Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Kit lens surprises!

I shot in my backyard today under cloudy skies. I used several different lenses including a zoom or two or three, and some of my favorite primes. I even used a 600mm mirror from several feet away and got some spectacular results.

However, the best images were achieved using the standard kit lens. I'm shocked!

All images are cropped to fit into this post. It's a shame as the background and bokeh are awesome. All images were shot with the Pentax DA-18-55mm @ 55mm. I used only natural light. This lens has been somewhat disappointing at times in differing light conditions producing "flat" images that lack depth. However, these images maintain that three dimensional quality I'd hoped to achieve. Overall, I'd have to say the kit lens is pretty good!
452101-kit-lens-photos-sg1l9399crop.jpg[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

04-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

excellent pics. if you hadn't said it was kit lens i never would have guessed. great detail and depth
04-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I appreciate that!
04-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now a few from the 50-200............

I took these a couple of weeks ago around Napa Valley, CA.

Attached Images

04-06-2008, 04:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

50-200 pics

Those are amazing! Like with your 18-55 pics, I wouldn't have guessed the these had come out of the 50-200 if you hadn't of mentioned it. Good job!

Heather
04-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

the kit lens is a god lens and i think that Pentax did a good job with it. no it is nothing fancy BUT it is one of thows lenes that just works well. i use mine all the time.
04-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

will be retesting my 18-55mm with the k20d when the buds finally burst here in chicago. excellent pics all around
04-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #8

The colors look great!

Do you use some special method for postprocessing to get the color "jump out" like that? Would you share it with us?

04-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
The colors look great!

Do you use some special method for postprocessing to get the color "jump out" like that? Would you share it with us?
I did no re-touching of any kind with the exception of cropping. The images were shot with a Samsung GX-1L. The images are shot at the highest quality setting, 6m, and in JPEG mode. I bought the camera from a large retailer, and it was the floor model. No accessories, no manual, and NO SOFTWARE! I have no means to retouch the photos! Can anyone recommend software that's easy to use, easy to learn and low cost or free?

Incidentally, I will do a comparison between the Pentax SMC DA18-55 lens vs the Samsung D-Xenon 18-55 Schneider Kreuznach that the camera came with at a later date. I'm curiuous to see if there is a difference with SMC
04-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A couple of free, but decent software programs that I use are Irfanview and Picasa. Picasa is the easiest to use, but I love Irfanview's batch conversion feature, which you can use for renaming, changing formats, and changing sizes of multiple images.

HTH,
Heather
04-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
A couple of free, but decent software programs that I use are Irfanview and Picasa. Picasa is the easiest to use, but I love Irfanview's batch conversion feature, which you can use for renaming, changing formats, and changing sizes of multiple images.

HTH,
Heather
Heather forgot to mention that Picasa does RAW conversion. Another free option might be "the" GIMP. "The" GIMP is very a powerful alternative to Photoshop GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program. Although the user interface is a little strange, it is worth a look-see. There are plug-ins for RAW conversion on "the" GIMP.

If you have a few dollars to spend, the current king for general post-processing is Adobe Lightroom. Lightroom's RAW conversion (ACR) is common to both Photoshop and Elements and is much better than the Pentax software or Picasa. For less money there is Adobe Elements and Corel PaintShop Pro (both available under $100). For a lot, lot, lot more money there is PhotoShop.

I use Picasa on my laptop (on the road) and a combination of Lightroom and PaintShop Pro on my main workstation at home.

A posting to the Post Processing and Software Forum on this site may yield additional information and advice.

Good luck!

Steve
04-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by w6wat Quote
I did no re-touching of any kind with the exception of cropping. The images were shot with a Samsung GX-1L. The images are shot at the highest quality setting, 6m, and in JPEG mode. I bought the camera from a large retailer, and it was the floor model. No accessories, no manual, and NO SOFTWARE! I have no means to retouch the photos! Can anyone recommend software that's easy to use, easy to learn and low cost or free?

Incidentally, I will do a comparison between the Pentax SMC DA18-55 lens vs the Samsung D-Xenon 18-55 Schneider Kreuznach that the camera came with at a later date. I'm curiuous to see if there is a difference with SMC

I also have a gx-1l. Great little camera. I will never sell it. I keep it as a backup to my 2 k10d's. Picasa is pretty decent to start with.
04-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

HTH,
Heather
Thanks Heather! While I was looking for Irfan, I also ran across another program called FastStone and it's fantastic as well! I'm going to play around with both for awhile.
04-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW! simply stunning irrelevent of lens used...with the lens info., I am speechless.
04-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #15

Great photos all, but your bluebonnet photo is amazing.

Two of my Pentaxium day 'gallery' shots were bluebonnet 'macros', but neither compares to yours. Mind sharing your camera settings & EXIF?

And I too typically only use picassa. But as I'm hoping to switch to raw in the future (jpeg only now) I guess I should start taking notes. :-)

Thanks!