Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Issues with Adaptall-2

I recently acquired an Adaptall-2 SP 35-80 CF zoom (O1A) with a P/KA adapter. Everything appears to be in good condition except,
With the lens mounted to my K-01 and aperture ring set to AE position, I can control the aperture value from the camera but if aperture stops down (K-01 adjusts aperture during LV), it rarely returns to fully wide open.
For example, I was trying the lens out, I had it set to 35mm and f/2.8 (via K-01) took a few photos and noticed each photo got darker and darker and my ISO kept climbing.
Is this a faulty lens, faulty adapter, or is it a quirk of the K-01?

12-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Not the camera. Lens with sticky blades, or adapter faulty or improperly mounted to lens.
12-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
it rarely returns to fully wide open
Probably faulty adapter. The P/KA adapter can be prone to not being smooth. Mine returns to full open, but I am often not sure if it is fully stopping down.

You can test the aperture mechanism on the lens with the adapter removed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-09-2013 at 01:38 PM.
12-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Not the camera. Lens with sticky blades, or adapter faulty or improperly mounted to lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Probably faulty adapter. The P/KA adapter can be prone to not being smooth.

You can test the aperture mechanism on the lens with the adapter removed.

Steve
I just tested the lens and adapter on my PZ-1 and it seems to work perfectly. I set the aperture to f/22 via camera and then fired the shutter 10+ times and aperture blades opened up fully and instantly.
I wonder if this is some quirk of the K-01. I had similar but slightly different issues with a Sigma AF lens and I just figured the lens was faulty.

With the lens unmounted, I can move the aperture control lever and the blades move freely and instantly.

12-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Same lens & same adapter also sometimes misbehaves with me on K5. It usually takes me 2-3 tries before it's seated properly and behaves.
12-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, adaptall mean that all have to adapt a bit to use it! I get it. (ok, I've not had this problem with my adaptall mounts but they are always in need of a few good wiggles prior to successful use).
12-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I did discover that weird issue with the PKA mount and setting shutter speed (find my post about it in Adaptall Mount Club) -- they can certainly just be screwy. However testing just now on my K-01 with a few lenses and pointing at a bright subject (and then away) the aperture partially closes and then opens again as normal.
12-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a fair amount of rotational / mechanical friction in the adapters. Check that your camera batteries are up to snuff. Do you have an older K or M mount lens to compare the action with?

I've found over the years that a few drops of lighter fluid/naptha in the adapter mechanisms followed by activating all the monkey-motion thingies helps keep 'em free(er).

The 01A's usually a well behaved lens on all of my bodies.

H2

12-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've run into the issue where if the adapter isn't on just right, the body just gives the F-- instead of an aperture value.
This is weird in that the aperture doesn't open back up properly, but only when it's mounted to my K-01.
12-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I've run into the issue where if the adapter isn't on just right, the body just gives the F-- instead of an aperture value.
This is weird in that the aperture doesn't open back up properly, but only when it's mounted to my K-01.
Try setting the K-01 body to manual focus if it isn't -- it has that retracting gear that might interfere with something.