoh GR and would love to have the option to have that lens as an option for a DSLR. I'm pretty committed to the Pentax APS-C system (and 35mm film), so buying the GR isn't really in the cards. Also, buying the 21mm f3.2 or the 15 f4 Limiteds isn't an option - too expensive. And a bit slow for indoor use.

Canon and Nikon have more than just 35mm and 50mm affordable primes, and that is one thing that I think adds to their appeal. Even Panasonic and Olympus seems to do pretty well with their 17mm (which is slightly longer in Micro 4/3, but still in the ballpark), plus Panny has the 20mm and the affordable 14mm 2.5 - lots of options for wider angle in that system! And the fact is that 28mm were huge sellers in the 35mm days, so an APS-C equivalent makes a lot of sense. I would certainly buy one, just like I bought a DA 35mm 2.4 a month ago, and will get a DA 50mm 1.8 in the near future.

Maybe if there's enough interest they'll do it? It's mind boggling that there's no affordable wide angle prime in the lineup or the roadmap.

12-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Am I the only one that would like a "DA AL" version of the 18.3mm f2.8 lens from the Ricoh GR?

Call it the SMC Pentax DA 19mm f2.8 AL, I don't care if it has a plastic mount. Then later do an HD Limited version of it...

Or even better, call it the Rikenon 19mm f2.8

I am constantly amazed at the output of the Ricoh GR and would love to have the option to have that lens as an option for a DSLR. I'm pretty committed to the Pentax APS-C system (and 35mm film), so buying the GR isn't really in the cards. Also, buying the 21mm f3.2 or the 15 f4 Limiteds isn't an option - too expensive. And a bit slow for indoor use.

Canon and Nikon have more than just 35mm and 50mm affordable primes, and that is one thing that I think adds to their appeal. Even Panasonic and Olympus seems to do pretty well with their 17mm (which is slightly longer in Micro 4/3, but still in the ballpark), plus Panny has the 20mm and the affordable 14mm 2.5 - lots of options for wider angle in that system! And the fact is that 28mm were huge sellers in the 35mm days, so an APS-C equivalent makes a lot of sense. I would certainly buy one, just like I bought a DA 35mm 2.4 a month ago, and will get a DA 50mm 1.8 in the near future.

Maybe if there's enough interest they'll do it? It's mind boggling that there's no affordable wide angle prime in the lineup or the roadmap.
It wouldn't be physically possible to release the same lens for the K-mount. One big advantage of fixed-lens compacts is that the lens can be developed just for that body, which means that its performance can be optimized.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
But I see it more as an engineering challenge rather than an impossibility - unless the optics are in the way of the mirror. Then they'd have to do a completely new lens.

Still, an inexpensive 28mm equivalent not existing, is a bit intriguing as everybody has always had something in that range. And it's what sells those compact APS-C cameras. They would sell well if they did one for the DSLRs.
12-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The optics are designed for a specific distance to the sensor plane. If the lens is designed for a longer distance than the native mount, you can use an adapter. If the lens is designed for a shorter distance, well it's not really possible to design an adapter with negative length.

12-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
But I see it more as an engineering challenge rather than an impossibility - unless the optics are in the way of the mirror. Then they'd have to do a completely new lens.

Still, an inexpensive 28mm equivalent not existing, is a bit intriguing as everybody has always had something in that range. And it's what sells those compact APS-C cameras. They would sell well if they did one for the DSLRs.
The GR has a short registration. If they could use the formula, at all, it would have to be as an XS lens for the K-01(where the lens can fit inside the body). I don't see that happening; but, like Adam said, a fixed lens will always have an advantage.

What I'd really love to see is a fixed lens camera, with a curved sensor, paired to a 35/1.8 (equivalent), of course custom sensors mean big bucks; and, if it happened, I wouldn't be able to afford it.
12-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, so the GR lens isn't possible, as is... but how about Pentax giving us something affordable in the 14-18mm range? I really hope the DA AL series doesn't stop with only two lenses.
12-04-2013, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how difficult it would be to make a GR lens for K-mount, but it has been done in Leica screw mount. It was very limited and very expensive.

RICOH GR LENS f=28mm 1:2.8 (Leica M39 screw mount)

They made a 21mm version too.

What seems obvious to me is to make a Q version of the GRD IV's lens. F1.9 28mm equivalent with no need for distortion correction would be great.
12-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I don't know how difficult it would be to make a GR lens for K-mount, but it has been done in Leica screw mount. It was very limited and very expensive.

RICOH GR LENS f=28mm 1:2.8 (Leica M39 screw mount)

They made a 21mm version too.

What seems obvious to me is to make a Q version of the GRD IV's lens. F1.9 28mm equivalent with no need for distortion correction would be great.
A nice bit of history, thanks.

You are right about the Q; that would be a popular lens.