Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Last LBA for...

...who knows how long.

So, I used up my in store credit today on what will be my last lens. I bought a M24-50mm f/4 that looks like its in excellent condition. It will be my walk-around lens.

Looking around the net there is not a whole lot of info on this one apart from 1 comment on "lens flare" on Stan's site. Thats hardly a reason not to try this lens though. So, I took a gamble and purchased it anyway with a 58mm B+W UV filter. Photos will follow sometime later today/tomorrow.

Here is a photo of it on the camera, it's about the same sime as my M135;

04-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

wow you've got the M bug bad :P ... what are you looking at next? (i'll ignore your Last LBA comments)
04-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
wow you've got the M bug bad :P
Indeed, I like the IQ, build, pretty much everything about the M, A and K series.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d:
... what are you looking at next?
Something like a 200 or 300mm in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d:
i'll ignore your Last LBA comments)
So will I.

-
04-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

metalfab, I really like your lens lineup there - minimal and perfect. I haven't tried the zoom you just bought, but I own or have owned those M primes, and they're terrific. You look like you're building a collection you intend to use to it's fullest potential, and have chosen your pieces carefully. Kudos.

I do think you should pick up the M 200 f/4, though, it would complete your collection nicely - super sharp M glass at the telephoto end. I think someone has one in the marketplace for $70, and adorama has them for $70 also (just ordered one the other day, have always regretted selling mine - had to get that sweet, sweet M-ness back.)

04-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

metalfab, I really like your lens lineup there - minimal and perfect. I haven't tried the zoom you just bought, but I own or have owned those M primes, and they're terrific. You look like you're building a collection you intend to use to it's fullest potential, and have chosen your pieces carefully. Kudos.

I do think you should pick up the M 200 f/4, though, it would complete your collection nicely - super sharp M glass at the telephoto end. I think someone has one in the marketplace for $70, and adorama has them for $70 also (just ordered one the other day, have always regretted selling mine - had to get that sweet, sweet M-ness back.)
That M 200 f/4 was the one I have been passively looking at (haven't seen it locally yet). I say passively as I'm pretty happy with the M 135 giving me the reach I need, that and its size is very appealing. There is also a mint M 80-200 f/4.5 (series 2) for $90 Canadian in the same local shop. It has a linear aperture-coupled lever, like the A series has. We'll see what happens.
04-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentax M 24-50 f/4

Just a note as there is not much info on this lens;

The M 24-50 actually looks physically like a small DA 16-45, the barrel is the same diameter throughout. The zoom moves like the kit DA 18-55, at the 24mm position its extended, the 35mm position its retracted and the 50mm position is extended. BTW, it only extends maybe a 1/4 of an inch. The manual focus ring turns about 40%. When focusing it might extend another 1/8" of an inch. Its smooth and easy to focus. ...now waiting for a decent day for photos
04-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I just bought the A version last week...seems to be a good performer so far. I'm also using it as a walkaround...the Zenitar is a little too wide
04-05-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I just bought the A version last week...seems to be a good performer so far. I'm also using it as a walkaround...the Zenitar is a little too wide
Good to hear Ryan!

I have a question though, due to bad weather I ran a quick indoor test. I set the SR to 35mm and took an image at 24, 35 and 50mm. The 35mm was the only one that was perfect. I tried again, this time setting the SR to 50mm; same thing the 50mm was the best. So, I turned off the SR and all images at 24, 35 and 50mm were as good as each other. I used normal indoor lighting and was set at 1/20s. Have you tried a similar test?

I'll try it again tomorrow under better lighting, might try the flash before I turn in.

04-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hmm...I have not tried a test like that. I was hoping against hope that the SR wouldn't impact the image if left on, say, 35mm...while zooming in and out :ugh: That's why my manual zooms don't get used as much as they should

Edit: This lens is on the wide end, so SR wouldn't make a huge difference unless it's dark...it's not a 100mm+ lens. If I were using it exclusively at 50mm, I would turn SR on and adjust it appropriately. Ditto for other FLs.