Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Thanks for your thoughts.....in the end I'm for mage quality over starburts so will go for the HD. Now....can one get away without a DA70 in their light walkaround prime kit? ....a coupe of zooms and your mostly covered.....but this prime bug just keeps on giving!
Oh well.....just ordered the SMC DA21.......to compliment my HD DA15 and HD DA 40 at this point. I thought I should have either a 15 or 21 that can achieve the sharp starburst effect. Anyway, now to ponder the need for a 70 or 77 or make do with the Tamron 90 I already have.

Is making do a worthwhile aspiration or just a temporary state of a pre-purchase holding pattern?

12-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is making do a worthwhile aspiration or just a temporary state of a pre-purchase holding pattern?
In my case it's referred to as a 'myth' - I've been thoroughly satisfied with my kit twice this year and it's nearly all changed over again in the last three weeks..
Entering the Mind Drive: what a difference...
12-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Oh well.....just ordered the SMC DA21.......to compliment my HD DA15 and HD DA 40 at this point. I thought I should have either a 15 or 21 that can achieve the sharp starburst effect. Anyway, now to ponder the need for a 70 or 77 or make do with the Tamron 90 I already have.

Can't get too many Limiteds, can you? I ended up with a 70 even though I have a perfectly good DFA 100. In order to fool my senses I induced a "need" for something smaller in size and snappier than the 100. And the 70 is definitely not a close-focusing lens, so there's still a need for the 100!
12-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #19
Dan

I would go with the SMC version. As other have noted, the SMC 21mm has great starbursts. This is an important part of the overall rendering of the lens. I think that Ricoh/Pentax made a very serious mistake by introducing rounded aperture blades for these lenses. In my experience this does very little to improve the bokeh, which is mainly a function of other aspects of lens design. The newer coatings are nice, but the SMC versions are already so resistant to flare that the advantage is not large. I would love to have the new coatings with the old aperture blades, but that isn't going to happen until they release the HD-2 versions.

The combination of better starbursts and lower price makes it an easy choice in my opinion. SMC FTW!

Dan

12-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So I ordered the SMC DA21 yesterday ($535 (Aust$) inc delivery) and received a HD DA21 today……go figure! Their last SMC one had a scratch so they provided the HD as a substitute.

So now I have the 15, 21 & 40 and I'm telling myself that I don't need the 70….I don't need the 70……………mmmm FA31…..no….no…no just get off the bloody computer lusting over stuff and get out and engage in life and photograph some of it along the way!

Last edited by noelpolar; 12-10-2013 at 11:23 PM.
12-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter

no just get off the bloody computer lusting over stuff and get out and engage in life and photograph some of it along the way!
I heard that some people do this from time to time.