Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
white balance on Tak 50mm f1.4

I picked up a 50mm f1.4 Tak "Super-Multi-Coated Takumar" serial 4818670 from KEH a year or so ago and I didn't use it back then because of an odd yellow color cast. It became a shelf queen until a few days ago when I threw it on my Olympus OMD EM-1 and took some shots. One thing I noticed was that the images were free of this yellow color cast, at least on review. So I threw it on my K3 and found the same thing, the yellow color cast was gone!

Odly enough when I threw them into lightroom 5 the preview image shows what I saw on the back of the camera, but once LR5 processes the image after I click on it I get a green color cast. White balance on the K3 and the OMD was set to auto.

My eyes are crap anyways because I back focused from where I thought I was in focus according to the view finder, but thats nothing the camera can fix, only me getting to an optometrist.

I really want to enjoy this lens, but I'm getting torn up with the color casts. I've heard that if I leave the lens out in sunlight it can help. Is there any other way? It's winter now.

It works great in black and white...

12-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used to change the white balance in the K5 to get rid of the yellowish color but this might help:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/47543-takumar-yellow-cast.html
12-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Auto white-balance will always be a hit and miss and some cameras will compensate more than others.
12-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The Tak might be yellowed and it might be not -- just open it up all the way and hold it up to a white wall -- what you see through the lens should be more or less than same color as what you see with your eyes just next to the lens looking at the same background (there will always be a slight difference). Yellowing is usually obvious when looking at it like this. If it is yellowed, stick it under a UV lamp or desk led light for a few days (jam the light right onto the glass basically -- it will clear a lot faster than the sun method). Yellowing should be gotten rid of as it also affects the sharpness of the lens.

BUT, when using manual lenses on Pentax bodies, it is very common for the AWB to be off and to give a yellow cast, especially indoors. Probably something do with it not being able to use matrix metering on these lenses. (I only have experience with bodies pre-K3.) This can be easily corrected in post (if you are shooting RAW) just by adjusting the white balance later. JPGs could be tougher, just another reason to shoot RAW I guess...

12-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Odly enough when I threw them into lightroom 5 the preview image shows what I saw on the back of the camera, but once LR5 processes the image after I click on it I get a green color cast. White balance on the K3 and the OMD was set to auto.
I guess LR does not apply the in camera settings to your RAW file or applies them incorrectly. You can try the same excercise with the software that came with the camera(s) if you have that installed.
12-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This guy claims good results from an Ikea desk LED lamp.

Fastest Tool to clear yellowed Thorium lenses | Nortega

It's worth a try, and at least you get a nice desk lamp as well.
12-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
This guy claims good results from an Ikea desk LED lamp.

Fastest Tool to clear yellowed Thorium lenses | Nortega

It's worth a try, and at least you get a nice desk lamp as well.
That is exactly what I have done, and it does work well. Previous to that I used a reptile bulb in a old decorative paper lamp that I lined with tin foil. The LED lamp is much much easier than any other method and only costs $10 if there is an IKEA nearby -- I'm sure there are similar lamps around. Put a piece of tin foil underneath the lens to reflect the light back up and it will speed it up.

12-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Are all LED lamps created equal though?
12-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Are all LED lamps created equal though?
Don't know, but the IKEA one doesn't seem like anything special.
12-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You reminded me of the Jansjö trick and I had one on the table, so now it shines trough my tinted super-takumar.
12-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, lamp has been added to Christmas list.
12-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have one of those ikea led lamps sitting next to my bed I use for reading at night , I don't own any super takumar lenses but im wondering if same method works for getting rid of fungus ?
12-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
I have one of those ikea led lamps sitting next to my bed I use for reading at night , I don't own any super takumar lenses but im wondering if same method works for getting rid of fungus ?
Will stop it from growing, but won't get rid of it.
12-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Depends on what part of you is infected. Mouth? Feet?

Steve
12-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Amazingly the lamp seems to work! 1½ day cleared the worst of it. Though I guess the coating on the front element should be really yellow.