Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been 'Fishing', 10-17mm

These are some shots I took with the DA 10-17mm lens this morning.

Last edited by konraDarnok; 04-14-2008 at 04:22 AM.
04-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here are few more

Last edited by konraDarnok; 04-14-2008 at 04:22 AM.
04-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #3

I'll be receiving this lens from a forum member on Monday. Your shots have me really looking forward to it!
04-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Curvaceous!

04-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Pffffffff, it's going to take so long to be able to afford one, I'm soo longing for it already. please stop posting pics with it.

looks awesome
04-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Something tells me this would have been better suited in the "Post your photos" forum.
04-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

well, he is showing the capabilities of a particular lens...

Nice shots, KonraDarnok.. I really like the ones of the church where you are facing into the sun.

04-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Something tells me this would have been better suited in the "Post your photos" forum.
Yea. I just got the lens in the mail Friday.

I wanted to get around to the review part. Everything you've read about the lens in online reviews is correct -- both good and bad. So I don't have much to add there, but I must say this is one very nicely constructed lens. I'd say it's the best made between my FA 50mm, DA 18-55MM, and the DA 18-250mm. The construction is more reminiscent of an M series 50mm than a current FA or DA.

It's also really good at the 'macro' shots. It makes a good lens for flowers. The close focus is something to behold. I just put the camera on the ground with the violet centered and 1" from the lens and took the shot.

The lens is also very compact. It's smaller than the DA 18-55mm and the DA 18-250mm

As someone mentioned in the forums, the distortion can be controlled. To me, shots from this lens don't look fisheyed -- it just exhibits extreme barrel distortion. If you crop off the extremes of the photo, it approaches a more rectilinear look. In any event, it doesn't appear to be as distorted on the edges as some fish eye lenses.

I bought it for the extreme field of view, and the distortions don't bother me -- but that is completely subjective.

I'm super pleased.

With regards to the purchase. I bought this at buydig.com. They had the lowest price I could find. I have no complaints with the transaction per se, but be advised they use Federal Express and require a person to sign for the package. I had someone home to receive the package. Two days in a row, they neglected to ring the door bell or even knock on the door; they just put a sticker on the window and said they would return tomorrow because no one was home. So Friday, I had my spotter, literally, run the truck down in the street with breaks squealing to get the package. Perhaps FedEx is totally incompetent or corrupt around here, but I don't think I'll be buying anything from merchants that use them in the future.

Last edited by konraDarnok; 04-06-2008 at 07:50 AM.
04-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great shots , probably does belong in the Post your Photos. The fisheye for me is the one lens I have I would not be without. It is a love hate thing a lot of people buy it and don't like it and sell it - not me enjoy you will have fun !
04-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I really like the last one of the cross looking up ... that's a powerful image right there.
04-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I really like the last one of the cross looking up ... that's a powerful image right there.
Thanks to all criticisms and comments on the actual content of the photos. But I really did want this in the lens section and not the 'post your photos' section to address some on the aspects of how this lens handled -- for people considering a purchase.

In the shot you're referencing, the crucifix was about 8 feet high, with the feet being about 3 feet from the ground, so I sitting cross legged on the ground with the lens about a 1.5' from the feet. I stopped the lens down to f/8 to get more depth of field. I was successful in what I wanted to accomplish I think.
04-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Looks like your fishing got you a lot of keepers. Great work I keep toying with the idea of getting this lens for a cruise in a few weeks. The shot of the cross is spectacular!!!! Great work on all but that one really pops.
04-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
well, he is showing the capabilities of a particular lens...

Nice shots, KonraDarnok.. I really like the ones of the church where you are facing into the sun.
That's why I posted those. That is full sun; it's not hiding behind a cloud. I think flare is very well controlled. I have some older coated optics that would not be able to handle that amount of exposure. Modern optic coatings are really exceptional, especially if you're used to how old optics used to behave.

I could have metered those shots differently, but I think the sun adds to the composition, and the lens handles it well.
04-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #14

Anyone have any rattle in this lens?
04-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Phazed Quote
Anyone have any rattle in this lens?
I just got mine today and there''s hardly any wobble for me. My 70mm Limited, that's another story...